Could CFP Expansion to 12 Teams Eliminate G5 label?

And they won’t. Guaranteed spots 5 and 6 will go to PAC 12, AAC, and/or MWC.

1 Like

Wait til the ink dries, ladies. I guarantee you there will be no more that one guaranteed g5 representative in the playoff.

1 Like

Yes there will be only one G5 in the playoffs but there is a scenario for a second G5 to be in the conversation. Both AAC teams beat both their P5 opponents and go undefeated then meet up in the conference championship game. The G5 team that lost with a record of 12-1, also beat OU (Big 12 champs) and Vanderbilt in the regular season. Although that G5 may not get in, it will be heavily debated.

2 Likes

Yes it does. Just look at the Texans winning all of those AFC South titles at 9-7, then get sent packing.
This will help the Alabamas, Clemsons, OUs of CFB. The big boys who are always there.
And it will also help the UH, UCF, Memphis, Boises, and San Diegos. Even the Iowa’s States. The often low profile, over performing teams.
It will hurt the Michigan’s, Texas, Tennessees, and other high profile underperforming teams.
And will hurt the low end P5 teams.

We’re not sure if that top G5 champ is going to get a home game. If that team is 12-1, they may be ranked 9th or 10th. Remember the highest undefeated Cincinnati got was 8th. We can get in the playoffs now, but getting that home game will be an up hill battle.

A non P5 will not get to host a home playoff game.

1 Like

An 8th. ranked Cincy would have hosted a game under this proposal.

Am fairly sure our 2015 team would have hosted a game.

100% sure that the undefeated UCF team would have hosted.

Our Conference is going to host a game most seasons. Book it !

1 Like

It will be tough.

We would have played at Iowa in 2015.

Depending on how G5/P5 teams are treated, I sadly could see the CFP slotting Georgia ahead of Cincinnati this past year or one of the other 1 loss P5 teams (covid year).

2018 UCF would probably have been our best shot.

…then you go to the ncaa and you tell them that you do not agree with having 10 FBS Div I conferences. A 16 schools(not franchises) field will enable to have seeding. Does an 8-8 NFL teams belongs in the playoffs? It happens regularly. Is it fair? Ask the 2020 Washington Football team when they won their conference with a losing record and lost in the wild card game. The very same thing can be done with a conference champion with this kind of records. A P5 complains and act like an adult cry baby

You got a problem with it P5? Let me ask you a simple question.
Why don’t you move to one of these conferences and beat the snot of these schools?
No we can’t do that
Why not
The money

Yes Sam this is what it is about.

The NCAA is a lumbering dinosaur.

Sounds good. Of course in the real world telling them you didn’t agree with the setup and insisting on more access would have gotten you nowhere. The new playoff system seems pretty equitable, so things appear to have worked out pretty well. We can complain, but until we start putting more than 25k fans in the stands for our games we don’t have much of a leg to stand on.

Incorrect on all counts. You seem to be conflating the end of the regular season AP rankings with the College Football Playoff Committee’s rankings. They are not nearly the same thing.

With respect to the 2015 UH team, at the end of the regular season we were ranked #14 in the AP poll while we were ranked #18 by the College Football Playoff Committee.

So even if we had been allowed into the playoffs - within the context of the being one of the top 6 conference champions in the proposed new playoff format - we would have been the lowest seeded team in the playoffs. In this regard, we would have played a first round road game against the #5-#8 seeded team - which would have been at Iowa or Ohio State or Notre Dame or Stanford. And that’s the simple truth of the matter. The College Football Playoff Committee can not ever reasonably be expected to rank an AAC team in their Top 8 rankings due to the monie$ and prestige involved.

Maybe now…but I don’t think this will hold true.

If a “G5” team is consistently competitive and can actually back it up, they will slowly earn the respect to break through the old guard.

Just look at Gonzaga…they were #1 the whole season and ended up with the #1 overall seed from a committee that was also accused of P5 bias (look how many B1G 10 teams made it in)

1 Like

-AAC 5 of 7 years seems about right. Hopefully its every year when it starts w the huge upswing of AAC FB these days.
-Once in 7 years seems fair for the MAC & Sun Belt but the MWC also was a surprise.

I would be surprised if they don’t at least threaten to delay it to the end of the ESPN contract.
Hit the open market for what should be an unprecedented bidding war. This would be the chance for someone like Amazon to go all in.

And as I mentioned before, the other two years we had some pretty lackluster champions (9-3 Memphis, and 10-3 Temple). I can’t argue with being left out those years.

1 Like

To delay this possible expansion makes sense.
Regarding UCF hosting a game because of their record.
We can’t make assumptions. Only the the cartel cfp decides and will decides. One thing we know for sure is that the cartel will do what is best for them.
The question that every G5 commissioner should ask themselves is how is the money is going to be distributed. This is at the heart of why the cartel exists.

Will each conference be paid equally regardless of the P5 or a G5 moniker
Will each round have a prize money and how will that be divided
Explain how each conference will be paid
Explain the ranking methods the cfp will use
Demand for an equal voting representation from P5’s and G5’s members

Now this might be the biggest question to ask.
Demand that the ncaa take full control and create once and for all a true National championship like Div II has. It makes no sense that the ncaa sanctions the regular season and then takes a hike. You can’t have it both ways. The ncaa brass makes $M’s per year. This is supposed to be a non profit organization. What do these “puppets” do? Cater to the P5’s? It sure looks like it.

Derek was talking about this yesterday actually. If say for example GNC was to use him, or any athlete for an add, they cannot say “ Derek Parish, UH football player , uses our protein powder” They have to use “college athlete” in general terms. No use of the university name will be allowed. I was curious if the university name would be allowed at all.

1 Like

Hmmm…that’s going to greatly diminish the perceived benefits to the athletes IMHO.

It is an interesting point Giena. I can’t remember if the term Houston is copyrighted when it is used for college related business. Could Derek be doing an add in red with Houston on its jersey?

I’m guessing they will not be allowed to wear any uh gear in the commercial either

1 Like