Disappointed in Dana!

levine was not given a long leash at all…
levine had 3 years total…the last 2 years were 8-5, his last year he finshed 6-2 on a team that was going to return most of its key players.

your post almost proves my point, you given dana an excuse for why its okay he sucked …
everyone here is acting like that army was a scrub… that army was ranked 22 when we played them, and we had a crazy amount of players injured. we werent favored to win going in…
getting blowout by an elite army team army team on a n 8-5 year is unforgiveable, but our worst record in 15 years and the 1st time in 20 years were a re projected to finish sub .500 in back to back years, and that is fine ?

2 Likes

I think this is mostly on point. It’s partly in the eye of the beholder but Dana was a mostly successful coach in the Big 12 (and one season in the Big East). He was also one of the top OCs in the country for a few years. Levine and Major had no head coaching experience. Levine had never been an offensive or defensive coordinator and Major’s record as an OC was kind of spotty. Also, with Major the supposed selling point was recruiting ability and that wasn’t panning out at all.

We did have a national embarrassment with Dana, though, with the redshirting last year and the guard who quit the team and napalmed the bridge behind him. But overall I agree that Levine following up a 13-1 season with an embarrassing loss at home to TX State and then squandering a sold out TDECU by losing to UTSA were especially egregious. With Major he probably would have been able to run it back if he didn’t lose Briles and get embarrassed by Army.

So that’s part of it too. Major and Levine both came in when the program was at a high point and it dropped right after.

Also, there is close to zero chance Dana gets fired after this year because of the financial commitment and what COVID has done to Tilman’s businesses. So anguishing about firing him really won’t do anything.

Finally, the season is still young. Yesterday was a complete embarrassment but before that I was generally fine with how the first three games played out and how we looked as a team and how we could look by the end of the season if we clean a few things up. If we have more losses this season like yesterday more folks will turn on Dana.

3 Likes

this doesnt include transfers…and jucos are barely ranked in this
in damanas entire tenure, he has never had good high school recruiting (compartive to te league he has played in)… he makes his living in the transfer market and juco ranks…things like this will not be a good evaluator for talent in the holgs era

I fully understand your point but as mentioned in another post by another user, we’re competing with North Texas, UTSA… for recruits.

With that said, recruiting needs to improve or we’re dead in the water.

1 Like

Based upon our recruiting history we’re playing about the level that we should be expected to play. Some folks on here seem nearly delusional.

If you read some of the comments here, you would have to think that UH is consistently recruiting at a Top 25 national level rather than down at a ~ #75 level. It is what it is. Hope Dana can build it back up.

2 Likes

Dana was losing out to aac teams in recruiting, when he was in WVU on years WVU was in the national title conversation… WVU lived in the juco market and the transfer market…i noted this before that dana averaged 8th out of 10 in the big 12 in recruiting, but was around 4th in success
how we do in the transfer market and juco market will tell the real story

Here’s a question you have to defend if you believe Dana is the answer:

We had one of the best offenses in the country in 2018. We have since lost five regular contributors from that offense in the last two years: King, Noble, Lark, Josh Jones, and Patrick Carr. We’ve had two years to replace that talent, including two years of development for the most prominent skill position players on the offense. Why, then, has our offense been so much noticeably worse?

I do very well, yes sir like it was yesterday.

Cary, Thank you for your financial support to our UH! I agree with you in your view of Dana but I’m biting my tongue. It’s a very hot and lively topic! :crazy_face: have a great day!

2 Likes

That is on coaching…the recruiting that is.

recruting context…we play in a g5 conference, most of our opponents are g5…
you get ranked based on wins,
the top g5 normally ranks around 55-60- the average g5 is about 100 (like 80ish for the aac)…

we are not playing at “the level” we should be at, we get ranked by how we beat teams that are on our schedule…boise is top 25 every year, and the recruiting history backs that, they rank in the 70s yearly for recruiting, the average mwc is in the 100s…here 70 trumps the 100s that they play weak in and weak out

By season three, this team must be competing for the conference championship or Dana will be in trouble with Khator and Uncle Tillman. Gotta give him this year as a grace year and the covid stuff as well. I want to win now, but it clearly seem as though Dana’s system is flawed or it is a combination of needing faster receivers, playing better defense. Something was off big-time yesterday. I think it was the coaching.

2 Likes

I hope you’re kidding about the 2018 UH FB team. I was up in Dallas to see it all begin to fall apart and the wheels come off of the Kendall Briles led offense.

Starting with that embarrassing SMU game loss - the 2018 UH team finished up the season on a 1-4 run and lost games by an average score of 34-48.

By contrast, this year’s UH team is on a 2-2 run with an average score of 33-34.

3 Likes

Post by DDkately - “By season three, this team must be competing for the conference championship or Dana will be in trouble with Khator and Uncle Tillman.”

I agree with Derrick - We have to compete or a change will happen. Just sad in the drop off our team. The way we played against UCF we are in the bottom half of AAC. Dana get’s a pass this year due to COVID.

1 Like

The part that bothers me is being undisciplined every game. Seems the Coogs have had more personal foul penalties in 4 games this year than combined in prev 2-3 yrs. The other part that hasn’t developed is on offense…which Dana totally controls is there is No identity on Offensive side of ball. Are they running team , passing team? Be nice if they get where Cincy is…Very Balanced! Ridder the QB can do it all…

Ok I’m looking for better days for Coog Football!
I’m on to my Sunday-- Bill Belichek.

3 Likes

The solution: Dana needs to upgrade his game. Time to switch to Monster.

3 Likes

Same here Cary.

1 Like

Dana needs to give Bryson Smith a chance at QB.

2 Likes

Reportedly Bryson Smith does not want to play QB at UH. It’s been said that he wants to develop the skills needed to become an NFL WR.

4 Likes

That’s not true. He came to UH to play QB. what a waste of talent.

4 Likes