ESPN: Big 12 looking at possibility of adding UCF, BYU, Houston, and Cincinnati, including adding 2 teams even if UT and OU stay

Slehcoog
I’m Tom

1h

The AAC would stack extremely well over a B12 sans TX/OU from top to bottom. Even if they added UH and another school; AAC > B12.

AAC is like the minor leagues in college football :football: let’s not kid ourselves. Why you think this side of the message board hasn’t been that active until today. Well that and we haven’t been winning in a long time lol

That and the SEC is the best football conf. by a mile. Recruits know that.

That’s why I say the best alternative is to break up both conferences and build a new one between them with BYU and Boise. That’s better than the PAC already in fb and bb.

Correct. I doubt that Boise has the academic credentials for a PAC invite.

Also, it seems it could come down to whether or not the top power schools in the PAC (USC, UCLA, Oregon, etc.) are interested in moving to the B1G for lots more $$$ or whether they decide to stay in the PAC and add some Texas-centric, central time zone schools like UH, Texas Tech & Oklahoma State.

In that land of fruits & nuts, you just never know what the left coast folks will choose to do. Who knows, maybe they just decide to add futbol instead.

Should have never left, made zero sense.

Why TT and not TCU?

If invited we join the Big12 hopefully as a 4 pack with UH, BYU, UC and either UCF/UM

Then using our increased payout and exposure in the Big 12 we prepare for one of the 3 following scenarios in 2025

A) Ths Big 12 stays together and gets a new TV contract. It will not be as lucrative as the last sans UT/OU but it will be more lucrative than the AAC deal.

B) The PAC raids the Big12 and since we are now a current member of the Big12, we have a better shot of getting picked up than if we remained in the G5 AAC. Say they add UH + TT + OS + IS or another option.

C) The Big12 implodes after 2025 due to a number of scenarios but when the dust clears…we are not picked up by a now P4. If the AAC will take us back- we head there. Maybe they will understand. If not, we join the MWC.

These are the 3 most realistic scenarios involved with accepting a Big12 invitation. We need to do our due diligence in assuming any of these 3 options could happen in 2025.

4 Likes

Two reasons:

1. Tech actually has more alumni in DFW, IIRC

2. TCU isn’t a Research I university, and that’s very important to the Pac.

TCU is a religious institution.

So?

K State is R1 so K State OSU TT and UH to PAC

The PAC-12 has never been friendly to religious schools.

That’s why BYU will always get their cold shoulder.

Baylor and TCU will both have issues in that regard, especially Baylor.

Also, neither is R1. That’s TWO slams against them!

Not exactly correct. It wasn’t so much the fact that BYU is a religious school as it was that they wouldn’t concede to playing on Sundays. It created a scheduling issue the PAC didn’t want to deal with in an all-sports scenario.

I doubt the PAC-12 would embrace schools with Baylor and BYU’s policies on homosexual behavior.

2 Likes

Yup. It has everything to do with BYU and their religious beliefs.

1 Like

BYU is not going to change any of its restrictive religious policies and therefore never get an invite from the Pac-12.

When the Big 12 faked their conference expansion in 2016, a lot of Big 12 students voiced their opinions against BYU joining because of some of those policies.

1 Like

I want some legit data to back up your claim. Our top 4 match up with the remaining 8 fairly well, but are you saying Tulane is better than TCU? Tulsa better than Iowa St? ECU better than Kansas St? Temple better than WVU? The tv ratings, attendance, donor support, facilities, public perception, and any metric I can think of say the leftover 8 are better top to bottom than the AAC. In 2019, Tulsa’s highest announced attendance was 17k.

From ESPN: Payouts to Pac-12 member schools rose 5 percent to $31.3 million each as conference distributions included money held back from Rose Bowl payments in the previous two years.

Question: What schools in the AAC or Big 12 add $31M in value to the PAC 12? Not potential, not some non-metric like “everyone will want to watch X vs Z,” as a rationale.

We can’t control anything other than if we accept an invite to the Big 12 or stay in the AAC. That is it. I say accept it because even if some Big 12 members get a soft landing (Kansas?), any replacements will be of better quality than the replacements the AAC will need to make.

If one more school leaves theb12 it ceases to exist as a conference.

None of them. That is why I don’t see the PAC expanding to take any of the schools.

The Big 12 has some assets, how those schools will perform once their TV revenue is cut will be interesting to watch.

1 Like