Cedric Alley transferring?

That is a good idea. How much does he weigh?

Rice has had two sophs transfer out and go to Virginia and Minnesota.
Yet they finished 15-17 and ended up 11’th in CUSA.

Always liked and pulled for Cedric, and will miss his Grandma. Good luck where ever you land.

5 Likes

He’s listed 6-6 225 on the 2019-20 roster. He looks to have a good foundation and a largish frame so maybe 250-ish he could carry without loosing quickness and speed. Strength coaches will know more about that than me, just my opinion.

Rice has to lead the nation in transfers over thenpast decade. Some teams looked really solid onnoaper but no one wants to stay.
That team that played us didn’t show up the rest of the season. They underachieved and now are losing their top players again. I will have fun watching us destroy them in their first trip to the Fertitta Center.

1 Like

Trying to stay an academic school in a major sport is tough - especially men’s sports. The pool for what they want is razor thin and they won’t bend the admission rules like a Duke, Baylor or TCU. They want to be Stanford so bad but they will never get first pick of the academic/athletic high level player.

They’re forced to recruit all over and that doesn’t help in terms of homesickness.

Plus let’s be honest, it’s boring over there.

They also played in a glorified high school arena with less than 1,000 people at their games.

Let’s not ever throw Baylor and TCU in a conversation with Duke, Stanford, and Rice. Admission to those two is not hard.

3 Likes

In terms of admission standards and academic prestige, Baylor and TCU are NOWHERE CLOSE to Duke, Rice, and Stanford.

Shouldn’t even be in the same academic conversation.

8 Likes

Duke and Stanford yes. Rice in terms of academic prestige–not so much.

Rice is a top 20 school in the country. Lol

Ranked in between Cornell and Washington University in St. Louis.

Baylor checks in at 79. In between BYU and Binghamton - SUNY.

TCU checks in at 97. In between Saint Louis University and University of Denver.

Rice has way more prestige, academically, than Baylor or TCU. It is something that really should not even be up for debate.

8 Likes

3 Likes

Once you get to a certain position, it gets more difficult to move up. I think that the last time I saw any ranking of UH, we were in the 169 range. Not bad as we moved up a lot, and there are thousands of schools in the US. Moving up further become difficult…

I couldn’t have asked for a better university to get my bachelor’s and master’s from. UH is a fantastic school. So is Baylor and TCU. We’re not peers with Rice, though. It is what it is.

UH opened a ton of doors for me out of undergrad.

The Rice MBA opened up a lot more. That came at a cost, though.

1 Like

I meant they are private schools and they bend to allow athletes in with just ncaa standards. Rice won’t do it and look at the results in their major sports. Zero connectivity with the locals, in and transfers and sporadic winning.

Again, a rice degree in certain areas is worth it. I’ve known folks who have one but it didn’t open any more doors than the next man in certain professions

That makes sense. Yeah, TCU/SMU/Baylor don’t care about academics when it comes to athletes. Rice does lower the standard some, but they aren’t letting guys in who are barely academically eligible for college like those other three private schools.

1 Like

Yes, you are correct. There are different admission standards for athletes at Rice. At least there were a few years ago when a teammate of my son got a scholly there.

Rice football and men’s basketball players definitely DO NOT have to meet the same academic admission requirements as Rice’s regularly admitted students.

Nor, according to many sources I’ve talked do, do their scholarship baseball players.

Their standards for those athletes are obviously higher than those of most other Division I programs, but they are NOT as high as the typical Rice student, generally speaking.

Please DO NOT assume that a Rice football or men’s basketball player, in general, is a student of the same academic caliber as the more typical Rice student.

That said…I’ll say it once…and I’ll say it again. Undergraduate degrees don’t mean as much as graduate and professional degrees.

I think that all Bachelor’s degrees are about the same, really. Some undergraduate schools are obviously harder to get into than others, but I’m not convinced that where you get your undergrad degree makes that much of a difference.

Where you get your graduate or professional degree, by contrast, can make A LOT of difference in your options afterwards, ESPECIALLY when it comes to your first job out of grad/professional school and your starting salary in it.

3 Likes

Yup. This is exactly right.

That’s kind of true kind of not.

The “best” places to work (Goldman Sachs, Google, Amazon, etc.) tend more to hire from the “best” schools than schools that aren’t the “best.” Like there are tons of Harvard grads at Goldman and there might not be a single one from SFA.

And then things like getting into a top 10 MBA program (Harvard, Wharton, Booth, Kellogg, etc.) are much easier if you worked at a top company beforehand.

However, doing something like choosing to go to Michigan State or something over UH for undergrad because it has a better US News ranking would be insane. But saying undergrad doesn’t make much of a difference is definitely not accurate either, at least in some contexts. Or it’s a bit of an oversimplification.