Covid

Here is some advice for you, get plugged in before you go dead.
11%

That study showed hesitancy was U-shaped based on education.

1 Like

2 Likes

Yes, now if six turned out to be nine
I don’t mind, I don’t mind
If all the hippies cut off all their hair
I don’t care, I don’t care, dig

'Cause I got my own world to live through and uh
And I ain’t gonna copy you

2 Likes

Look at zip code vaccination rates in Houston. The richest zip codes have the highest rates of vaccination. The poorest, the least.

3 Likes

Okay, I see the angle they are trying to play then with natural immunity is better stuff.

I think Chris advocates that position too, based on his previous posts. But then you have to
ignore this study that just came out:

Additionally, while people who get sick with Covid-19 have some protection against reinfection, it may be short-lived, according to a study published Friday in the journal The Lancet Microbe.

“Reinfection can reasonably happen in three months or less,” Jeffrey Townsend, a professor of biostatistics at the Yale School of Public Health and the study’s lead author, said in a news release. “Therefore, those who have been naturally infected should get vaccinated. Previous infection alone can offer very little long-term protection against subsequent infections.”

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/01/us/covid-19-letter-to-the-editor-tampa-bay-times/index.html

Ahh yes… that unknown day in the fictional future where someone has a eureka moment. Of course
some of the same people said that about HCQ as well who are now pushing Inver.

It is almost like all the times it had been claimed that “Texas is back”.

There are a lot of things that kill Covid in a lab but don’t in Humans. Let’s try them all as cures and preventatives instead of a vaccine we know actually works to prevent death.

3 Likes

Just gonna leave this here:

Also… just my humble perspective. I’m a 7+ year veteran at the most prestigious hospital in the TMC. Experience rooted in ops/hr, now nursing ops again since 11/2019. Working with head admins/sr leaders… get the frogging %#*:face_with_spiral_eyes: jab already so we can get some normalcy!

Wife is an Bsn, also newly minted NP who will be moving on soon… ironically enough part of my job controls redeploying RNs from non-covid units to work on covid units, it’s flogging heartbreaking to have to do that to people (including wife) all because… you know.

Wear a friggin mask.

7 Likes

Here is an opinion article, the seems to be balanced, that puts a bit of
a damper on the hope of the new antiviral covid meds. My takeaway opinion form
article is fully vaccinated still best option; don’t delay the jab thinking this will be
your get out of the morgue free card in the future if you get sick.

1 Like

That looks like person that doesn’t understand math. Covid mortality is
still 1.6% or 0.016 for mathematically challenged . Hospitalized mortality
is still > 8% or 0.08.

Getting hit by an asteroid is much much much lower.

I think I know you meant this to be humorous, but since I had 2 nearby neighbors die of
covid in last 3 weeks, it’s really not funny at all. Post on the humor board and don’t
spread misinformation.

lifetime odds of dying from a local meteorite, asteroid, or comet impact at 1 in 1,600,000.

That’s 0.000000625 or .0000625 %

5 Likes

They are taking the chances of the meteor last year (already passed) entering the earth’s atmosphere. There was that chance even though there should be a percent at the end the number.

That said, the meteor in question was expected to burn up in the earth’s atmosphere so the number isn’t correct. In any event, that percent chance doesn’t equate to any person dying as everyone wouldn’t be hit. Lots of holes to poke in this one.

1 Like

True, but I think some folks really believe in these absurd comparisons.

Well I think that much is obvious.

Actually aren’t the chances of the earth being hit by an asteroid 1 (or 100%)? We’ve been hit by who knows how many asteroids in the earth’s history, and will certainly be hit by another in the earth’s history.

I skimmed through the link below, and looks like NASA considers a “Potentially Hazardous Object” to be one that’s at least 140 m (0.14 km) in diameter. Based on NASA’s “Sentry Impact Risk Table” (linked from the page below), the highest probability of impact from a PHO is Bennu, which has a probability of 0.00057 (or 0.057%) of impact…sometime between the years 2178 - 2290. From what I read, Bennu isn’t large enough to wipe out civilization or cause mass extinctions, but would be “locally devastating” wherever it hits.

https://www.nasa.gov/planetarydefense/did-you-know

TL;DR – it’s safe to say that COVID-19 is a bigger immediate risk to any of us than an asteroid.

Depends on what size the asteroid is. Getting hit by a baseball sized piece of rock going very fast is going to leave a mark

Three months to go in 2021, but we’ve already broken our record!!!

U.S. deaths from virus in 2021 surpass 2020 total; J&J booster shots (usatoday.com)

USA! USA! USA!

Number 1!!!

**Not an endorsement for Super Beets. This statement has not been evaluated by the FDA. This post is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.

Pandemic’s drain on education could become economic problem for Texas (usatoday.com)