Call your shot -- who's our next coach?

I have never heard of an Assistant hanging around after he was denied the HC position. Just sayin’. Applewhite will leave if he doesn’t get the HC job, and I agree… Orlando would leave as well if Applewhite got the job.

However, Tillman did indicate this morning on 790 that they are in fact vetting Briles. So… there is that.

Yes, I do think some of these guys would leave P5 for Houston. Let’s look at Holgerson, as he’s currently my top choice.

• He makes the same amount of money at WVU as Herman was making here, but he has to pay state income tax in WV.

• It’s no secret he doesn’t mesh well with the administration at WVU, which is why he turned down the previous extension they offered him.

• Recruiting in the West Virginia area has to be a freaking nightmare, at least compared to recruiting Houston.

• I don’t know what WVU’s facilities are like, but with our new stuff already here and coming on line soon, our campus is going to look P5. Their stadium currently seats 60k and ours can be, and will be expanded to seat the same amount.

• We all know we are primely positioned for the next round of expansion and conference realignment. I place the odds at us being P5 in the next 10 years as far better than remaining G5.

• I can’t imagine the quality of life is better in Morgantown than it is in Houston, unless you just really hate city life.

• A good year at UH gets you to a NY6 game. A good year at WVU gets you to…a NY6 game. WVU has shown as much ability to get to the CFP as Houston has in the recent past.

So, if the money is the same or better, recruiting is WAY better, quality of life is better, winning is easier and just as rewarding, and our administration is easier to work with, why wouldn’t he jump from a mid-level P5 to Houston? I don’t think you can compare P5 to G5 in such a blanket manner because not all P5s and G5s are created equal. Let’s not sell ourselves short here.

1 Like

Orlando would almost certainly go with Tom to Texas if he doesn’t get the HC job. However, I could see Applewhite sticking around. With his situation at Texas, doubtful Tom would bring him in.

1 Like

Just out of curiosity, exactly how clean were Montgomery’s hands in all the Baylor scandals? He’s only been at Tulsa for 2 years and hasn’t the rape stuff been going on at Baylor for a while? Not making accusations, but just curious. Maybe he got out in time before everything started happening. For what it’s worth, I think Baylor would snatch up Chad Morris before Montgomery.

1 Like

I can’t believe Briles is even being discussed. Would we hire Herman or Sumlin? I don’t blame them for what they did, I understand (as The Godfather taught us), “it’s just business”, but how dumb of us to consider any of them again? Just like I don’t understand people who divorce and remarry the same person.

As far as Montgomery goes, wasn’t he recruiting players for Baylor while on UH’s payroll before Maggard rand him out of town?

Montgomery was there during the problems. Beyond that, who knows who was involved in what. So much is covered up at Baylor that it’s hard to tell.

For example, last week, settlements were paid out to 2 rape victims that had been gang raped by football players. These victims were “new” in that they are not part of any of the other suits that are ongoing and has not been reported to the media before. Baylor basically paid out hush money to them before the details came out.

That’s why I cringe any time Briles or anyone associated with Baylor during that time is mentioned. We have no idea what’s out there and all it would take is a couple of ladies breaking their silence on national TV to have a ton of bad press on us if we do hire one of them.

I heard the Tillman interview this morning: host asked him if we would consider Briles and Tillman gave the political answer of needing to find out more before considering him. Those are trap questions right now; we hire him, we will be skewered for a long time. If he has any success, that’s the first thing that would be mentioned about him. We can’t have that.

I mean, look at Liberty hiring McCaw (recently fired Baylor AD) yesterday. The media is taking them over the coals right now. That’s a small school that folks will forget about. We’re a bit different.

1 Like

Yep

Too many P5 jobs are over hyped and over valued. In the week 8 rankings, we were 6-1 at #11 and West Virginia was 5-0 at #12. When they lost their first game, they fell behind 7 teams with 2 losses. It wasn’t like they had a cupcake schedule either, overall it was probably tougher than ours in the first half of it. They were #18 in the CFP rankings when they were 8-2 with losses to top 10 OU and OSU, we were at #20 with losses to #25 Navy and SMU. 4 teams with 3 losses were ahead of them. The only way a West Virginia makes the playoff is an undefeated season, and then it is still not a lock. Pretty much the same as us.

1 Like

That’s not a trap question. It’s a question with a pretty clear cut, correct answer: “no.”

Agreed. TF went with the political answer because we have big money donors that want him back. Doesn’t want to upset them.