Debunking Major's Claims About 3-Man Rush

Was talking about effectiveness of our defense and had a brain fart. Thanks

Every time I hear about how “back then we had really talented players” I think, yes, because we had good coaches.
Levine wins 5 games twice and 7 games once. Herman takes these players and goes to the Peach Bowl.
Crappy coaching makes players look like crap.
OTOH, Good coaching makes players look really good. We lost all of our starting receivers and have an entire new group. But they are putting up 48 points per game.
Somehow, magically, with better coaching these players suddenly got really good. Kind has about as many TD passes as the entire team did last year.
We had 297 yards ruching versus Arizona.
C’mon…everyone knows it is coaching.

8 Likes

Glad I never have those😎!

A rush is something that happens immediately upon snapping the ball. The dictionary definition is “a sudden quick movement toward something, typically by a number of people.” Blitzers that come on the snap are rushing. Down linemen that attack OL are rushers.

A delayed blitz is not rushing the QB.

Thanks for reading.

1 Like

The problem is, you are counting a delayed blitz as a 3 man rush. It’s a blitz plain and simple. It’s pretty obvious that in the context of what Applewhite is saying, we brought 3 men “about” 10 times, he isn’t talking about times we had less than 4 rushers. He is talking about times we only attacked with 3 men.

Monceaux nailed it. Tech neutralized Oliver and all the pass rush by getting the ball out within a few seconds. What that means is that the quarterback was making a quick reads and almost every time we were giving him plenty of cushion to hit his targets on screens. We did this the whole damn game and never bumped the receiver at the line of scrimmage taking away the screen and forcing the quarterback to scramble. He got into a rhythm and we never disrupted his timing. Also, you can’t have everyone on the defense playing in a box. You have to spread the defense of ends out similar to what TCU does to defend spread offenses. By doing this you also account for the potential screen out of the backfield from the RB or the end around. Everything about what I saw was the most idiotic defense I’ve seen in years.

5 Likes

I am willing to give Applewhite a pass on not hiring a DC. Our offense was so much worse. Also maybe due to CMD contract he was unable to who knows. I think we will do better this year even with CMD but we should consider moving away from him at the end of the year.

1 Like

He could be.Tom Brady is the real deal. Grier from West Virginia is the real deal. Neither of them are putting up 63 points on any DC they play.

I agree. It should have, but I think Briles and our schedule are going to do enough to save both of their jobs. That’s what I meant by he’ll be alright. I could be wrong however. Our DC could be worse next year if he doesn’t make strides. The tinfoil in me thinks he’s keeping the DC around for a fall-guy. Someone has to take the blame, and I’ve seen plenty of head coaches throw their assistants under the bus.

“This doesn’t add any new content to this discussion, but just want to contrast our bend but don’t break style to something awesome.”

God, I miss that defense.

1 Like

Ironic because that is how we beat Okie and FSU. Side to side, neutralize the pass rush.

Even if that definition was the correct one for football, you would still be wrong. Your screenshots even show the blitzer coming at the snap in multiple shots. Most of those “delayed blitzes” by CMD are only being called “delayed” because the rusher is so far from the line. That is why I always use quotes around it because they are coming on the snap 90% of the time, just rarely make it to the backfield because of how long it takes to get there. I am 100% with you that we need more guys on the line coming after the QB, just want to make that clear. If you don’t want to call a guy a blitzer or rusher because of where he lines up or if he waits a second to rush, then the whole thing gets stupid. Keep it simple. Our D sucked on the other 79 plays too.

But I guess in the end Applewhite should have just said “brought” instead of “rushed” so the Coogfan police wouldn’t come after him. You can’t be off by 10% on numbers or guys will spend hours proving you were wrong!

2 Likes

Guys may be spending hours but still get it wrong…

Also, DC was a bigger buyout than OC would have been, and changing both coordinators in a season signals (and maybe produces) chaos. I expect an upgrade next year.

Ryan just owned Applewhite

Thanks for putting this together!

2 Likes

I hope Briles is ready to be a head coach and can hire a quality DC

2 Likes

Major can spin this debacle any way he wants, but his team gave up over 700 yards and 63 points to a true freshman quarterback. Who thinks Texas Tech contends for the Big 12 title? Me either. Which is what makes this whole thing so infuriating. Tech is not that good. Okie State will beat them stupid. When Tech needed 28 yards for first down, we found a way to give up 29! Sorry, but this is a defensive coach who needs to reconsider his career choices. I say that not to be mean spirited. Who can be at work in any job they are so woefully unqualified for? He has to know at some level how terrible he is? Right?

2 Likes

I predict 5 wins for TTech. Happy if they prove me wrong.

3 Likes

I predict Texas Tech finishes top 10 in passing yards per game and going 4-1 in conference at home.

He will. Just won’t be here because our offense will win enough games to get him a hc job at a low g5 school or oc at a big p5 school. Then we will be without ed, an OC and stuck with Doritos and Applewhite.

3 Likes

2-3 most likely…maybe…3-2 !!