ESPN initial offer $24.5 million

Agree, 92010. That is timeline we are looking at…After what Warren said yesterday, 4 corner schools must be shaking their heads about future of PAC 12… They just want some stability and security as well as more money. We should know by mid to late August…

WSU and OSU will probably give them whatever they want.

The corner schools would have to be very very committed to the Pac-12 to do it if they have a Big 12 invite.

Or the math of OU and UT leaving plus diluting the conference by adding those 4 PAC schools means an equal, or lower, payout by espn than is being offered to the pac

It wont be lower…We have 2 Big 12 ADs say it will be between 35-40 million right now…and thats without new PAC members…ESPN PAC deal is only for 32 mil and that is only if all 10 schools stay for 12 years…That will never happen.You seriously think Oregon and WASH and Stanford sign for 12 years?? After what Big 10 commish Warren said?? NO WAY! …Plus our new members from PAC bring huge new markets like Phoenix and Denver. Big 12 far better deal and way more stability than a dying PAC.

The big 12 commissioner stated it would be significantly less without ou and ut

Did he ever say this apart from last year when he was trying to get the state legislature to stop UT from leaving the Big 12?

1 Like

I think when that reference was made, it was about the time he was talking about suing ESPN for interference. At that point, he needed them to seem as valuable as possible.

That makes me think the absolute ceiling will be 35 million. That number is either step one in the future negotiations or random numbers they are throwing out because they know its bigger than what the PAC will get offered.

Even if the Pac-12 is worth more (I consider there to be a non-zero possibility), several issues:

1. The instability risks are substantial. In my view it should require a lot of money to accept that risk.
  2. If there is a differential in overall value, that is likely to be offset by taking a reduced share.
  3. Unlikely that the corner schools see themselves as dragging down either conference, even if it were true.
  4. If they did drag down the Big 12 that much, they wouldn’t have an invite. Especially given that it is potentially not even needed to destabilize the Pac-12.
  5. If our baseline value is substantially less than. $24.5 then I believe we are not expanding with anyone that doesn’t affirmatively and unambiguously add value

All indications are that if the Pac-12 worth is not worth substantially worth more than the Big 12 (maybe worth less. Maybe a lot less). So it’s geography and academics vs stability (plus maybe exposure)

https://twitter.com/365sportsYT/status/1552085106331885574?t=2IZzNauWobooZL-kefC8nQ&s=19

Based on these comments, I don’t thk 42+ mil given out for 21/22 includes additional payouts for Tourneys, CFP etc. Little confusing.

3 Likes

It’s incredibly frustrating how many people are not making that distinction.

But I think he meant total payout and was just unclear about it.

1 Like

Now I see where ESPN is spending all that extra money it is saving from low-balling the PAC:

2 Likes

Every time I see a reference to Jai Lai I think of two things:

Mad Men and the movie Black Mass.

BTW - if you have not seen Black Mass, it is Johnny Depp at his finest. He plays Whitey Bulger to a tee.

3 Likes

Went once in Newport, Rhode Island when I went to school in Providence before transferring to UH.

Seems like a sport where there can be lots of funny business.

2 Likes

Think I read once basically every jai alai game in Miami is gambling related funny business

1 Like

We will know around august 4th what the pac will get.

1 Like

Went to see Jai Alai matches once in Mexico City.

Interesting.

There is optional gambling, which actually slows the sport down, because people stop to bet on each point.

1 Like

The media rights revenue from the 42.6 million was 28 million. P5 conferences get a lot from the CFP and NCAA Tournament. So he is hoping the Big 12 will hold the line on TV money, possibly make a little more since it’s been 10 years since the last deal, and continue to profit from the CFP.

1 Like