Covid-19 comparison

Not necessarily the mindset of following government…but a natural mindset of caring for others and society as whole instead of only caring for yourself. I.e. Japan and Korea never had official mask orders. The government distributed them, but they were never mandatory. But people wore them and as we’ve seen here, it does wonders for minimizing community spread.

In the US masks stupidly became a symbol of something nonsensical. I’ve seen the memes, so I know what people think. But that mindset overall bit us in the butt and it is why we still can’t have nice things.

Heres a painful twist of irony…the only reason why local governments had to step in and order us to wear masks is because we don’t have the common sense to govern ourselves. Personal freedom requires social responsibility to work but people don’t get that.

7 Likes

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2020-08-20/macron-rules-out-shutdown-as-europe-grapples-with-virus-upsurge

So much for the European lockdown.

This is correct, again this is why we needed a different way to convince them to wear a mask, which never happened. Different strokes for different folks. One message works in Japan and Korea, not the US.

Yup. But we did something far worse than failing to convince people to wear masks. We turned the refusal to wear masks into a political statement, and then doubled down on political divisiveness in the midst of a pandemic when there should have been a call for unity.

4 Likes

Which other country had it’s leader say “this is a mask, I’m not going wear it”

Brazil

4 Likes

Bolsonaro is also pushing unproven HQ as a cure. I never imagined we would be competing with India and Brazil for honors of who can manage this worse.

5 Likes

Welp Europe didn’t turnout to be as good at this as we thought.

We daily have nearly as many die in a prolonged first wave as they daily have new cases in a second wave everyone expected. Yeah, they suck. Just amazing what I often see on this site.

5 Likes

Umm their second wave is just starting. The reason we have one big first wave is we have completely different climates in different areas of the Country. First its the North with winter and they go inside and then the South with summer and we go inside. It looks like one big wave but it really isn’t.

Lockdowns don’t work.

It would be funny if not such a sad commentary. I agree with Lawbert’s question a few weeks ago

3 Likes

Dang France is going all Sweden:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thelocal.fr/20200820/macron-says-france-cannot-be-put-on-hold-despite-rapidly-rising-number-of-covid-19-cases/amp

They have always gone their own way. It is that je ne sais quoi.

We can’t afford to shut down this or other countries again. The world economy depends on it. Ticketing people for not wearing a mask in public should be the norm.
We get a ticket because we break the speed limit. Breaking the speed limit is an excuse or should be stated as endangering the lives of others due to speeding. The same logic can and should be applied.

3 Likes

I’d be all for this and I agree. We need to avoid another full shutdown

1 Like

The political aspect was a mess, both parties and at multiple levels.

What they needed to do was hire a really good ad firm to put in a multi-pronged approach (ie. message specific to each target group) to get people to wear their masks when appropriate, limit group activities, and not have unrealistic expectations of no infections.

Not hard to do considering the advertising/marketing expertise within this country. Not to mention google has more info on every individual than the govt ever did.

I agree with you. Have people changed their thoughts on this since the spring/early summer? I remember people going crazy anytime a mask mandate with penalties towards individuals was brought up. Our governor said he would never allow any personal fines for masks.

1 Like

Did anyone brought up the analogy of speeding & wearing a mask? No they did not but they should have and should do so NOW.

Yeah, it was hotly debated on this board when Lina proposed it.

People on this board did so I would be shocked if others didn’t. We do have the most intelligent people in the world here though, well according to us.

I get what you are saying. In some countries cv19 music videos were really catchy.

A easy question…if the president would have encouraged, supported and demonstrated that he too would wear a mask. Maybe, it would be easier to get everyone to wear one?

Instead, masks were politicized and certain politicians encouraged anti maskers and helped give them a voice instead of asking them to get on board.

I traveled out of the country when cv19 was starting and I heard PSAs and commercials encouraging people to not panic, wash your hands, use sanitizer…ect…other countries were doing this in the first week in March.

To enter the country they took my temp just to enter.

While I was there I learned someone I had dinner with had spent time with someone who had contact with someone with covid.

When I checked in the United ap asked me to report that when I entered the US. As soon as I got to passport control in the US I shared the information. The response “your good”. It was not until 10 more days before they even tried screening at US airports.

We basically had all of Feb to prepare and we wasted it.

1 Like