CFP Holding at 4 through 2026

And as long as the playoff stays at four, we need to stay away from the PAC-12, because since 2015, they have been the P5 conference LEAST likely to qualify a team for it.

I’ve been saying this for awhile now.

I now feel COMPLETELY vindicated.

“ACC commish Jim Phillips asked about difference on ACC revenue w/other Power 5 leagues: “Just because you have the most money doesn’t mean you win all the time”

This is true. All a program needs is enough money. I can’t tell you what that amount might be, but after you build facilities and can pay the top coaches, more money doesn’t buy you any advantage.

Remind me how many other Big12 schools, not named Oklahoma, that have made the playoffs?

If I remember correctly they have the same # of playoff participants as the American: One.

The PAC has had TWO schools make it in Washington and Oregon.

You keep superimposing the past to the future.

The ONLY Big 12 participant is leaving.

If you think the playoffs aren’t geared toward the brands THEY want to see in it then you aren’t paying attention.

TCU and Baylor were playoff worthy one year…they found a way to leave them out.

Judging by how few teams the PAC-12 has gotten in since 2015, their brands are obviously NOT what the media wants.

They are BAD brands, following your logic. We should therefore avoid associating our brand with theirs. It will weaken our brand.

In fact, following your logic, the AAC has better brands than the PAC-12 given that the media is letting its brands in over the PAC-12’s.

So you see, the FUTURE Bug-12 will still be better following your logic, because the media has picked more of its brands (Cincy) in recent years than the PAC-12.

The PAC-12 simply SUX.

There’s no sugar coating it.

And that’s why we should avoid it.

And since you want me to remind you of something, I’ll REMIND you that the FUTURE Big 12 has produced more football playoff teams and men’s basketball finalists in recent years than the PAC-12.

Case closed.

1 Like

What is with you?
case closed? Are you five or something?
Your premise, your anger toward anyone considering the PAC12 as “only” an option has got to stop.
All posters are entitled to their opinion including yours but you do not have to use “case closed” ad nauseum. You have no clues. We have no clues what the future holds. The one thing we know for sure is that the CFP media contract is up in 2026. Another thing that we know is sure (history proven) is that these same media contracts are in negotiations way before their “expired date” After 2026 noody knows what will happen. We have no clues if the BIG12 will indeed remain a Power Conference. You can write about by laws but what if okise state, teetech and others get invited to other P5’s? At this point the BIG12 is no longer a conference. Again we have no clues we have to be prepared for ALL SCENARIOS and yes that includes getting an invite from the PAC12.

Not quite.

We don’t KNOW what the future holds.

But we can make some pretty good guesses based on recent performance.

And those guesses favor the Big 12 over the PAC-12.

It’s a safer bet me a better fit, for a variety of reasons that have been discussed AD NAUSEUM.

Sorry if there are two or three people here that don’t get that.

This thread is going in circles and circles.
This sums it up.

The BIG12 is instable and ready to implode. I am not writing it. teetech, okiestate officials even baylor have said so. That is why we have to be prepared for the unexpected and yes an invitation from the PAC12 if something happens or not has to be considered. This is not about sports but business.

1 Like

Given that all the talk has been about the PAC-12 being “raided,” by the B1G, and NOT the Big 12, the PAC-12 is NOT a place that we would want to be, or accept an invite from, because if we aren’t AAU, which we are not, then we won’t be one of the schools that the B1G takes in such a raid. We’d be left behind in an even crappier far-flung conference that probably won’t survive as a P5.

Hey listen, I don’t see that happening. NO WAY the B1G expands so that the East Coast non-revenue sports have to fly to the
West Coast at great expense. But if the talking heads are to be believed, (and some people here sure seems to think they should be) that should be a deterrent. The PAC-12 would NOT necessarily be more “stable” than the Big 12 in that regard. It may be just as ready to implode as any other conference, if not more so, given that.

Leaving that aside, the Big 12 has better competition, a better fit in terms of rivalries and fan interest, lower travel costs, drivable road games, and, according to most projections, comparable revenues. Comparable revenues, plus lower expenses, means more profits.

THAT’S BUSINESS!!!

DIG???

Moreover people that are good at guessing, as I said, would NOT be guessing that any PAC-12 invite will come our way, if it even wanted to expand (a baseless assumption). If the PAC-12 really wanted to expand, it could simply invite Nevada, UNLV, Colorado State, etc, and call it a day. Doing that would get them new markets as well, and add new R1 schools, with FAR LESS travel expenses, and more local rivalries and local fan interest.

The fact that the PAC-12 doesn’t do that, which would be much easier, should tell you that a PAC-12 expansion is probably NOT in the cards.
And the fact that they aren’t even offering expansion to people in their own backyard makes it HIGHLY IMPROBABLE that such an invite would be coming to a far flung school in TX. Would be much more expensive, and wouldn’t make sense.

Now then, if such an invite did come our way, we most likely wouldn’t take it given that we’d be taking a step down in competition for no better revenues, much higher travel costs and a loss of local rivalries, road trips, and fan/recruit interest. Again…THAT’S BUSINESS!!!

Unless the Big 12 starts to implode…we will NOT look that way. Won’t even consider it. And said implosion is not likely to happen given that no one in the Big 12 really has any place to go, as I’ve explained AD NAUSEUM. Where would any of the Future Big 12 schools go? Who else wants them? Hint: NOBODY!!! Given that they have no place to go, the Big 12 will remain in place. And given the quality of its sports competition, again, as had been explained AD NASEUM, together with its statutory autonomy status, it will NOT fall out of the P5.

Whether we should be prepared to accept an invite to a far flung conference that may be unstable/raided, incur outrageous travel costs, and give up local rivalries, and local fan/recruit interest it came is one conversation.

Another, completely separate conversation is…why are some people apparently hoping and wishing that we join the PAC-12? You should be hoping that we stay in a conference that AVOIDS all the complications I mentioned, if possible.

Strangely, some people are just OBSESSED with joining a conference with that much obvious downside…go figure.

It’s not more stable, wouldn’t bring in significantly higher revenues, if at all, would have way higher travel expenses, lower caliber competition, and, based on some speculation from talking heads, less stability.

Having been on the campuses of FIVE different PAC-12 schools, I see no commonality between those schools and our own. At least we have historical rivalries with some of the Big 12 schools, and local fan interest.

Not sure what the appeal is.

In 2025 the new cfp will be decided by majority vote. SEC and ACC have 29 votes and BIG and PAC have 26 votes. The deciding votes will be cast by the B12. Let the bidding begin .

You have posted for months on this since…February. We are in May.

How can you even begin to judge the New Big 12?

We need at least a 5 year sample size AFTER UT and OU leave the conference to judge.

Once all of the dust settles …which is fair. (Re: Big East)

You also seriously believe USC wont be in the College Football Playoff before the Playoff renewal?

I don’t get the love for the PAC12…besides the possibility of more $$$…they’re a weak conference in the 2 revenue producing sports. You really think Coog Nation is going to travel anywhere out there besides possibly LA ? West Coast start times not a good match. Only way Big 12 implodes is if B10 or SEC raid it. If PAC12 wanted any of the Big12 teams they would have snatched them earlier. I do think Riley will have USC in the hunt very soon.

Last National Championship
Football - 2004 USC *Title vacated https://www.ncaa.com/history/football/fbs
Basketball - 1997 Arizona https://www.ncaa.com/history/basketball-men/d1

Who is in love with the PAC 12?

Most here are just challenging the claim that

1. the New Big 12 is more stable than the current PAC
  2. The New Big 12 (which has yet to play a single game with the additions OR the departed UT & OU) is better from a competitive/media revenue/ recruiting/ cultural standpoint.

I think everyone here views the PAC + ACC + Big12 as a tier below the SEC & B1G 10

And according to projections, the PAC-12 revenues won’t be significantly better than the Big 12’s, and the expenses will be WAY higher, which means LESS profit.

We’d also likely lose attendance due to lack of local rivalries and fan interest. It also won’t appeal as much to local recruits.

There’s simply NOTHING about the PAC-12 that is appealing from a competition or business standpoint.

2 Likes

Why do you assume that the PAC-12 is more stable?

Isn’t all the talk about the PAC-12 being raided, as opposed to the new Big 12?

Where do you imagine the teams in the new Big 12 are going to go? Who wants them? No other conference has shown interest, the SEC already took the teams that they wanted, and the B1G already said no to the only Big 12 school that would qualify…football brand too crappy. The ACC could have invited the few teams in their region a long time ago. They haven’t.

That lack of a place to go/lack of a interest from other conferences makes the future Big 12 VERY stable.

But if all the talking heads are saying the B1G will raid the PAC-12, then it’s silly to say that the PAC-12 is more stable.

As for competition, come on.

The PAC-12 hasn’t produced a non-stripped national football champion in 30 years, and hasn’t produced a NCAA basketball champion in almost 25 years. The PAC-12 hasn’t even qualified a football playoff team since 2015, which the FUTURE Big 12 (OU excluded)…HAS!!!

In power rankings, the Big 12 is #1 in basketball (even without UT and OU), and has produced multiple national champions (FUTURE Big 12 members), as well as multiple finalists and semi-finalists in recent years (other than OU and UT), and the future Big 12 would be no worse than 3rd in football, based on recent results.

The PAC-12 is five out of five in both.

It’s NOT close.

Given that, any “challenge” related to quality of competition AUTOMATICALLY fails.

Challenge DISMISSED!!!

But then there’s the “left wing politics” card. That’s NOT business.

1 Like

Because EVERY SINGLE AD immediately after the UT/OU departure news stated they were looking at their options at joining other conferences.

What rock were you living under?

Also, Kansas would join the B1G in a heartbeat.

With the exceotion of Maryland (ACC- B1G), the Old Big 12 was the conference everyone went for additional candidates.

Maryland and Rutgers, to be sure.

The truth is, looking at options and HAVING options are two different things.

NO current Big 12 team is desirable to any other conference. Would Kansas jump to the B1G? Sure. Just as we would jump to the SEC if offered.

But in BOTH cases…there is ZERO interest, so the point is moot. I would rate Kansas’ chances of actually getting a B1G invite, given how valueless their football brand is, as being only slightly above our odds of getting a SEC invite.

Unless and until some other conference shows an interest in Big 12 teams, don’t assume that any of them have the option to jump.

Were Big 12 teams attractive to other conferences for various reasons in the past? Sure.

Are the teams in the FUTURE Big 12 attractive to other conferences?

It appears that the answer is … NO!!!

Prove me wrong.

Would certain ACC teams be attractive to the B1G or SEC?

That’s a different story. Not sure why you don’t understand that. THAT is where the B1G and SEC are going to be looking for a “raid.” NOT the Big 12, nor the PAC-12.

So please don’t give me any of this instability nonsense. The Big 12 can rest easy…but if I were the ACC…I’d be shaking in my boots!

1 Like

Rutgers and Louisville came from the AAC.

Again though.

Not sure who in the future Big 12 is possibly on the way out, based on another conference wanting them.

Identify that team (the B1G already said no to their only Big 12 possibility), and if you can’t then there aren’t any.

ACC…STAY TUNED!!!