Civics 101 - understanding the law

Can we try again? Just wondering, respectfully speaking.

Question:
Does attorney/client privilege cover:

1. any conversation between client and attorney or
  2. any conversation between attorney speaking in defense of his client and anyone
    ?

FWIW: Google the latest on Rudy Giuliani.

#1 with caveats. For instance, privilege does not cover any discussions that are in furtherance of the commission of a crime. If you tell an attorney that you have committed a crime, that’s protected. If you and your attorney plan to commit a crime, that’s not protected.

Why don’t you call your thread for what it is?

Law naturally would be able to define it better. But I’ve always understood attorney-client privilege as protected unless the lawyer is an active participant in the criminal activity.

Basic example:

Client “I robbed the bank” would be privileged

Attorney “I robbed the bank just like you wanted and with the steps you gave me” would not be privileged.

Rudy wants privilege for any conversation he’s had with anyone regarding anything about his client.

So yeah in that case

“This is our legal strategy for challenging the election.” Totally privileged.

“These are our crime plans for overturning the election in violation of laws.” Would not be protected.

It can be hard to retroactively declare stuff as privileged from my understanding. And everything isn’t privileged.

I deal with issues at work and we have to be very careful how we label things to avoid these issues.

As soon as you bring third parties into the discussion, it’s no longer privileged (with a few exceptions). If Rudy called an election official, that call is not privileged.

1 Like

If Rudy had a conversation with a third party and revealed something that Trump had told him that should have been privileged, then he committed professional misconduct by violating attorney client privilege. Is that what we are talking about?

On a related note:

Carl Bernstein discussing reporting on criminality 50 years ago and now. Eye-opening and alarming.

Pick your side with caution. This is different than your ordinary run the mill tribalism and willful ignorance.

1 Like

Who is carl berstein? Where was HE during the russia hoax?
What has he said since the russia hoax was debunked? TYPICAL.

Really?

1 Like

Yes really and…

What is deep throat

2 Likes

He was an investigative journalist for something that happened over a decade before I was born and I still know he is.

1 Like

I know who he is and I also know woodward as well.
Where were they during the russia hoax?
Silent
Crickets
and they call themselves journalists?
They could have uncovered this malarkey fabricated hoax within a few days if not weeks. They choose to LAY DOWN and be official lap dogs.
Marvin Zindler is a giant comparable to these frauds.

Marvin got rid of slime in the ice machines and the best little whorehouse in Texas, not much of a resume compared to Watergate

Then why did you… never mind.

1 Like

Lol, what a ridiculous comparison.

Can’t be much of a giant if you can’t be bothered to spell his name right.