Can we please stop giving UT TOO MUCH CREDIT!

Hopefully, the Bonghorns actually sell the land to a residential or commercial developer for real and not pull some kind of underhanded scheme on us, such as a new medical school to compete with our medical school! If UT does sell the land for real without any kind of trickeries then the folks at UT have my respect! Thank you very much, Bonghorns!

For those in the know - can y’all break down the facts of what happened with the land? I wasn’t privy to all the goings-on when it happened.

It sounds like there was some intermingling between UH being admitted to the Big XII back then and with UH fighting the development, so UH was left out of the XII; however still got the med school? Is this all related?

No, there was no quid pro quo regarding the UT land for UH being admitted to the B12

What I recall happened was a local UT architect alum had donated the land to UT. UT immediately put up renderings of a UT system college campus in Houston, complete with a stadium etc. That quickly drew protest from UH because of the duplication of resources as UH being the main public university system in the region and the UT system egregiously circumventing Texas legislative approval which is required for any such collegiate development. The state pretty much sided with UH and forced UT to sell the land. I believe the UT president either resigned or was shown the door as fall out to this incident

1 Like

FWIW, I’ve been told that the property is heavily contaminated from its days as an oilfield and is going to require millions of dollars in environmental remediation before it can be safely developed.

I hope that is true! That they actually got ousted because of this illegal move and not because they simply wanted to move on to a new job.

Pretty sure UT bought the land. There was a debate on this board as to whether the price was inflated or not.

2 Likes

Amen to that. I recall posts on this site where people would claim that UT not only kicked UH to the curb in the mid 90’s (which is true) but also prevented UH from joining any power conference thereafter; PAC 12, ACC, Big 10 etc.

IF they were that omnipotent, you’d think they could have stopped Nebraska from going to the Big 10 or A&M from going to the SEC. But they couldn’t stop it.

Yes, you are correct. UT did buy the land from the local architect. It was a sweetheart deal

Looks like TMC is going to develop the land. UH is safe.

https://twitter.com/TXMedCenter/status/1572308764505636865?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1572308764505636865|twgr^d9c8c480b3b7bbbac7c5d82a40abdd01c8d6a039|twcon^s1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.houstonarchitecture.com%2Fhaif%2Findex.php%3Fapp%3Dcoremodule%3Dsystemcontroller%3Dembedurl%3Dhttps%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2FTXMedCenter%2Fstatus%2F1572308764505636865

1 Like

Good.

Now people here can stop complaining about it.

1 Like

There it is, thank you

Complaining about it?
What do you mean by this?
Everyone had every right to complain about this.

They do, but they sound stupid when they keep complaining about an issue that no longer exists.

You claimed it was illegal but you didn’t figure it was really illegal since you never filed a lawsuit over it.

Most posters weren’t in the know but simply looked for a reason to be butthurt.

UT bought land as an investment but many here claimed it was done illegally. Yet never backed up their claims by filing a lawsuit to prove themselves. Despite the fact that UH paid more per acre for a parcel of land than UT paid for the land in question.

Anything ut does is bad in some peoples eyes which results in those people with that view looking ignorant.

Plus the rumor that UT was going to use it for a 4 year UT-Houston type campus. People really got butthurt on that one.

What is it with you and madcowsu Moncoog? Do tell us. I think I know but it will be more honest coming from you. Don’t you think?

1 Like

I wouldn’t answer one question from you. Like some " Authoritative " . #DoBetter

Edit: not everyone has to think the same on here.
Would you agree.

Save it!! :smiley::rofl::laughing:

Did I ask you and why would YOU care? Why do you keep jumping into something that is not tied to you? Are you Moncoog chaperon?