CFP folks now considering a 16 team playoff!

If there is 8 it is critical that it have defined bids (Five P5 bids, one G5 bid… something like that) or else we (AAC) will be left out.

If it’s 12 then we will get in sometimes. I’ve been really skeptical of a lot of things, but I believe that.

If it’s 16 I think we will get in most years.

1 Like

It’s got to be 16 teams with all the FBS conference winners represented; otherwise it’s just another attempt to expand the playoffs to include only major conference also rans. We all know the ranking system is prejudiced towards the P-5 and if the playoffs do not include all FBS conference champions, then it becomes another less democratic, less representative, less fair system.

It doesn’t matter if Alabama is matched with UL Monroe in the first round, so long as programs like ULM have their fair shot, not to mention the $$$ they’ll make. This system works in March Madness and it should work in FBS football.

On another note, does anyone else find it ironic how P-5 universities are the first to teach students the virtues of equality, equity, inclusion and fairness to the underclass until it involves sports, then they are hyper capitalist in the worst way?

I hope they do the right thing and open the playoffs to include all FBS conference champions.

1 Like

Their version would be the P5 champs and one G5 and the rest at large so they could manipulate the rankings to get all the bids.

1 Like

I opened the article and cut and pasted this line, which differs from your quote, "But as I sit here today, I would tell you I would be in favor of having access for the ACC if the CFP expanded.” I put the ACC in bold because that is the difference. Did you copy and type?

I copied and pasted the article quote, with no changes on my part.

Looking at the link today, it appears they have since edited “AAC” to “ACC” from when I cut, pasted, and posted it here.

It looks like he got some push back on the quote, likely for inaccuracy, and made a change.

1 Like

Rats. That had kind of made my day.

1 Like

What’s weird is that, in the context of the article, AAC makes more sense than ACC there.

2 Likes

That’s probably why the writer misunderstood/mistranscribed the original comment.

1 Like

College Football 12-Team Playoff Format Is Gaining A Lot of Momentum – OutKick

Per outkick’s website, a 12 team playoff with 5 P5 champs, 1 G5, and 6 at larges is the front runner. Top 4 teams would get a bye and 95% of the time one of them would be crowned the champion, but this opens the door for a G5 cinderella yet minimzes chances of getting complete trounces (G5 wouldn’t play top 4 in opening round, nor would a 9-3 WAC team play an Alabama in a 16 team scenario) - not that we wouldn’t see blowouts. I’d prefer 8 teams, with 5 P5, 1G5 and 2 at large, but I’m fine with this as well.

4 Likes

What is the timeline for a decision?

When does the current agreement expire?

G5 should get a spot or lawsuits so we’re good

3 Likes

All that makes a lot of sense. I think I would prefer 8 as well, but 12 it does reward the top 4 even more which I think is good. With 12 I would like to see a rule any undefeated champ gets a spot for those rare occasions of two undefeated G5s. Then no body can say that every team doesn’t have a path to the championship. I have no interest in ever seeing it above 12 teams though. The people who think they want that would quickly see they don’t when they watch it.

1 Like

If you are going to expand the playoffs, go big. 16 teams. It’s a balanced format. All FBS conference winners are represented. It might be ugly TV to see Alabama vs Sunbelt champion, but at least it’s fair and equitable. No one can complain they didn’t get their shot and the smaller conferences get a payday.

1 Like

It needs to be all of the D1 college conference champs plus a few at large. People would dig it.

1 Like

In reality, the G5 in any given year couldn’t field more than one or two teams which would be competitive with an at-large selection from a P5. I’m sure that the G5 slot would require a team to be ranked at some number probably around 12. Football is way different than basketball where a talented but undersized team can make a run in the tournament. My feelings won’t be hurt.

2 Likes

12 is the right number. Top four get a bye and the first round is played at the higher seated teams home field.

It will make college football the most popular sport in America.

They need to do something to fix the transfer rule chaos.

2 Likes

Not sure how I feel about that. That really disincentives G5 from scheduling a strong OOO if they are guaranteed in with an undefeated record. Obviously the best G5 champ should get in, but why should say Florida International get in just because they ran through CUSA and beat 3 OOC chumps and upset Texas Tech this year (hypothetically)?

By having the G5 champs compared to each other, it makes scheduling tough OOC games important (especially for a lesser respected G5 conference champ). Obviously plenty of G5’s already do schedule strong OOC due to the money the P5 teams will give them.

That is the core of the problem.

Who is responsible for this?

The ncaa and here is why.

FIU, UH play in the highest ncaa football sanctioned level. We and other 129 schools play at the Div 1 FBS.
The day the ncaa allowed or turned a complicit blind eye to the P5’s it created this mess and an invalid National champion. Bear in mind that the ncaa does not recognize a National Div 1 FBS football champion. What does this tell you?

We are always hearing that the P5’s will break up from the rest of college football if they are “pushed” to accept a G5 into the cfp. It speaks volume on how the masses/us have been “brainwashed” to accept this cfp.

One more time we either play Div 1 FBS or we do not. The ncaa wants you to believe you can have it both ways. The cfp proves that it is not true and that the cfp is a scam. We all know that on any given Saturday or Sunday a FIU or UH has a chance to beat its opponent. It is valid for all sports.
The P5’s members complain? Why don’t you join a G5? They won’t because it is and has always been on how the cartel distributes the money. Enterprise crime is what the cfp is and the ncaa is allowing it.

Let’s say UH was in the PAC 16 and won the conference going 12-1 with wins over ranked teams like USC and Oregon and numerous other quality wins.

Is a 13-0 Ball State in the MAC or UTEP in CUSA more worthy since they went undefeated?

I don’t know if that is the case.

1 Like

The upper half of the P5 conferences play an entirely different game of football week in and week out than the G5. Any P5 team in a playoff won’t be as unmotivated or missing players who opted out as some recent P5 bowl teams have been.

Likely any G5 bid will be predicated on being ranked highly. The P5 will not give up a potential spot for their conferences just to make the Group of 5 happy. A G5 team will need to be a top 12 team.

Yeah, we are in the FBS subdivision. I live in Houston, but that doesn’t mean I live in River Oaks. Same difference. Schools like Liberty moving up to FBS shows that plenty of fools are willing to throw themselves into the sea to be crushed upon the rocks.