Cedric Alley transferring?

It’s public accounting, but I was able to land a gig with Deloitte after I finished my bachelor’s and master’s in Accounting at UH. I think your undergrad argument has merit, though. There were definitely more UT and A&M hires than UH. I was like one or two or three taken that year from UH.

The Rice MBA got me a job with one of the supers. The only competition in the state was from UT MBAs. I never saw a single UH MBA interviewee during my time going through the interview process. I think where you go to graduate school makes the biggest difference in your future job prospects. If you choose to go the graduate school route.

Goldman, Credit Suisse, Bain, McKinsey, etc we’re regulars on Rice’s campus. The thing that holds Rice back from being a top 10-15 MBA program is their inability, for whatever reason, to attract the tech companies to campus. I never really saw Google, Amazon, or Apple on campus a lot. Until that happens, they’ll remain in the 20-25 range.

Right. There are some entry level gigs that 100% won’t be available to UH grads no matter what. And there are some very competitive ones available (like the one you got out of UH) but you may have to have a better GPA, etc. than a bachelor’s grad from Harvard or Rice or UT/A&M (the million dollar question is whether the same student would have made or not made the cutoff at all of the places).

However, a UH grad with a finance/accounting dual major and 3.9 GPA is going to have drastically “better” employment opportunities than a Rice grad with a 3.0 in economics.

I think high school students and their parents focus way too much on undergrad prestige rather than value in/value out and make some poor decisions on where to attend because of that. However, yes, it’s an extreme overstatement to say that undergrad prestige doesn’t really matter at all.

1 Like

I agree with all of those points.

Just for my case, though. I put way more into the ranking when I went to grad school than when I chose my undergrad school.

1 Like

Did you guys hear Cedric Alley is transferring?

15 Likes

Where do you think he is going? From what I have been reading it appears that he is going to intern at Goldman Sachs this summer and then enroll at rice so he can get his MBA from Harvard.

11 Likes

It’s the pandemic- things happen Lol

Rice needs to figure what they want to do as they’re struggling trying to be something they are not in the major sports. CUSA is on life support and in some sports your the third or fourth-best best team in the city and that’s including FCS teams.

Makes you wonder why they ran Willis off when he had them competitive even though he had to recruit everywhere from A to Z to get a quality player.

Interesting, My grandad was a professor emeritus at Rice, as well as a Dean at A&M. However, my mother graduated from UH and I actually taught at the UH. So, my brother and I always root for Rice unless they play UH. I root for UH, my brother for Rice. I also in a awkward way root for A&M but UH and RICE are my favorites.

I think you’ve managed to make sure no one in Arkansas likes you! :rofl:

2 Likes

Is there any other way to root for a&m? I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone pull it off

1 Like

I use to pull for a$m ONCE a year, but now, it is NEVER because they do not play ut anymore :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Strangely enough, there’s a defense attorney here in Washington County that went to UVa undergrad, and Baylor Law School…and he roots for and is a MAJOR BOOSTER of…can you guess…ATM!!!

Go figure!!!

It’s political. Here in Williamson County, the idiot County Judge is a Mary Hardin Baylor grad but goes around claiming to be a huge Longhorn fan.

I bet They had their Baylor gear on this year though…

I got my undergrad from UH, law degree from Baylor and married an Aggie. While I don’t hate Baylor or ATM, I don’t actively support them either. My degree from Baylor was merely a business trip.

Same way I feel about Rice. All of my allegiance is to UH.

1 Like

Thought I read something about that. It’s been a while…

1 Like

Probably just a rumor! :grin:

It is not unusual for people who went to small schools to root for a large school in their state, especially the flagship.

2 Likes

+1.

Maybe the judge is kissing up to get its alma mater in the B12. :smile:

1 Like