CFP is not expanding

I don’t wish the CFP to expand unless there’s a guaranteed spot for G5, undefeated or not!!!

1 Like

The worst-case scenario is one in which they expand to eight and we are still excluded.

People shouldn’t let UCF’s ranking fool anyone. If ranking them in the top eight keeps Florida or Washington out of the playoffs, they’ll rank them #9.

7 Likes

I agree.

Nonsense…that would have been epic. And forget about the bowl results when you think of it…as those games would never have been played so they wouldn’t be in your mind as you evaluated it post final…and determined it was better than anything that ever happened in CFB post season before.

1st Rnd
1 Bama vs 8 Wash
2 Clemson vs 7 UCF
3 ND vs 6 OSU
4 OU vs 5 Georgia

Maybe we get the same final 4…maybe we don’t. Anything can happen in a game. Hell, Bama was the favorite in the final but they got shellacked…nobody saw that coming. Maybe they slip up against Wash or OU. Then maybe OU beats Clemson. Getting there is half the fun.

1 Like

Guaranteed what the G5 commissioners are voting for, is to remain part of the CFP revenue. Sadly the G5 presidents will not hold the G5 commissioners responsible and Aresco will continue his P6 campaign that has less of a chance of become reality than Tulane being ranked in the top 4 next year.

2 Likes

Don’t see how that’s fair or even right. I think it should limited should be ranked 12 or higher. Heck I’d say even ranked 10th or higher would be reasonable. It would basically leave others 2-4 higher ranked P5, but that’s that. Assuming playoffs grow to 8.

Now saying that an NY6 bowl berth should be reserved for the highest ranked G5 (provided its 25 or higher), is a good idea. Or you can extend it to say up to 2 G5 ranked in the top 15 that don’t make it into the playoffs, get a guaranteed NY6 berth. Lot of money in NY6 bowls.

Lots of reasonable fair ways to make things better for G5, and improve access to playoffs and big money bowls.

It’s not gonna happen for us fellas.

CFP expansion to all conferences will kill the bottom half of the so called P5.

Which team will have easier path to CFP - Kansas or App State - if CFP expands to all conferences?

Blue Bloods will continue to have 5* players, but more 4* and 3* players will join the G5 conferences. It means that the “experts” can’t inflate the bottom half of the P5 ranking. They can’t justify the top half SOS claims.

CFP expansion won’t kill the bowls system because they can work together. I personally think it will be better. CFP can have the bowls bidding to host quarterfinals games and they can make it more regional than now. This will draw more fans and interests.

Look at FIFA World Cup. It will expand to 48 from 32. With 32 teams, it is 8 4-team group and top 2 advanced. So, each team plays 3 games minimum. However, sometimes, the 3 group stage games are meaningless. So, 48 teams divide into 16 groups of 3 teams. Top 2 advanced. So, 48 teams plays 2 group stage game, but the 3rd game will be do-or-die already. 3nd game now is meaningful. So, 32 teams guaranteed 3 games, but 16 more get 2 games. More games, more money.

I agree with your statement but I think UH should be temporarily selfish and not want the playoffs to expand for another 4 years.

Our program needs a year or 2 to build back up to its dominance of the G5s. That means we need to get those 4 and 3 star top athletes not the other G5s.

We are already known as being one of the top G5 programs but when we reestablish ourselves like UCF’s dominance, they can then expand the playoffs.

1 Like

Are you, us?

My argument for keeping a 4 team playoff is to get better recruits.

If Oklahoma State is recruiting the same Houston player we are, you ask the recruit, has OSU made the playoffs? No. More than likely with UT and OU in the conference OSU may not ever make the 4 team playoffs although they do have a pathway.

Oklahoma State has about the same chances of making the playoffs as UH does but we have a great chance to make the a NY6 bowl every year the the coaching staff we have now and with the better recruits they can bring in.

Why would a recruit want to go to a school 500 miles away and their family and friends will not get to come to their games often? To me it doesn’t make sense to go to a cow town to play football unless you don’t like your hometown big city anymore.

If it expands to 8 teams, now OSU can say, we have a real shot at the playoffs now.

It is not about sport, recruits of making the cfp. It has always been about
$$$
Money

The cfp has one message to the G5’s & one message only.

Yes, as in us Coogs.
Are you?

I know this is anecdotal, but I was discussing the absurdity of the CFB Playoff system with an Aggie friend of mine and he was making all of the usual arguments for the division between G5 and P5. There was lots of back and forth. I explained that it is nothing more than a legislative designation to keep one group of schools from being considered equals, no different than the BCS system. Ultimately he said " none of the power 5 schools are willing to share the wealth" which goes without saying this is the fundamental reason that nothing is going to change. We have to get into a conference that needs us to stay relevant. I believe this is the whole reason that Khator, Fertitta, Pezman et al continue to bang the “keep UH Nationally relevant” drum. These leaves us with two possible landing spots. Big 12 and Pac 12. Both need to be propped up. The perception of both “P5” conferences is waning. Realignment is more likely than the CFB Playoff changing.

2 Likes