Epitome of a bad win

I remember a lot of people yesterday saying that ECU was much improved and on the upswing…

Oh, by the by we now lead the ECU series by the overwhelming 8-7.

4 Likes

The worst, ugliest, won by the skin of your teeth win is still better than the most beautifully played, artistic loss. Was it a satisfying, make you feel great win? No. But, a win is a win. They got punched in the face and still found a way to win. I don’t think Cincinnati is going to give back their win yesterday.

East Carolina lost by 14 to Appalachian State who just beat Coastal Carolina. they lost to South Carolina by 3 and Central Florida by 4. Looking at the remainder of their schedule, 8-4 is not out of the question for them. They also had two weeks to prepare for us. They’re not a great team, but they’re not a terrible team either.

Face it, since we announced we’re going to the Big XII, we’re a circled game on everyone’s schedule now. We are going to get their best efforts.

Did Tune look great last night? No. But Patrick Mahomes looked pretty bad in the Super Bowl. Alot of QB’s don’t look very good when they’re running for their lives. That’s part of what made Greg Ward and D’eriq King look so good, they could escape when the line wasn’t protecting them.

Enjoy the win and get ready for SMU

11 Likes

Didn’t realize they had two weeks to prepare . They looked good and crisp on defense . ECU could contend for the conference next season. Believe it or not this is the team that could trip Cincinnati. Called it.

I hope so.

“Bad win”=Oxymoron

1 Like

Great Points!

One thing I will add to your point was last night, Clayton was getting sacked because ECU defense was smart with how they were using their blitzes. They were really creating pressure and wreaking havoc on our O-line. There were many times, I thought, Clayton would run out too soon(instead of holding in the pocket) or make a bad pass based on that the defensive pressure, but he didn’t, granted a couple of passes he was lucky the defense didn’t get to the right place in time for the pick, including the inception called back on the ECU penalty.

No lie, a 5 hour rain delay is going to create some lethargy and it can take some people longer to get past it than others. Last night’s game tested the maturity level of our team and when it really mattered, our guys pulled through. Hopefully, our guys can really review the film and sort out the issues they saw from the ECU game and prepare for SMU with a renewed vigor and determination.

Go Coogs!

1 Like

I think ECU looking “good” on defense was mostly a function of our offense (and particularly the line) having a really bad game. When the OL looked even a little bit competent, we were making plays on offense. Both offenses last night played pretty bad games – Ahlers in particular was missing a lot of open throws that would have had this board calling for him to be exiled if he’d been playing for us. Some of that was pressure from the defense, sure, but not all of it.

That said, I’m not knocking the team for it – playing a game after a 5-hour weather delay in a functionally empty stadium is a tough thing to do, and they did just enough to win it. ECU is still a big question mark, but I think there’s a decent chance that Holgo just got his first win against a team that’ll finish with a winning record.

What was that wildcat with Tune split out wide?

I might have to ask that question at the Coach’s Show.

The bigger question is why did he try it a second time after it failed the first time, especially with our OL issues.

Not a dana hater but he seems to have a stubborn streak that bites him in the arse - at least once a game

The weird stuff looks weirder when it doesn’t work.

1 Like

Another one to ask is the play calling to end the half. There didn’t seem to be any sense of urgency to tack on a few points that may have given the team more breathing room. Wanna say he folded the half with 2 TO’s available.

1 Like

I will bet that after we beat SMU (and we will) there will be more complaints about:

• the way we won,
  • what the coach did or did not do,
  • what the quarterback did or did not do,
  • gee I miss Robertson Stadium and the grit of its failing infrastructure falling around me,
  • the stadium sponsors should change the name of their enterprise to something that does not have ECU in it,
  • tailgates should not be commercial and everyone should work for free,
  • there was nowhere to breast feed my teenage son,
  • not enough vegan items on the menu,
  • nachos without enough cheese,
  • we should have won by more than we did,
  • how come we don’t play Notre Dame or Alabama,
  • the ring came off my pudding can…
  • there are too many leaves on these trees,
  • where are the flag boys in net stockings,
  • I wish we’d put grand pianos on the field again; Chopin only sounds good if played at the 40 yard line…

Etc.

13 Likes

Great thing about sports and football especially in America everyone fan who knows the game intimately, everyone thinks their a head coach and knows better. That’s why it’s tough to be a HC. More to being a coach than X’s and O’s. Like in any organization of human endeavor you have to be a very keen observer and knower of your personnel capabilities.

1 Like

There is no such thing as a “good loss”.

Great Overtime by our guys

2 Likes

There is no such thing as a bad win in my book. All wins are good.

3 Likes

I agree. Maybe an ugly win, but still a good win.

2 Likes

Like I said, it reminded me of the Tulsa game in 2008. The Golden Hurricane were 4-4, we were 7-1, and nobody expected that one to come down to an onside kick recovery and a 51 yard field goal on the last play of the game by Matt Hogan to win, but in the end, we won, and that was all that mattered.

1 Like

Not only that, but it’s one of our most memorable recent wins.

Now put that in your pipe and smoke it. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

It’s college football. Some of y’all act like y’all just started watching college football last week. It’s hard as hell to get 18-23 year old college students to buy in and play their hearts out every game. We are lucky we have a team that does that. We might not be the most talented but you can’t question the effort. We are 6-1 on a 6 game winning streak with a chance next week to submit ourselves at the top of the conference. Smu won a game off a lucky Hail Mary to a 2-4 team, the irony behind it is, if smu plays like they did against navy and LA tech against us, than we will win that game comfortably.

1 Like