Donovan Mutin status - amongst other topics

I suppose it depends. My son had excellent grades and could not get into med school. He managed to get into PA school but he was quite lucky that many of the other applicants didnt read the fine print and missed some deadlines. He was quite qualified as he was a corpsman at Wofford Hall for 4 years, rode an ambulance as an EMT while going to classes to get his undergrad. Had he been anything other than “caucasian” it would have been a much easier road.

As far as anything else being easier because one is white? Well, you must be remembering the 50’s or else you have forgotten them.

3 Likes

My wife is from Nicaragua and I’m gringo. When our daughter begins applying to universities next year she will definitely put hispanic on her applications instead of Caucasian.

5 Likes

Hispanics are Caucasians.

Their Ancestors are from Spain.

I worked for an engineering company. If you have ever been in one of the many engineering offices around town you will see it looks like a UN office. At that particular site, about half of our guys were of some ethnicity other than Anglo. Black, Hispanic, Indian, Native American (only one), Asian, Middle Eastern, you name it.

1 Like

When people talk about white privilege, they dont mean that white people have it easy or didnt work for anything.

You were alive during the civil rights era. You weren’t barred from any places, restaurants or schools because of your skin color. You didnt have to use a bad water fountain nor were you banned from the city pool. Stuff like that is what people are referring to when they talk about White people never having to suffer from.

3 Likes

Another example I can give is that my grandparents graduated high school in 1957 and were decent students. They would not have been admitted into UH in 1957 because they were Black. No other reason.

Yeah, I understand how things were in the 50’s. But things have obviously changed for the better.

4 Likes

I used to tell my kids this is the kind of stuff that divides and is used as an excuse for lack of achievement.

None of the folks I grew up with had it easier than me. black , white or Mexican. We were all broke and had to figure out how to get out of the hole we were in.

6 Likes

The races are caucasoid, mongoloid and negroid.

Mexicans are white, native or a blend. Just info dumping.

Wow I completely missed this happening… Ave no one told me so I could come in lobbing bombs too

1 Like

agree

Somewhat. Lot of statistics out there demonstrating that systemic racism remains a problem.

1 Like

And the country will be better if we teach our children that if you are white and successful you only achieved your success because of the color of your skin and if you are black and not successful your failures are justified again by the color of your skin.

I think the only systemic anything in the US is stupidity.

5 Likes

Not what the statistics show. Amazing how hard it is for some to simply understand that racism is a problem in this country, especially after what we have seen the past few years.

2 Likes

Who wants to teach that? Certainly doesn’t happen at any school of which I’m aware.

3 Likes

UNLESS you are a Hispanic like David Ortiz (Black of African descent), Former Peruvian President Alberto Fujimori (Asian), most Mexicans (who are a racial mix of Caucasian and Native Mexican), or former Cuban dictator Fulgencio Batista (mixed Caucasian, Black African, Native Cuban and Asian).

Of course there are completely Caucasian Hispanics, like Queen Leticia of Spain.

What does that tell you? Simple: it tells you that Hispanic is NOT a race.

It’s an ethno-linguistic category.

Hispanics may be members of any race, or be multi-racial.

It all depends.

2 Likes

Johnny,

Native Americans are often thought of as a separate race from Asians/Mongoloids mostly due to differences from Asians in blood group frequencies (esp. Type O) and certain gene haplogroups. The genes linking the two groups, (Inuit and Aleut peoples whose genes are very much Siberian excepted) are ancient and split over 16000 years ago.

Pacific Islanders such as Polynesians, Micronesians and Melanesians are sometimes also thought of as 1-3 additional races.

Australian Aborigines are also sometimes thought of as a distinct race.

Racism is a problem worldwide and it is pretty much every race that participates. The US is not unique nor is racism only “owned” by one race in this country.

3 Likes

I have to assume there was a certain level of sarcasm involved in his post.