Favorite Cougar Game?

I’m sure the Peach Bowl and the 2016 Oklahoma game are many people’s favorite game, and for good reason, but for me it was the 1987 game against UT where Johnny Jackson returned THREE interceptions for a TD and our Coogs came back from a huge deficit to beat the hated Longhorns. This game sparked a pretty dominant run that unfortunately not many were able to see because of a ban on TV and bowl appearances during many of those years. The good times finally came to an end against Miami in 1991 but it was fun while it lasted!

15 Likes

At Texas in ‘78. Both teams were ranked in the Top 10. UH won 10-7.

5 Likes

Enjoyed many “favorites”. Among them, OU in NRG ranks right up there with Louisville and other “recent” games. At my age, and having been subject to either Alzheimers, Covid or Diabetes (all claim to affect memory), all of the games from “back in the day” are now just a blur . . . . .

3 Likes

In no order some of my faves

2016 OU
2015 Peach Bowl
2006 CUSA Title Game vs USM
2009 Tech
2009 OSU
2015 AAC Title Game vs Temple
2015 Memphis

7 Likes

Good choices! I forgot about the Memphis game. The Pitt bowl game is another strong contender.

3 Likes

I didn’t put the Pitt game on because I was so cold and miserable I left early and missed the epic comeback.

2 Likes

Coogs at Osu 2009. What a game to witness live.

5 Likes

I’d vote for the Pitt game. Crazy incredible comeback. Totally representative of the team and university.

4 Likes

That was one of my favorites!

Saw it in person during high school.

Ushered in an exciting era, one characterized by dominance over UT!!!

60-40 BAYBEE!!!

7 Likes

2015 Memphis and 2016 Louisville. You just had to be there!!! I was lol.

5 Likes

Some of my favorites…

2009 northwestern state (my first game at Robertson)
2009 Texas tech (my favorite game)
2009 Tulsa (first game I followed online as it was happening)
2011 Rice (the rain was fun)
2011 Penn state (my first bowl game)
2014 UCF (even though we lost, it was a “morale victory”)
2014 Memphis (was there in person for Wards first start)
2014 Pitt (first time I wore my stormtrooper armor!)
2015 Memphis (great comeback, Postma had a chance to shine)
2015 Florida State (an amazing trip)
2016 OU (too bad it was at NRG :frowning: )
2016 Louisville (glad this wasn’t at NRG! 9 sacks?!?!)
2021 Rice (not sure why, but this game was enjoyable, I think it might have been the first time under Holgorsen we played a “complete” game)
2021 Grambling (just a real fun game, and glad our backup (Ike) got a chance to shine)

Hoping to add a 2022 game to this list

2 Likes

A lot of mine have already been mentioned. One that wasn’t a win, but a wild game to see in person, was against BYU in 2013 at NRG.

2 Likes

Hard to pick a favorite, probably have to go with 2016 OU, 2016 Louisville, or perhaps 2006 C-USA title game. I can however immediately tell you my least favorite game. 2010 vs UCLA at the Rose Bowl. I was still fairly young (high school days) and I was super stoked to see the Coogs kick some Bruin ass. We’d received tickets to the game from a friend of my dad’s who was a diehard UCLA fan. He talked so much trash in the lead up to the game but I just knew Case would come through and shut that old man up. It was so gut wrenching watching Case tear his ACL that night. That one may be my all time least favorite sporting event memory. Thank god Case got that 6th year, set everything right.

1 Like

Lots of favorites I suppose like the 1979 Cotton Bowl against Nebraska but the recent win against Auburn was special because it signaled we can play with the big boys again

1 Like

1990 versus Aggies!! Won game on last drive

6 Likes

1976 UT and aTm games
1978 aTm & Arkansas (we beat 4 top 10 teams that year
1979 season wins over aTm & Arkansas and 1980 Cotton Bowl win over Nebraska.
I could go on and on, there were so many like Case leading the comeback against La Tech, Ward against Pitt, etc. That’s why I have season tickets every year and wonder why so many others don’t.

You don’t have to be ranked and playing a ranked team to have an exciting game.

5 Likes

1968 UH 20 Evil Empire 20
Yeah the scoreboard says it was a tie but the teasips went to school that evening. They knew there was a new sheriff in town.

4 Likes

That Pitt game would be a favorite of mine even if UH had lost because of Farrow’s demolition of the the Pitt DB at the goal line. I think that score is what got us fired up to come back!

4 Likes

1988 UH 66 Texas 15 game. I remember saying “take me now Lord - it doesn’t get any better than this!”

7 Likes

That was great Larry, but in 1987 when we were down something like 34-14 and came back to win 60-40 was really exciting. The whorns thought they had that game salted away and were celebrating; but when we came back it was so sweet and they were soooo down.

6 Likes