Call your shot -- who's our next coach?

Keeler’s had his name bandied about, but it’s unlikely that we hire him, as it should be. He inherited a great team from Fritz and has no FBS-level experience. He’d be a much better candidate if he got a stepping-stone job first at a place like Rice or UTEP.

I think we go Sonny Dykes after being turned down by Holgo and Leach. Baylor will hire Montgomery before we can move on him.

I think we go with Orlando. Hard to find good D coaches and he’s got intensity and love for the players.

On offense, I could see us taking a shot on Phil Longo from SHSU. He hasn’t been above FCS, but his offenses have been Top 10 wherever he’s gone.

2 Likes

Applewhite… yeah, I like running up the middle on 1st and 2nd down and then looking at 3rd and long. That really appeals to me.

1 Like

My top two are Holgo or Leach.

I’m seeing Holgerson, Dykes and Leach…that my friend will never happen…I love the Cougars but we are a mid level D1 in the AAC…Do you think those guys would leave power 5 FOR Houston? No way!!
I guess if you want to dream then dream big but let’s be realistic…

A handful of reputable sources have all said Holgerson to UH is a realistic possiblity if Fertitta shells out the money.

1 Like

Honestly, after they pulled Herman or of nowhere, I realized I have no frickin clue about any candidates… I agree with a previous statement that as long as its not Briles I’m behind the guy 100%! Will some people excite me more than others, yes of course. But being realistic it would be for two reasons, I know how ignorant I truly am about football and the coaching circles and I’m a good judge of attitude. So #anybodybutbriles(inspired by anybody but trump lol)

As of right now, I think Orlando is the best option. We have a strong defense that has won big games for us. We won’t be able to just go find another good D coordinator. Also, better chance we can retain Applewhite as OC (if desired) than Orlando as DC since CTO seemingly has more options.

Charlie Strong HC, Lee Hays OC, Elijah Robinson DC

If not Orlando, then Dave Aranda.

1 Like

Aranda just signed a new contract at LSU yesterday. I don’t think he’s anticipating taking a new job.

Take Monty from Tulsa. It’s Briles without the baggage. He has deep Texas ties and runs babe offense. I would lock him in for 4 years with a heft buyout.

Thank you for the posting. Very quickly a few thoughts on this.

Holgorsen: I do like him a lot but why would he leave WV after having his best year? His son plays QB and is a sophomore? That would be a great choice but he will need to bring a stout DC. It is great to score points but defenses win games.

Applewhite:
uta grad. I do not want a HC related to our enemy banned or not. Just imagine if he has success? uta bobble heads are going to point out that he is one of theirs.

Spavital:
His offense is very prolific. Six/seven recruits from Texas, two from the Houston area. Brother coaches at ttu. Interesting choice but how deep are his recruiting roots in the Houston area? Maybe some of you can answer that.

Lindsey:
He has no connections to Texas/Houston area. I can tell you first hand that their offense started the season well but they have struggled in the last six games. Why go there?

Martin:
No Houston ties equals no.

Mike Bloomgren:
No Houston ties equals no.

Tony Elliott and Jeff Scott:
No Houston ties equals no…but the HC research firm is based on the East Coast and has strong ties to the A.C.C. Coincidence? One of these two could be on the radar screen.

Sterlin Gilbert:
Strong ties in Texas but what about the Houston area? Anything related to uta repulses me.

Ed Warinner:
No Houston ties I believe that equals no.

Joe Moorhead:
No Houston ties I believe that equals no.

Sonny Cumbie:
Leach tree, was a QB, Pro. Interestingly look at the points against similar small12 type air raid offenses:
ttu: 24, Wvu:10, baylor: 62, osu: 6. ou: 40. I am sure he has solid ties in the greater Houston but that needs to be confirmed.

Tim Drevno:
No Houston ties but he is an interesting choice. He is ties at the hip to Jim Harbaugh. Jim got his first HC job at the University of San Diego. I can tell you first hand that this team became a machine and nearly unstoppable. They both went on to Stanford turned a terrible program into a power one, 49ers and Michigan. Out of all the non-Houston related candidate he is the one that stands out for me. You can be sure that nationally he is highly considered as a future HC. If he wants it…

Lincoln Riley:
He just got named new OC at ou so why would he leave? He is not ready. He needs a few more years.

Mike Sanford:
No Houston ties equals no. He is not ready to be a HC.

Lane Kiffin:
Has strong recruiting ties in California and Texas. Strictly from that perspective this would be a huge plus. Even though he failed at USC he has some major connections within the PAC12 on and off the field. What’s in it for him? Prove to the naysayers that he can be a HC. He will inherit a strong team and can recruit. He surely has learned greatly from these past seven years. I am confident he would put together a great Coaching staff. This is a huge gamble but he would surely keep us in the national conversation. Do we want to make that leap? It is highly risky for sure.

Charlie is getting a $10M buy out. I would think that he would seat out a year.

Why isn’t Les Miles getting more interest? We have a national champ and 3 time SEC champ coach who just lost his job for losing a total of 5 games in two season just 3 hours east of here. He still wants to coach and likely wouldn’t be looking to jump ship to something bigger if he had success here.

The only downside is that antique offensive scheme he always ran. If he’d hire an OC that was younger and more innovative I could see him having a TON of success at UH. Imagine Ed Oliver in a Les Miles defensive scheme. Thoughts?

2 Likes

If Les Miles is interested and willing to hire a great OC I think you have to make that hire. He would be able to recruit our area brilliantly and his one drawback would be fixed, but who would he be able to hire as OC?

Because I am sure Applewhite will be calling plays as a HC. What Applewhite has over Orlando is a long standing history in recruiting Texas as well as having worked under Brown, Saban, and Herman/Meyer. Orlando doesn’t have the Texas ties despite being a fantastic D coordinator.

1 Like

Do you see the linebackers we have committed for 2017? I think CTO would do just fine recruiting the area.

The question about CTO is can he develop a secondary that will not get gashed by good quarterbacks.

If UH hires Applewhite, CTO is gone. It is possible that if you hire CTO you could still keep Applewhite. In this scenario you have the defense intact and all of Applewhite’s Texas recruiting connections.
Just a thought.

1 Like