Doug Belk

Let’s keep our fingers crossed for number 2

Dare I say he could stay until CDH is done? Sort of a Kellen Sampson type situation?

1 Like

Brian Early is another one. Bankston talked highly about what he has learned from Early since transferring from Iowa State.

3 Likes

The defense was the only thing that kept us in it. when the offense gets 30 yards the defense eventuallly gets exhausted. You can’t remember the final score because it is misleading. The score was 24-21 despite 20 yards of offense in the second half until 2:05 remained in the game. if the offense had even had some TOP in second half TT wouldn’t have scored the last two TDs.

1 Like

If he is a patient man, who plays the long game. He stays here a while and dominates the Big 12 with his defense. Then he can get a high major head coaching gig.

1 Like

Dana would be smart to shift his P5 bump to Belk if he knows what is good for his job security.

Doug situation is nothing like the family Sampson situation.

1 Like

Tilman should invite Belk to the Golden Nugget for some fun time.

3 Likes

Jumping from defensive coordinator to a head coach is huge.

You have to start somewhere but there are a lot of unknowns.

We all saw what happened to Applewhite and his offensive coordinator jump to head coach.

People were talking about how great Todd Orlando would be as a head coach and eventually be a HC one day. He’s still a defensive coordinator and has never moved up to head coach.

2 Likes

After 5 games lets make him Head Coach in waiting. That always works out.

1 Like

Fair point. I only meant some kind of HC in waiting designation might allow us to keep him longer. And I emphasize might.

1 Like

Belk definitely is looking good. His culture is already being noticed.

I agree.

Very different jobs.

A good coordinator is no guarantee of a good head coach. It’s just one factor.

4 Likes

1st year DC usually don’t get HC jobs

The alphabet guys were so smoochy sweet to Belk I thought he was gonna get diabetes!! It didn’t escape me they didn’t mention CDH that much.

Dana let Cauthen go and elevated Belk. I think Belk is the football version of Kellen…our future HC in waiting

1 Like

Belk isn’t going to wait around for that, nor should he.

Holgorsen is probably going to be with us for as long as we want him to (I just don’t see him attracting UT/A&M-level interest, and I don’t think he leaves us for Mississippi State.) and fired head coaches are usually not replaced by assistants they brought to staff. It happens, but odds are bad enough it’s not worth sticking around for.

Doug Belk (Defensive coordinator, Houston Cougars)
“This would cost money but it would be a coup d’etat.”

Valid point .Look at Sarkisian at UT .
Go Coogs !

Money talks but I would think he wouldn’t want to be apart of that dumpster fire.

1 Like