Could the NHL be coming to Houston?

I’ve been to many (probably 30-40) hockey games and have never seen a hat trick. Kind of happy about that because I have never lost a hat.

I think everybody in the arena lost their hat. They were literally a foot deep on the ice. Amazing.

1 Like

Sure let’s add another reason for Houstonians not to attend UH games.

You guys must be bonghorns with an agenda.

1 Like

The market is completely different. Very little overlap.

Having lived in DC, I can tell you that Caps fans are almost a cult unto themselves.

The “bonghorns with an agenda” are the local news directors, sports directors and sportscasters who would much rather cover the out of town schools they attended instead of the local schools. UHFB coverage should be second only to the Texans, but usually comes in behind the universities of austin, college station, & huntsville. They know how easy it is to control what people think and like, and they do more to hurt attendance at UH games than an NHL team ever would.

There are plenty of people in the Houston area to attend a bunch more events, especially if it is really the world-class city we like to say it is. And people have never needed an excuse to not attend UH games. They just don’t attend… No explanation needed.

And even beyond that, NHL fans won’t interfere with any other sport in town, because they are such an insular cult.

Case in point.

Do the Dallas Stars interfere with either Mavs or SMU attendance? Doubtful!

There isn’t much overlap between Stars fans and those other fans.

1 Like

I agree. But in addition to UH football and basketball, I go to a lot of things like the Houston Symphony, concerts in a few venues, Astros, Sabercats, etc. I think that’s all pretty normal. It doesn’t take a lot of work to find something cool to do in Houston. NHL would just be another cool option.

You could also argue that college sports impact attendance at the professional level. In the last 30 years, there have been single months during which I went to more UHBB games than I have Astros games in the entire 30 years. I think I’ve actually seen more UH games at MMP than Astros games. In my case, cost and convenience are factors. College baseball is every bit as entertaining as MLB at a fraction of the price.
If we got an NHL team, I doubt I’d ever go to an game, but I think the 4th largest city in the US deserves and could support one.