D’Eriq King

Wow 2 quarterbacks on his Heisman list who played at Manvel at the same time.

2 Likes

And, the both play in Florida. Lol

Went to the game (kid goes to UM). First off, let me say FSU is hot garbage. Don’t know how it looked on TV but jeez.
Miami’s strength is their running back and defense. King is a good fit for that offense, with his runs and ability to complete a pass, which Miami hasn’t had from their QBs in a while. Still, the Miami fans were screaming at King for not seeing the open receivers, and I think that’s the crux of his game, his field vision beyond the called play is not that far downfield. I saw nothing from King different than I saw last year from him, just a stronger team around him.
Side note - Miami’s ring of honor is pretty impressive

2 Likes

Actually, Trask never really played. He was King’s backup. My boys played Manvel for 3 years in district and we never played against him. It’s awesome to see him doing so well in college.

2 Likes

Trask was the backup. I always wondered why he didn’t go to Alvin

1 Like

I’m surprised he still managed to throw for 800 yards his senior year while being the backup.

1 Like

He talked about that in an interview last year. He said something about not wanting to leave a place he was familiar with for years and stuff like that.

King said that he and Trask were both buried on the depth chart at Manvel initially. Out of 8 quarterbacks, he was 8th and Trask was 3rd. Everybody else transferred out and they were the only two left.

Life has an interesting way of turning out.

3 Likes

Good point Butch about the two quarterbacks on the list going to Manvel. The talent that has come from the south between Shadow Creek and Manvel is unbelievable. Actually all of Houston in all directions is a hot bed of talented football player, especially Fort Bend.
The pandemic has changed things but I’ve always enjoyed going to a high school football game on a Friday night to support the schools, see great players, be entertained and perhaps see the next D’Eiq King. It beats watching Matlock reruns.

1 Like

When Manvel was in our district before dropping back to 5a, our opponents were Pasadena area schools. I would imagine he was able to take over for King a few times. Manvel always had high scoring games . Their only real competition was Pearland, where my son’s played and Dawson.

I don’t think there is any hate; I think most wish him well. It’s just he isn’t our QB any more and we are backing our team. I just really don’t care what Miami does.

4 Likes

That’s kind of me, wish him the best, and glad it’s working out for him. He’s still a very entertaining player and here with watching if you run into him on the TV.

The thing I see that is disheartening about Kings is, when he goes to the Heisman ceremony, NFL combine, draft or being introduced at his NFL games, he will be announced as the QB from Miami. It will be like UH never existed for him in the public eye.

2 Likes

His degree will always say UH.

9 Likes

Watching my grass grow is more entertaining than watching Matlock reruns . . . . .

1 Like

I invite you to revisit his 2018 passing statistics. Then you can come back and retract this statement.

1 Like

I’ve had jobs and assignments where I was not a good fit and have seen others in the same situation. King is like that; mad skills that did not mesh with his organization. Sometimes even talented people need to move on.

4 Likes

I believe King was very accurate as a passer in 2018. The receivers dropped a lot of balls that were very catchable.

1 Like

Exactly! Coogfans has some s***** here.

What? Did you not watch 2018?

In 2018, King was lights out, 36 TD’s, only 6 Ints, 63% completions, and 2982 yards. But last year, things went south.

Here are the passing statistics from last year:
Passer__GP__Effic___Comp__Att__Int__%___Yards_TD_Long_Avg/Gm
TUNE____7__141.38__106___179__9__59.2__1533_11__96___219
KING____4___117.72__58____110__2__52.7___663_6___75___165.8

1 Like