CFP folks now considering a 16 team playoff!

Arceno needs to push for an auto bid for the AAC then the other spot goes to the next g5. So of 12 teams, you’d have 10 p5s and 2 G5’s which would be fair and interesting. Our conference is stronger than other G5’s so we need an auto bid just like the p5s say their conferences are stronger and need the auto bid. Otherwise we’re disadvantaged in a tougher g5 league with no auto bid unless they go by strength of conf like now. In that case a 9 and 2 aac should get a bid over an undefeated Mac team.

Arceno needs to work and get this right or at least rules favoring tougher conferences like the aac.

1 Like

Your analogy does not make sense. DIV 1 FBS has a clear definition. You think that we are DIV 1-B FBS. That does not exist but the ncaa is letting the cartel/P5’s make you think so.
That is what I expressed in my post. The ncaa is the culprit in this. They can’t have it both ways. They created this mess.

1 Like

Chris, the culprit is the baked-in money advantage, plus the histories of the upper-half P5 programs that condemn the G5 to junior partner status. If the NCAA took all the money and split it evenly among the 120+ FBS schools, after 10 years kids would still be choosing aTm over SMU or UH. There are more reasons than money and access that keep programs like Vandy and Wake Forest at the bottom of their respective conferences.

Long term, powerhouse programs emerge (Clemson). Short-to-medium term, not much will change.

The day when conference realignment happened signified the end of “true” college football. We got screwed by uta and atm during our days in the SWC. But the SWC has always made the most sense for us and our neighbors. Regional conference is what creates true rivalry. It is like two local high schools playing against each other. This is why the SEC is do dominant. They have “cultivated” the regional rivalry angle to the max. It would make perfect sense for the small12 to include UH into their conference with SMU. Some will say it will “dilute” the recruiting for atm and others. So what? Who in the small12 cares about WVirginia? None do. Why? Because they are not their neighbors. That “grabbing right” is what make fans passionate. Am I for to be included the small12? In a “perfect” world I will respond yes.

1 Like

The other idea I had was a requirement of playing at least one P5 but I hate something that keeps driving the distinction. Would require 12 FBS wins as well. Most of the programs can’t just schedule easy OOC because they need the money from the buy games and couldn’t afford to pay bad teams to come play a one off. Plus its hard as hell to go undefeated in conference then trying to schedule weak teams wont always work.

I had to go back to 2017 (not counting 2020) to find a CUSA/Sun Belt/MAC team who was undefeated in conference but lost OOC games and it was FAU who lost to Navy, Buffalo, and Wisconsin. I don’t see them being able to schedule easier to go undefeated overall. In 2015 Arkansas St and WKU did it but both lost multiple games OOC, Arkansas St to Toledo by 30 and two other losses. Maybe WKU is a team who could have dropped those P5 games, but I doubt they risk financial issues for the tiny chance of going undefeated.

It’s quite interesting to know the SEC is pushing for a 12 team playoff but it’s all about money so the SEC think they can stack the playoffs and reel in the $$$.

https://247sports.com/Article/College-Football-Playoff-12-team-potential-expansion-Paul-Finebaum-shares-reaction-166327327/

“Well, I’m still shocked Greeny when I heard this story the other day,” Finebaum said. “You have to remember the people who run college football are still using flip phones. They haven’t heard about the iPhone 1, or 12 or 15. The idea that these people who have been steadfastly defending the four (teams) as if there’s no other possibilities – suddenly to go to 12 is one of the biggest shocks in the history of college sports. I think they’re going to do it. I think they’re tired of fighting the status quo. They know what everyone is saying. They can’t really give you a justification why they would go from four to 12, but they’re going to do it because there’s a lot of money at stake and it’s time to change the narrative of college football.”

According to CBS Sports’ Dennis Dodd, expansion could be approved as early as this summer. Dodd says it’s the SEC that is the driving factor for a bigger expansion from four to 12 teams.

I’d imagine you’d expect 3-4 SEC teams typically in a 12 team playoff. I’d be shocked if there weren’t at least 2 every year. So yeah the SEC would benefit big from a 12 team playoff.

1 Like

Makes sense to me. If they see expansion as a guarantee to happen, 8 doesn’t help them much if there are only 2 at large spots. Could be some years only 1 SEC team makes the playoff thanks to Notre Dame and a 2nd Big 10 team. As WasSoonerNowCoog said, 12 teams probably means 3-4 SEC teams every year.

1 Like

The answer to this is simple. Win your conference and your in, just like in college basketball.

The 12 team playoffs would then the 10 conference champs plus the two best teams from the SEC who didn’t win the conference. Problem solved.

As for competitiveness, you can’t tell me after a couple playoff appearances a couple G5 schools won’t be able to pull a Gonzaga, especially with the new transfer portal.

1 Like

That isn’t the case with football divisions that do have championships and those champions don’t have the money that Ohio state or Alabama has.

3 Likes

This is exciting!

A Cougar player will actually have a higher chance of being in The Playoffs than any school in The Big 12 not named OU or UT.

The more games the harder it would be. With 12 teams a G5 champ would have to beat 3 top 10 teams in a row to win the title. Due to injuries, depth, etc. that is almost impossible.

Its one thing to win a one off game, but go and win 3 games in a row against say Georgia, Ohio State, Alabama over 3 consecutive weekends is a different story.

1 Like

Agree, ultimately that is why the blue bloods are probably mostly fine with it. They will make the playoffs most years, get a bye often as well, and still win the lions share of championships but the collective pie will grow and the pesky G5 will simmer down as we have been thrown a bone of allowing a G5 team “a chance”. Honestly, it is a pretty good compromise for all parties.

1 Like

For the most part, you just described a three week schedule of the SEC or BIG TEN. Why would we or any other G-5 program dare to aspire to become a member of one of those conferences, if we were afraid of injuries or depth? If that were the case, then why play the sport?

1 Like

Chicken vs egg. UH or any of the AAC schools having an actual, legitimate, shot at getting in the playoff and winning the National Championship (not a pie in the sky outside looking in argument) COULD lead to better recruiting and depth for the strongest AAC members already in the best G5 conference.

Case in point…UH, once they invested in their basketball program, proved you CAN win a National Championship from the AAC…and look what has happened to our recruiting and results. We’ve consistently been a top 20 program for almost 5 years now.

Our players 100% believe that the only thing preventing them from being a national champion is THEIR play on the court.

It hasn’t been that way in football for…well…ever

Why couldn’t that happen for football IF we make intelligent strategic big picture decisions like we did for basketball.

We just need depth and consistency…

1 Like

Im not arguing we shouldn’t, just that the odds of winning a NC for G5 team are even harder than if one were to get into the current setup.

Each change they have made since the poll era has made parity worse not better.

1 Like

Well if we were in a p5 , we’d recruit the same as them negating the issue for a g5 playing ohio st , Ga and OU now in the payoffs back to back. It’s going to even be tough for them to run that table late in the yr with high intensity games. As far as winning a NC , that is tough to do in college football even way back but the main issue is that since the bcs era, we haven’t had a seat at the table. If we get a seat then it’s at least possible and or we’re a legit part of the system vs now with zero shot bc only 4 teams. The reason for exp is even to give the pac12 hope. If they left it at 4 , the pac has no hope which is hurting their recruiting and perception along with the big 12 minus OU now and then.

If the playoffs expand to 12 teams, I don’t think any P5 will add teams because they will have a new source of income getting as many teams in the playoffs as possible.

I don’t think the AAC wants to expand unless they can get Boise State to solidify being the best G5. That means the AAC would get that autobid spot every year and be the de facto P6 in the playoffs.

1 Like

Odds aren’t worse under a 12 team playoff because the are exactly 0% under the current system. I’ll take a 2% chance of a Cincy, UH, UCF, etc… getting through a multi-team gauntlet any day over a 0% chance of getting through less teams under the current system.

1 Like

I would say it isn’t 0% but close.

My point is that the amount of teams winning MNCs has decreased from the poll era to the BCS era to the CFP era.