ESPN initial offer $24.5 million

They literally have no leverage. And it’s all Oregon’s and Washington’s fault for making it obvious they wanted in BIG.

I don’t know. The media rights payout for the Big 12 with Texas and Oklahoma for fiscal year 2021 was 28 million. A third of the total payout came from the CFP, NCAA Tournament, etc. I’m not sure why people are thinking the Big 12 without UT and OU will get some 40 million for media rights, which would be more than a 40% increase.

Where do you get 32? It’s 12 years not 10….it’s only 25M and IMO it’s worse because it’s another six years.

It’s 320 a year divided by 10 schools a year.

Okay…… I’ll put on my dunce cap right now and show myself the door.

8 Likes

At least MHver3 combs the internet so I don’t have to. I only read Coogfans or my ESPN headline feed.

If I had time to comb the internet I could be: SHver4

5 Likes

Sam, i read the story where it says 28 million…I also read another story from different media source that said it was 35 million…So clearly there are contradicting reports…
My best source is from a Kansas State atletic dept media source, where they quote their AD as saying he think new Big 12 will get a contract for 35-40 million…I would trust the K state AD as best guess…

BIG12 payout for 2021/2022 Athletic year was around 425 mil distributed among 10 teams. So around 42 mil per team. Not sure where the 28 mil is coming from. This was just announced recently.

Edit: announcement was done on June 3. Record amount of 426 mil.

The 42.6 million was total payout. That includes about 15 million from the College Football Playoff, the NCAA Tournament, etc. I would LOVE for the Big 12 to get 35-40 million for media rights alone. We’ll see.

1 Like

Not sure of all the details Sam, just know they got 42 mil ea. The Football playoffs, CBB Tourney that’s all paid out over time, so yea I’m not sure the amt b4 the other payouts you mention.

1. Except that’s the average. All of these contracts are backloaded. It would be far less than that in the beginning.

2. I don’t think Oregon/Wash agree to an even split. The drastic split rumored would have Ore/Wash at an average of $53M per year, Stanford/Cal at $45M per year and the others at $21M per year. Clearly that won’t fly.

3. The question is if the unequal split is a lot more equal. Say OU/Wash at $40M, Stanford/Cal at $32M and the rest at $27M, would that be enough to keep the league together?

3 Likes

Very interesting:
Mack Rhodes asks where is the tipping point of strength in #s and maximum revenue ?
Vulnerable when 2 conf have 16. Do we feel much better at 14 or 16 ?

The fact that you are seriously analyzing the situation based on anything mhver says has me scratching my head.

You apparently are one of the sheep following his fairy tale realignment stories…

1 Like

If you’re Joe Duarte (JD) Cougar, spill the tea.

Otherwise what do you disagree with?

That’s the first thing he’s ever said that was true

Big12, it’s your move!
:wink:

How much you wanna bet Duck and Huskie balk at this deal….if I were them, I would go with the valuation side, make the small guys eat it, and cram them down…

More chaos.

If UO and UW don’t sign the GOR, the PAC120 teams are going to get less than $32M per year. It will probably be under $30M then both of them will want a higher percentage of the payout and leave whenever to the B10.

That’s exactly why the six good AAC teams did not want to sign a GOR, so they can leave when they wanted to although there is an exit fee.

1 Like

Oregon, UW, and any other PAC school waiting for the B1G invite before cutting a new deal is taking risks. Are any of the remaining PAC schools willing to give Oregon and UW more money without tying them to a huge buyout?

What would be ironic is Oregon and UW petitioning B1G for membership with permanently reduced shares.

We are reading all kinds of different scenarios. Which one is true? Which one is it that we want to believe? The only thing we know for sure is this:
The Pac-12 board of directors has authorized the conference to begin negotiations for its next media rights agreements, the group announced Tuesday July 5. The board reached the decision during a meeting on Tuesday morning.
So a month later we should know how this pans out.
We read $24.5M’s than more…It looks like to me the PAC is sending out these numbers to…get more while the negotiation is on going. This is all too common with agents trying to get a better deal for their client. The only thing that i believe is the first rumor. The four corners schools are indeed coming. They can’t announced anything right now and why should they? Can you imagine if another media outlet comes out of nowhere and decides to rescue the PAC12?
We just have to be a bit more patient. We ought to know right around Tuesday or Wednesday of next week. That is when the pressure cooker will start whistling.