Dana Holgorsen Appreciation Thread

Good news but let’s not forget:

• Donated one million to the FOB

• Was hired for a purpose to commit to UH and be a piece in bringing it to the P5

• Genuinely loves UH regardless, and wanted them to succeed

Tough these were the results we never wanted, thank you, Dana

48 Likes

sometimes it just doesn’t work out even when a guy wants to be here. dude is getting $14 million to not work, good for him. Onto the next guy

17 Likes

We all wanted him to be successful.

Thank you for your efforts. Enjoy your payout!!

Please come back if you want to be an analyst or OC.

13 Likes

In recognition of his generic offense and mediocre overall record, I honor Dana with this generic token of my mediocre appreciation:

8 Likes
  • Donated one million to the FOB

I think he did this as an insurance policy for job security, truthfully. However, yes it was a nice gesture.

• Genuinely loves UH regardless, and wanted them to succeed

I don’t think he came here expecting conference realignment so quickly. I think he thought UH would be an easy job given the location and his familiarity with Houston.

I wish him the best.

5 Likes

Wished it would’ve worked out for him, but change was needed. Thankful for the two bowl wins, an appearance in the AAC Championship, a win against Baylor and keeping the Texas game close. Hope he’s successful wherever he heads to next.

8 Likes

Look forward to buying him a drink at steak 48 or demeris.

It was more than enough time at UH

2 Likes

I was excited when we hired him but it was down hill from there. I did enjoy the 2021 season and the Memphis comeback and the Marcus Jones/SMU game. In the end, it was well short of what he was hired to do. He will be set for life and prob can get back to OC somewhere. See ya Holgo.

5 Likes

Lives of many assistant coaches, analysts and their families are impacted by this decision.

Tough Sunday morning for them.

17 Likes

Appreciate the efforts, but it was time. He bet on a transfer portal recruitment strategy and then covid happened. An argument could be made that COVID was a major factor in how poor our recruiting has been. NO QB’s after Tune, poor o-line, and corners.

He’s a millionaire regardless, so no sympathy from me, but I respect the efforts. It was time to move on and explore other options.

5 Likes

Such is the life of coaches and assistants, especially at major colleges and universities. Very shallow roots are the best option for these folks.

5 Likes

His mistake was tanking his first season on purpose and that season being followed by a covid season. Hard to recruit with a start like that.

12 Likes

7 Likes

He sold us on that and it was an epic failure

1 Like

@firstandten that first season was weird. You get off to a poor start & try to redshirt your starting QB? To save him for next yr

Has any program ever done that???

Even if you do suck, the whole roster worked their ass off the whole offseason. You dont throw in the towel 4 games in

5 Likes

Glad you’re gone. Take Dor with you!

9 Likes

I have nothing to appreciate about him. It was a mistake to hire him. He never seemed to have any intention to actually work, especially on the recruiting trail. He was cantankerous with media and fans and a bad representative of the university. He did it all for 3x the amount of the previous staff.

10 Likes

All I can say is WVU Fans warned us. They really did. Said he was lazy and ineffective and we all balked because we just “stole” a P5 coach… When in reality they were giving him to us and grinning the whole time.

7 Likes

True, you can never try not to win.

When we hired Dana, we were sold on his ties to Texas/Houston, and the fact that we were still a G5 team at the time added to the allure that we “stole a P5” coach

He also sold us on continuity and “wanting to be here”

3 Likes