Divisions are gone starting next season

We don’t have much in the way of natural rivals, but we do want UCF and USF to play every year. To be honest, I’m not sure who else. According to Wikipedia, UCF also does with ECU, SMU with Navy, us with SMU, and us with Tulsa (which we are apparently not too concerned about).

Seems to me one permanent rival would be enough. Not that it matters a great deal since we’re playing all but two teams every year. It’s not like with the divisions where we play the “out” teams irregularly.

Do you guys have an opinion on going to 9 conf games vs 8?

I prefer more OOC games not less.

2 Likes

I’ve never seen SMU as a rival, even in SWC days.

I think they suck in general !!

In the AAC, I see Memphis and UCF more as rivals.

UH is more of a blue collar working person’s university, whereas, SMU is where the wealthy send their kids until they mature (about age 35) and go to work in Daddy’s company !!

4 Likes

The SMU rivalry does seem forced. They just keep following us from conference to conference.

3 Likes

Yep SMU does seem artificial. I honestly don’t think there is really a rivalry between Houston and Dallas anymore. Do I care about the Cowboys? Nope. Do I care when the Rockets play the Mavericks? Nope, I care when they play the Spurs. Do I care about the Rangers? Not anymore than I care about the Angels.

Houston sports teams don’t really have rivals like they did in the day with the Steelers, Dodgers and Lakers.

Even the Titans, which should generate some emotion, doesn’t.

2 Likes

I wonder what happens if the waiver isn’t approved. I could see 3 options:

1. Expand and add 1 or more schools

2. Retraction: boot Tulsa, ECU, or allow Navy to leave. Play 9 game round-robin schedule.

3. Play a 10 game round-robin schedule. This may actually be a good idea if the P5’s implement a talked-about 10 game P5 requirement and there aren’t enough good games that can be scheduled. As bad as it might seem to play more AAC games, it would be better than having to play more games against FCS, Sun Belt, or CUSA teams.

I sort of like the latter…think it would allow more rivalries as we’d see every school every year. Take USF for example, we don’t have a long history with them prior to the AAC and don’t have many memorable contests with them outside of the last couple of years in football (the other sports are even worse). Sort of doesn’t feel that we’re in the same conference at times…would probably change if they were on the schedule annually.

However, I’m guessing we’d add someone as we have too many schools that won’t be willing to give up their buy-games and retraction wouldn’t be a realistic option either unless someone willingly left.

2 Likes

I would rather play a round robin AAC schedule and eliminate the FCS game we normally play.

2 Likes

I heard we would no longer schedule FCS teams, but we play one each year.

If they don’t grant us a waiver we will almost certainly add somebody. We’re not going to kick anybody out and we don’t want to play 10 (or even 9) conference games in this conference.

1 Like

I would much prefer to call Navy a rival than anyone in our conference. They are the only insitition with any substantive football history. The only opponent with historical gravitas…and they bouy SOS.

1 Like

Only if they stop coaching the illegal chop blocks !!

1 Like

Having to play SMU and Tulane every year is part of what kills our SOS.

Blame that on previous ADs that didn’t do a good job of prioritizing scheduling. They waited too long to fill these past two seasons and didn’t set up some other series correctly.

This should be the last FCS for awhile as our schedule is full of only FBS teams for the next 4 years.

1 Like