Coaching carousel

The celebration can be heard as far away as the OK line.

Honestly, with the dumpster fire that he inherited, did Brown do that bad of a job? I thought he was in a good position to help WSU become the big dog in the new AAC.

does Texas even need a coach? they seem to be doing pretty damn good without beard

@JohnnyUtah we don’t know attendance numbers, fan engagement

This past off season, the transfers they were going for in the portal, i thought were low major. Definitely not Etienne or Ricky Council level

It sucks. I hope he gets another opportunity

Good points. I only know what I saw during games.

Mark Turgeon, former Maryland coach

UT fans are legit stressing about doing too good that Rodney Terry keeps his job :joy::joy:

2 Likes

Maybe that center will transfer. The one that’s like 7’5 or something

Rodney Terry has pulled UT together after the Beard scandal and has performed well enough to be brought back.

1 Like

Terry really isn’t a guy you want as your head coach if you want to be a powerhouse program.

1 Like

1 Like

Those LSU wannabe schools will sell their souls to be like them -

There are two different ways to view Rodney Terry’s “instant” success at UT.

One is that Terry is a previously unrecognized coaching genius who emerged just at the right moment to salvage UT’s success and make it even greater, and, therefore, he should remain UT’s coach, possibly forever.

The other is Terry was a mediocre coach at lesser mid-major schools who was an affirmative action hire as an assistant at UT and the fact that UT has been so highly successful with him at the helm just proves that “anybody” could coach the longhorns’ squad of highly acclaimed stud players to greater heights and so Terry should be replaced with some new cool coach.

Other considerations are how far UT advances in the NCAA tournament, whether UT wants a coach with SEC experience, and does UT want a hip/cool coach such as Shaka Smart or a good ole boy coach like Rick Barnes.

The temptation is great to hire the interim coach who is successful. We don’t know if Terry was doing the recruiting or was it Beard? We don’t know who’s run successful practices, Terry or Beard. Is Terry just channeling Beard on the in-game decisions or are his assistants giving him the good advice.

That’s the chance any school in any sport takes on hiring the interim coach. At UT, the visibility and expectations are so high that only a splash hire is the safe hire for an AD who has had a couple misses. If this happened at UTEP, for example, the stakes are much lower hiring the interim.

Mike Hopkins gets another year at Washington. As did Haase at Stanford.

Pac12 :heart: mediocrity

1 Like

Really? How did you come to that conclusion ?

This was the Texas Tech coach last year

He wasnt particularly good at Fresno St (one tourney appearance in 7 seasons) and in 3 seasons at UTEP he never made the tourney. He has done a nice job taking over a loaded roster that Beard built but I don’t think that small sample size of success out weights his history of mediocrity as a head coach and program builder.

1 Like

Ok but it is so hard to win in big 12 or any of the talent loaded conferences that even though it is 1 year one has to take into consideration. I think Rodney did an excellent job. Who would have thought that Texas will have a 2 seed and almost 1 seed after all the drama with Beard. The team could have easily crumbled. But he kept them together and won games. If Texas is smart, they will give him a 5 year deal with quarter of the money they will pay for any big shot and go from there.