Could CFP Expansion to 12 Teams Eliminate G5 label?

I don’t believe so. From the way he explained it, no university logo is allowed.

1 Like

Yes no UH logo but Houston is not a property of the University of Houston. I can’t remember the extent of our trademarks.

1 Like

That makes sense. An athlete could wear a red Houston shirt and still be within the guidelines I would assume. I imagine the rules on this will be laid out and no margin for error on trademark infringement.

1 Like

The ncaa has to come out with guidelines ASAP. We are just a few months away from the start of the season. Surely the ncaa law department anticipated this ruling.

2 Likes

When So Tx Law tried to change their name to “Houston Law Center” UH was able to get it squashed because of trademark infringement. In the case of a red shirt with Houston on an athlete would be perceived as University of Houston and would be trademark and copyright infringement.

The NCAA has told schools they can create their own NIL rules as of July 1st. Schools must adhere to any state NIL laws which will be enacted on July 1st.

This means yes players can wear “HOUSTON” on football jersey unless UH NIL rules say no.

The state of Texas NIL law only has restrictions on certain business types where student athletes cannot endorse alcohol, tobacco, firearms, sexual oriented, betting and a few more.

https://twitter.com/RossDellenger/status/1406973751581892619?s=03

It’s the, WILD WILD WEST.

UH is pretty quiet on the NIL stuff. I hope Pez has an agency ready to assist our student athletes.

Compliance is well involved so being handled.

2 Likes

Great to hear. I assume the objective of the department is to be as liberal as possible so
that athletes can get as much endorsement as possible.

Oddly enough, I did a search on “Coogs” at the trademark words website and it did not
find anything ??? Admittley, I could be using this tool incorrectly…this seems weird.
https://tmsearch.uspto.gov

I would assume that is they can’t directly use schools there is going to be obvious code words athletes can use, or as mentioned a red shirt with white “Houston” lettering that isn’t in official fonts. Just like no one not officially pudding the NFL can legally say “Super Bowl” but everyone knows that around January/February what “The Big Game” is.

I thought there was no such thing as negative PR

CFP expansion gives us access to the playoffs. The end game should be to get P5 money. That is the only thing that matters long term. No money, no consistent excellence, unless we want to drop down to FCS.

My guess is that athletes will be able to endorse whatever they want. They have no collective bargaining agreement or contract prohibiting them from any particular firms or products. Let the lawsuits begin.

1 Like

That’s the tricky part. How do you get P5 TV conference money without joining a P5?

So he could wear a red shirt with Houston on it and the add say something like, “Houston collegiate football player uses our protein powder?”

Eureka! Plan A is to get into a P5. Plan B is to bribe enough people to fulfill Plan A.

2 Likes

Not sure on all the rules. They are all still learning what they can and can’t do I’m guessing. It would be nice for UH to get some mention though. All I know from him is you can’t use the UH name as of now.

The gap is going to continue to widen. Even if the AAC continues to set itself apart from the rest of the G5 the money the P5 teams receive annually will be anywhere from 3-4 to 7-8 times as high as the AAC in most cases.

Even with a path to the playoffs, the goal should remain to become a P5 team (no matter the odds). I expect something to happen in the next few years (XII GOR, PAC XII changes and hopefully we get our shot).

2 Likes

Trust me on this people. Somehow someway UH will get screwed in this 12 team playoff thing.
Big East = BCS---- Nope
BigXII invite = Changed their minds
Playoff chance for G5 schools = UH gets screwed again.

2 Likes

“As the clear-cut leader among Group of Five conferences, the AAC could benefit hugely from a guaranteed annual playoff appearance. It would finally be able to capitalize on all of the television deals, big contracts and marketing opportunities that were previously exclusive to the Power Five. In other words, playoff expansion would give AAC programs big-time money. Money that could give it the resources it needs to overtake the Pac-12 as a Power Five conference.”

“Pate elaborates on this very subject, suggesting that all of the AAC schools that are located in recruiting hotbeds, such as Texas and Florida — schools that Pac-12 programs like Oregon have routinely mined for talent — will finally have the ability to keep local prospects home with larger budgets.

“Pate didn’t pull any punches in forecasting the outcome of the Pac-12 as a result of this, saying, “They [the AAC] are going to overtake the Pac-12 in time if this [the new playoff format] goes through. I don’t see any way around that.”

4 Likes

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1778286719000171&id=967884246707093

1 Like