Davis coming here

He’s one Hell of a ballplayer.

1 Like

Are we still talking about Davis and Memphis? I absolutely can’t wait to play those guys!
I laugh at the ones who think Davis wasn’t recruited by us because of money.
Well Davis is not even in the same stratosphere with Jarace.
And seriously I doubt we offered considering the guards we have on campus.
You guys in a love fest with Davis just picture him in that Memphis uniform.

4 Likes

I’m not in love with him. I did want him to come here because he was AAC Player of the Year. I’m over it now though, and throwing chicken bones for broome.

It doesn’t look like we’re getting him though.

Whenever we have someone that’s interested in us the smoke is so thick you can’t see through it.

I’m not seeing any smoke.

Not seeing any smoke when every analyst including insider information on this board has Lofton coming here?

I wasn’t singling you out Funk, I like Davis’ game also but never felt he was a good fit here. And with Sasser coming back I think that sealed his deal with Memphis

2 Likes

I meant a Big…as in height.

David is a front line talent. If he was interested Sampson I think would absolutely kick the tires on him and see if would’ve fit in the group. But I think Davis followed the money to set himself and his kid up. Big NIL means he could potentially set things up for years down the road.

And back to square one. Coach voted for him as MVP, true but how do you or anyone else know we offered? Coach was not, I repeat, was not going to bench Sasser or Shead.
I think Shead will continue to get better as a shooter so let’s see how well Davis defends us

2 Likes

Again we weren’t interested.
The POY went to Davis for one reason, Sasser was not playing.

Didn’t say that we offered, I said the coaches probably talked to him if he was interested, and see if it things could work. Probably chatted and decided it wasn’t going to work out for either one of us. He’s a front line talent, he would be worth a phone call.

1 Like

That’s my point. It was never going to happen here and our staff knew it.

just to throw my unwattented opinion in this…

we probably recruited davis… but because he asked us too… a talent like davis saying he wants to come to houston is something you dont overlook… we probably dont recruit him otherwise, samspon has never recruited a 5’11 or shorter guard to houston… but we keep the 13th ship open at houston for situations like that

but again there is a drastic overhyping of what shead is here… im a believer that shead can be the starting pg to a title team, maybe even next year… but that will require alot of development from shead…some here act like he is already dominant, which he isnt… yet

Sure but were galen and dejon “dominant” based on your terminology?

1 Like

With the way Shead was playing last year all he needs is a consistent 3 ball

He has everything else pretty much down IMO

2 Likes

Took over down the stretch against Illinois. Was the best player on the court against Arizona.

4 Likes

i dont think any ever referred to dejon or galen as dominant…if anything people were hoping dejon transferred after his junior year- which caused debates here

if you are asking for a comp… dejon was a way better defender (talking strictly senior dejon vs last year shead— obviously shead can get better, as dejon improved from junior to senior defensively)
i probably shouldnt say this outloud but shead is probably already as good as senior galen but less speed (talking skill not program impact)

2 Likes

I think thats spot on

his defense has room to improve (for the potential he has there)
and shead cant go left as a scorer, teams started daring him to go left at the end of the season… standing to the right of him (not in front) and giving him space on the left

Not sure if Shead will ever be a great three point shooter, but he surely has good form. His role is to lead this team and distribute the ball to the main scorers and to play tough defense.
To say he has been over hyped is just ridiculous. There is no way we make the elite eight last year without Shead being our point guard.
After the job he did on Villanova’s Gillespie I don’t think there is any question he played very well for a guy starting for the first time.
Shead is going to get better and better. I think he has the potential to be one of the best guards we have had attacking and dishing the basket. His floater in the lane is going to improve and he has plenty of time to develop his three point shot.
Does anyone here honestly think a guy like Jarreau or Galen could have led us to an elite eight as a freshman starter?
Shead’s best days are ahead of him and our coaching staff is well aware of that.

2 Likes

overhyped in relation to some of our fans… saying shead is the best pg in the nation already, davis would be his bench,… saying shead is already dominant… crowning his defense the best on the team, when sampson himself said otherwise …the pedestal he is on by some of our fans is higher than what he probably is

i think everyone here agrees with the 2nd part, that he was great and amazing for the situation he was put in… and he has the potential to leave here a legend and finish as one of the greats. the discourse is those that think he is already there…

dejon and galen could not do what jamal did as a freshmen because they were poor defenders as freshmen, they had to develop their defense… jamal came into houston already a good defender… but a statement ill make that will get me intense amount of slander; with a extremely heavy asterisk that kelvin sampson is the head coach, i could name a few young pgs nationwide that if we switched out with shead, the results wouldn’t have been far off (again mega asterisk that Sampson is the head coach) … what shead does really well there are numerous other PG who also do it very well … when he levels up his offense as a scorer/shooter i think that when he’ll put himself in a league of his own

1 Like