Farewell To The AAC

This topic may not resonate with some of you.
I’m ecstatic to be going into the Big12. But I want to say Thank You to the American Athletic Conference and Mike Aresco.

Going from the SWC to C-USA was bitter with no sweet. Moving into the Big East was very briefly sweet. Then the Big East changed into the AAC (which felt more like C-USA than renewed power Big East football at first).

But Aresco took that challenge and made the AAC the SEC / B1G of G5 conferences. Aresco’s marketing and being proactive to make the AAC a better conference is similar to what Yormark is doing for Big12 today.

The AAC
• became the conference expected to deliver a G5 team to NY6 bowl game (which improved game experience, staff and coach hires, and recruiting).
• kept Cinncinnati, UCF, UH, Tulane, and Memphis relevant in the sports world.
• is the only G5 conference to provide new teams into the P5 and into the Big12 (which speaks volumes about the AAC and those teams)

The AAC was never responsible for whatever my disappointments in UH being brought down from SWC play. I wish all the teams that form the AAC the best and hope you continue the AAC legacy as the best G5 conference out there.

49 Likes

Good points. Without the AAC, we likely would not be headed to the B12.

14 Likes

AAC was great for us!

NY6 Bowl wins, Final Four Appearance, Baseball and Track success, great conference mates (except for UCONN) .

The only thing that stunk about it was the $$$ and G designation.

13 Likes

The AAC was a great conference for UH, better than CUSA.

18 Likes

Aresco did his best to maximize the value of the conference and AAC set the table for UH being invited to the B12. That deserves a thank you.

The ceiling is much higher now as are the rewards. UH’s leadership has put in place a system to get UH where it needs to be. Time, money, and patience is all that is needed.

6 Likes

Most people don’t realize this but UH in the AAC got a NY6 bowl win before UT, A&M, and Baylor.

Tech is the only P5 team from Texas without a NY6 bowl win.

23 Likes

I will miss hating Memphis I’m not gonna lie

11 Likes

Peace out girl scout, it’s been real. 2015 was fun.

3 Likes

I never hated the AAC. CDOA, on the other hand, was a quagmire. Horrible SOS and gruesome basketball conference.

2 Likes

Add UT to that list?

1 Like

Couldn’t have said it any better EJ.

WELL DONE!

1 Like

Man i wish I could relive the 2015-2016 years.

I was very lucky to be a Sophmore/Junior at UH those years. I’ll never forget the pre-games… oh man those were the days wooh

7 Likes

CUSA was watching my beloved Coogs on a stadium video feed online with a DSL connection in the otherworldly setting of an empty UTEP and UAB stadium without sound or any grounding and being pissed in a vacuum of corporeal reality. Surreal is the best descriptor I can think of. It always seemed like a bad dream even though there were many moments of glory.

AAC was a tremendous upgrade and I’m thankful and won’t tempt fate by offering any criticism. Nevertheless, it feels very satisfying to be back playing our Texas rivals and where we should have always been. Go Coogs.

7 Likes

As someone who hasnt lived in Houston since the day i graduated, the AAC was huge because we played on national TV every week starting then. Even in the last CUSA days, we weren’t on a national channel every week. Hard to be a fan if you can’t consistently watch your team.

11 Likes

Never forget your roots, never forget the path forged, never forget those along the way…never take where you are for granted.

The AAC was a great home and was the place where this school was able to grow and evolve to the next level. As others have said, wish nothing but the best for that conference and continued success as the best of the G5.

Except Memphis (lol)

Also, Rice has some big shoes to fill as the Houston rep in this conference

3 Likes

12 Likes

They always made it so easy. No wonder literally every major school in their region despises them.

This is creativity I am not used to with UH.

6 Likes

Happiness……is G5 in a rear view mirror!

6 Likes

The AAC is still gonna be the #6 conference, and they’ve still got great programs and will be on TV enough to stay very much relevant. Plenty of opportunity left for more power programs to emerge.

1 Like