ESPN Power Rankings just out UH Cougars#1

UH is across-the-board odds on favorite to ring on every betting site as of 20 Nov 2022

5 Likes

Damn

Is this real life

3 Likes

Because they were awake.

2 Likes

Remember fans, the last time we were favored to win it all was in Albuquerque.

2 Likes

The beauty of Vegas is that it’s a reflection of what the people think. The general college fanbase holds Houston in higher esteem than any other team. Media may follow soon enough

4 Likes

Vegas people no more than anyone else.

1 Like

keep in mind the money Mac bet may have moved lines all on their own.

8 Likes

dang very salient point. Mac’s bet totals must’ve been the heaviest amount on any single team, coupled with tons of savvy bettors realizing Houston looks the part as a favorite early on

1 Like

Exactly 40 years ago when UH was considered the best team in the country. Final Four is in Houston, Jim Nantz last year and is calling the Final Four
what other signs are their that show this is the year :thinking:

6 Likes

And last year after we beat AZ

I saw all but E play college ball (saw E but I was an infant). I agree with th exception that Jarace is as good as a Freshman as any of them except perhaps Birdsong.

1 Like

Comment of the year

Freshman Rob Williams could play a little

1 Like

I have to agree with my friend. E is the greatest cougar who ever lived but the rules prohibited freshman playing at the time. I have seen everyone come through the program since E and for my money, Birdsong was the most polished and poised. I told Birdsong his game reminded me of Walt “Clyde” Frazier of the NY Knicks and Birdsong told me Frazier was one of his idols.

Rob Williams was a completely different type of player. When Rob got going, he could completely dominate a game. Rob was flashy too. No look, behind the back passes, a real crowd pleaser. Rob’s style of play did not translate to the NBA and he got in the doghouse with Denver Coach Doug Moe, but no doubt he was a heck of a freshman.

Wasn’t as much style of play as it was his lack of discipline off the court

1 Like

Yes sir!

We will at least get a hint how good we are with a hostile road game to Oregon tonight.
I think we all know we have talent, and I think we all know we have one of the all time coaches, but what we don’t know is how this team is going to do under some kind of duress.
I am thinking we have more talent than Oregon, but it will all depend on how we play under adverse conditions on the road.
If we lose tonight, we shake it off and move on to the next game.
If we win tonight, we simply keep working harder and looking forward to the next game

4 Likes

Elvin, Birdsong, Clyde, Michael Young, and Rob Williams were all great freshman players here.
Of the bunch Elvin was not allowed to play varsity as a freshman
you could say the same about Melvin Bell, one of the most imposing players I ever saw in a Cougar uniform.
Mel Bell was 6-9, 240 pounds and could do it all. They called him “Savage” for a reason.
Unfortunately Bell suffered a terrible knee injury and was only a shell of his former self his last few years here. Had Bell been healthy I think we could have put up a better game against UCLA in the finals.
Jarace has a chance to be very, very good. Tonight will be a great test for him and the Cougars.
This team has terrific balance and time will tell how this team stacks up with other great Cougar teams. But I like this team and think we are going to take a few lumps along the way, but barring key injuries this bunch will be very exciting to watch in March

1 Like

Don’t forget Lou Dunbar. Could not play on Varsity his 1st year, but set all time Freshman record of 27.5 pts/game. Soph yr, avg 21 pts/game as a 6’9" guard shooting over 50% from the field. He was Magic before Magic!

3 Likes