Francis ain’t starting…

Day one starting line-up…

$head
Cryer
Dunn
Arceneaux
Roberts

4 Likes

$100 says that’s not the starting line up. I’d place the chances of Sampson starting a 4 guard lineup at approximately 0.00000000001%. He gives up WAY too much rebounding with that lineup.

2 Likes

I’d start:
Shead
Cryer
Sharp
Roberts
Francis

Bench is deep too, IMO.

Coogs are going to be a tough matchup for every team in the Big12.

Looks like Kansas and Wichita State are going to renew their seasonal ooc games

(2) Big 12 freshmen made the U19 national team

*Eric Dailey Jr - Oklahoma St

*Omaha Biliew - Iowa State

2 Likes

The Final Update

Houston

6’1 Jamal Shead (10.5 PPG)
6’1 LJ Cryer (15 PPG at Baylor)
6’5 Damian Dunn (15.4 PPG at Temple)
6’7 J’Wan Roberts (10.0 PPG)
6’8 Ja’Vier Francis (4.3 PPG)

Kansas

6’1 Dajuan Harris Jr. (8.9 PPG)
6’4 Nicolas Timberlake (17.7 PPG at Towson)
6’6 Kevin McCullar (10.7 PPG)
6’7 K.J. Adams (10.6 PPG)
7’1 Hunter Dickinson (18.5 PPG at Michigan)

note: You have to list KJ adams as the starter (was a starter last year) but i think Parker Braun will eventually jump him because there needs to be better spacing

Texas

6’0 Tyrese Hunter (10.3 PPG)
6’0 Max Abmas (21.9 PPG ar ORU)
6’8 Dillon Mitchell (4.3 PPG)
6’9 Dylan Disu (8.8 PPG)
6’11 Kadin Shedrick (6.2 PPG at Virginia)

note: this is the best 5, obviously mitchell at the 3 is problematic, note texas still has 4 open ships…

Baylor

6’5 Langston Love (6.3 PPG)
*6’2 RayJ Dennis (19.5 PPG at Toledo)
6’5 Ja’Kobe Walter (No. 14 in ESPN 100)
6’7 Jalen Bridges (10.3 PPG)
6’8 Jonathan Tchamwa Tchatchoua (8.4 PPG in 22’) - battled injury last year

Kansas St.

5’11 Tylor Perry (17.3 PPG at UNT)
6’3 R.J. Jones (No. 50 in ESPN 100)
6’3 Cam Carter (6.5 PPG)
*6’7 Arthur Kaluma (11.8 PPG at Creighton)
6’10 Nae’Qwan Tomlin (10.4 PPG)

Note: Kstate still has 3 open ships

TCU

6’1 Jameer Nelson, Jr. (20.6 PPG at Delaware)
6’3 Avery Anderson III (11.1 PPG at Ok St.)
*6’6 Chuck O’Bannon Jr (7.7 PPG)
6’7 Emanuel Miller (12.3 PPG)
6’9 Essam Mostafa (12.2 PPG at CCU)

note: Udeh has a case to start at the 5, but im leaning experience. really deep team, 4 on bench have a case to start

Iowa st

6’3 Jackson Paveletzke (15.1 PPG at Wofford)
6’4 Keshon Gilbert (11.4 PPG at UNLV)
6’5 Curtis Jones (15 PPG at Buffalo)
6’8 Omaha Biliew (No. 10 in ESPN 100)
6’10 Robert Jones (5.7 PPG)

Oklahoma st

6’1 John-Michael Wright (9.8 PPG)
6’6 Bryce Thompson (11.8 PPG)
6’6 Eric Dailey (No. 50 in ESPN 100)
6’9 Brandon Garrison (No. 30 in ESPN 100)
6’11 Mike Marsh (10.5 PPG at Jacksonville st)

WVU

6’3 Kerr Kriisa (9.9 PPG at Arizona)
6’5 Raequan Battle (17.7 PPG at Montana state)
6’5 Jose Perez (18.9 PPG at Manhattan in 22- waiver denied)
6’9 Tre Mitchell (11.7 PPG)
6’10 Jesse Edwards (14.5 PPG at Syracuse)

Note: roster could potentially implode if coach is fired… really deep, multiple bench players have a case to start

Texas Tech

6’2 Richard Isaacs (11.5 PPG)
6’3 Chance McMillian (10.3 PPG at Grand Canyon)
6’6 Darrion Williams (7.6 PPG at Nevada)
6’7 KyeRon Lindsay (6.2 PPG at Goergia)
7’0 Warren Washington (9.2 PPG at Arizona st)

note: weakest “on-paper” roster in the league, but new coach is known for winning with less talent

Cincinnati

6’0 DaVeon Thomas (No.4 in Juco 100)
6’3 C.J. Fredrick (6.1 PPG at Kentucky)
6’7 Simas Lukosius (11.6 PPG at Butler)
6’11 Viktor Lakhin (11.6 PPG)
*6’11 Jamille Reynolds OR 6’11 Aziz Bandaogo (10 PPG at Temple/UVU - whoever gets a waiver)

note: multiple players needing waiver. really unorthodox roster. rotation/starters will be a mystery with the roster until the season starts

UCF

6’1 Darius Johnson (10.0 PPG)
6’4 Ithiel Horton (12.3 PPG)
6’7 Jaykwon Walton (13.9 PPG at Wichita) - needs waiver
6’8 C.J. Walker (8.3 PPG in 2022- med redshirt)
*7’0 Ibrahima Diallo (6.0 PPG at San Jose St)

note: replace walton with shemarri allen (17ppg at UMKC) will be projected last, but an underrated roster, especially if they can get the waivers they need

BYU

6’0 Ques Glover (14.7 PPG at Samford)
6’5 Spencer Johnson (11.1 PPG)
6’4 Dawson Baker (15.3 PPG at UCI)
6’6 Fousseyni Traore (12.9 PPG)
6’11 Aly Khalifa (11.7 PPG at Charlotte)

note: surprisingly deep team, hard to make some choices at starter

Oklahoma

6’2 Javian McCollum (15.9 PPG at Sienna)
6’4 Le’Tre Darthard (13.8 PPG at UVU)
6’6 Rivaldo Soares (7.2 PPG at Oregon)
*6’7 Jalon Moore (7.2 PPG at GTech)
6’9 John Hugley IV (14.8 PPG at Pitt in 22)

overall thoughts: a few teams still need a lot of players, most notably kstate and texas. there just isnt anyone of note left in the portal. there are probably only 2 starter quality portal guys left. outside of landing those 2, international prospect, and late entry grd transfers the lineups are pretty set…(though i think texas has to come up with something)…obviously WVU’s situation could open up some players

3 Likes

Texas Tech

With the late additions of Devan Cambridge & Joe Toussaint. I think Tech is definitely top 8 good in the Big 12. Meaning tournament team.

Could be right behind Kansas, Houston, Baylor though.

1.Pop Issacs
2.Joe Toussaint
3.Darrion Willaims
4.Devan Cambridge
5.Warren Washington

Bench:
6.Lamar Washington
7.Robert Jennings
8.KyeRon Lindsay
9.Chance McMillian
10.Kerwin Walton
11.D’Maurian Williams

1 Like

I don’t pay much attention to basketball this time of year, but do we have any size on the bench? Sampson has done well with small teams, but I am afraid lack of size will catch up to us in the Big 12.

@CivilCoog Roberts (6’7") and Francis (6’8") will start

Freshmen Ced Lath (6’9") and Jacob McFarland (6’11) will be options off the bench

As well as Freshmen Jojo Tugler (6’7"). That’s our size. Hopefully the overseas trip will get guys up to speed sooner

1 Like

Our bench guards will have solid size as well. Size should be less of an issue for this team compared to last year imo.

They all freshman and very inexperienced!!! I think someone brought up a good point how freshman bigs usually don’t do too well as true freshman and in Lath’s case very RAW in the Big12.

Hopefully they’ll be the exception because coach didn’t bring anymore experience big men from the portal when they were quite the options.

Even Francis will have to prove he can stay on the court and not get in early foul trouble often like he’s done in the past.

I expect coach to use a lot of small lineups with TA playing the 4.

2 Likes

I wonder if coach samp got the short end of the linking Coogs collective even though he’s the one that’s been putting the most work. Because we’ve gotten a couple of 4 star recruits in football and they’re using more money for them rather than the basketball team.

TF said we wouldn’t lose anyone over NIL but idk what he meant by that, I haven’t seen anything to tell me we’re not.

Jon Rothstein preseason rankings:

#1.Kansas

#12.Houston

#17.Texas

#22.Baylor

#31.TCU

#34.Kansas St

#39.Texas Tech

#41.Iowa St

Big 12 - 8 teams in his top 45
BIG 10 - 7 teams
Big East - 7 teams
SEC - 7 teams
ACC - 4 teams
PAC 12 - 6 teams

They don’t want to hear about small ball… I might have mentioned it before… I can’t wait to see us run a fast paced offense next season!

1 Like

I think coach is going to be trying something a bit different on offense.

He’s going to run more w/ the depth he has at guard and wings!

I think this team will shoot at a pretty good clip.

I’m excited on the newcomers like Tugler and McFarland. They’ll get quite the run like Walker and Sharp got last season.

4 Likes

Everyone was disappointed, myself included, when UH did not sign a 5 from the TP, but I am coming around to the team we have. Posters talk about UH’s disadvantage when we play a productive center, but by the same token, UH presents a matchup problem for those teams with speed, passing and shooting ability. If UH has a good shooting day and not turn the ball over, they can beat anyone in the country.

2 Likes

Maybe if our bigs could spread the floor

1 Like

We have a good team. We could be contenders with a quality stretch 4. Bringing one in is easier said than done. It doesn’t seem as if coach was working hard to get one though. Maybe he was but we didn’t see our school linked with as many kids as other wana-be contenders.

Missing out on Lofton possibly cost us a natty last year - that and Shead and Sasser not 100%.

I do think some combo of Roberts, Francis, TA and Tugler can be effective in the post - but not natty good

1 Like

All a team needs to be is a contender and make it past the first weekend. After that anything can happen and there are too many unknowns in the future to say Yea or Nea.
One team I didn’t feel was Final 4 was the one who was. Another I certainly didn’t was 21-22 after losing two guards and they were an eyelash away from making it again.

2 Likes

Coach likes the challenge, he doesn’t want to put together that sure NC team