Could FC Expand?

This is true, but it’s not likely to happen that way.

I think we’re going to be seeing quite a few Tech, BYU, Baylor & Kansas fans inside the Fertitta Center for sure. [NOTE: More so than we’ve been seeing quite a few Memphis fans at Fertitta Center as well.]

I hope the students don’t sell their tickets. (If that’s even possible)

Nope, if youre caught doing it you get banned from attending for the year

3 Likes

i just saw this but here is the interior design to baylors new arena its identical to ours except for some school colot changes

the only interior difference is the camera angle will face the fans

2 Likes

UH should take a pointer from that camera angle :eyes::eyes::eyes:

They said it was about to happen but COVID

2 Likes

There is so much talk about this camera angle. We better not see the student section empty. At least when the gray seats are empty, it still looks nice. The student section is just bleachers with a concrete wall.

4 Likes

Incentives yo

1 Like

It won’t be empty, but there will be lots of high def video of it being partially full of kids looking at their phones. Then we’ll be hearing a lot how it’s close to finals, Christmas break, etc.

What we really need is a movable camera angle :laughing:

2 Likes

Getting back to the thread title question…good architects know how to do make it happen. So, yes.

Ive heard Oklahoma States arena is built too big. Doug Gottlieb former OSU alum might have mentioned that. (13,611 seat capacity)

BYU, has a 20K arena. So, you’re not filling that every game.

But Kansas St and UCF. To be at 50%, that screams coaching change which Kansas St did. Now, we’ll see about UCF.

I think the question of will Fertita Center be expanded in this decade is fair. 2028-2029. Ten years of being in the current Fertita Center. I think you could see something. But not in the near future

I think the perfect size for a P5 good program would be 10k tops!!!

For football, no roof stadium where the weather is extremely (90’s degrees during day time) hot 50k tops!!!

2 Likes

I have two great seats. 115, row 11 right on the end. Total cost is about $750. As long as the prices are great like this I think that will help keep the reselling down. I know personally I’d never sell tickets to marquee games because I got them specifically to attend those games. Perhaps, if I had 4 or 6.

1 Like

calipari on on twitter yesterday after annoucing the gonzaga /kentucky home and home

a sticking point for calipari was that gonzaga had to play the game in a bigger arena, that kentucky will never play in an arena that small as an away game…

another reason for @TJCoog capacity impacts teams willingness to schedule you

Calipari is soft for that though. Basically saying they will lose if they play at Gonzaga on campus.

2 Likes

The arena you play at does affect who will come there, but not sure I’m buying this explanation from Cal here as more than an excuse. UNC has played at McCarthey Athletic Center and Kansas will be playing there next year. So have UCLA and Arizona.

I know Cal is still salty about when Kentucky lost to Robert Morris in what was almost a high school gym in the NIT but playing Gonzaga on the road is a different story.

BS excuse to soften their home court advantage.

3 Likes

Right. And to add to that, it seems like Cal is saying that having the small arena gives too much of a home court advantage to Gonzaga. If you take Cal at face value and that’s really true (which I don’t), I would trade losing out on a good OOC opponent every now and then if it means we in fact have a better home court advantage for the games we play there. After we join the Big 12 we really only need one good OOC home opponent per season.

1 Like

Saw this tweet that Kellen Sampson liked on Twitter. The idea for Oklahoma to build a new arena & reduce capacity to about 7K-8K

Unless you’re a Duke, Kansas, UNC blue blood program & several others (BIG 10, SEC), having over 10K size arena doesn’t make sense anymore for hoops

1 Like

People are noticing you get better views and a better experience in a smaller stadium. It’s more intimidating to feel the crowd on top of you. More schools will follow suit.

Duke was first
Then us more recently and new. They’ve seen we barely lose games at home
TU
Baylor
And if OU does it OU

1 Like

I don’t feel that UH needs an arena larger than 10K either. I just want the FC to hold more than 7,100.
Still bugs me that TSU’s is larger than UH’s.

1 Like