Favorite Cougar Game?

For me, in order:

UH @ UT, Nov 1988 (I was there, student)

TAMU @ UH, Oct 1990 (I was there, student)

UH vs FSU, Dec 2015 Peach Bowl (wish I was there, watched it at BWW in Pasadena, CA - was in CA for the Rose Bowl).

UH vs Pitt, Jan 2015 Armed Forces Bowl (watched on TV and one of the best comebacks, period).

3 Likes

UH over Nebraska in that cotton bowl 17 to 14. It was when Nebraska was almost unbeatable with country ships and a long standing coach. Beating Texas 30 to zip and beating them in the late 80s was good but Neb was really good and we beat them on a national stage in a huge cotton bowl victory.

3 Likes

Thanks for posting the Michigan State game.
I didn’t know that any film of it even existed. I just got through watching it, and it brought back a lot of memories. I listened to it on the radio with Gene Elston on the call, and I think, Harry Kalas doing the color. Being a dumb kid listening, I didn’t know any better and expected the Cougars to win. It was a year or so later before I realized what a significant win it was.

3 Likes

Hi Coog63, I was at the MSU game. But sitting on the other side, as I lived in East Lansing at the time. All the people in green were stunned. After the 10-10 tie with Notre Dame at the end of the previous season, with Toby Smith starting on the defensive line, (Bubba’s younger brother) people were expecting MSU to have a huge season and return to the Rose Bowl. (Oh well) – But I was in Houston in 69, and still remember the fabulous game the Cougars played against Auburn in the Bluebonnet Bowl. Remember Auburn’s fumble on the opening kickoff. Wow!

Thanks for showing that. I had just gotten out of the Army and moved to Chicago for something different (I grew up in Texas). Chicago was and is all about the BIG-10. I didn’t even know that there was a U of Houston at the time but this game made me a fan. The city of Chicago was in shock that this happened to a Big-10 team, let alone Michigan State.

4 Likes

Probably most underrated game on these types of lists, the 2014/15 Pitt Armed Forces Bowl. 25 point 4th quarter come back.

7 Likes

Thanks for that Jim. I was in the Navy at the time and wasn’t a Coog fan yet, but I remember how shocked everyone was when that score came in.

Johnny Jackson set an NCAA record with three pick sixes. Randy Thornton added one as well. I was in the junior Cougar club and our seats were right above the UH tunnel onto the field. That team was fired up. UT fumbled the opening kickoff and we scored first. I didn’t have a voice after the game. I was a freshman in high school and couldn’t wait to go to school Monday wearing my Cougar shirt. Had a teacher that wanted me to go wait in the library because she was so upset her beloved whorns lost. Of course she didn’t make me but it was fun.

2 Likes

The next one.

1 Like

Being cold and miserable only added to the joy of staying for that comeback. I didnt even have a jacket on in the second half, gave it to my son to wear.

The Drive.
Texas Tech vs Houston. UH had defeated #5 Oklahoma State, week before.

Week after, we go on to lose to UTEP and Donald Buckram . Kid ran wild.

And then bounced back the next game and won at Mississippi State.

1 Like

My favorite was the 90 A&M game. I went with an aggie girl friend. We were down like 17-0 by the time we got to our seats.
When we received the kickoff late in the forth quarter after the aggies took the lead I looked at her and told her the game was over - Spoon was going to run it down their throats and there was nothing they could do

WheelerBoy, I assume y’all didn’t get married.

@Tulsa, “put that in your pipe and smoke it” game was awesome

1 Like

Nope

I was a sr. Student trainer when we beat UT 30-0 on“Dad’s Day! Our DE Guy Brown kept telling us to remind him of the reverse play to Johnny Lam Jones, later in the game he dropped him for a loss on the reverse! AWESOME!

3 Likes