For me the Kentucky game is for the icing

No matter what happens Friday night, this season was a great success to me. It has already met my highest hopes for the team. The celebratory cake has been made and it’s going to be delicious when we chow down on it the entire off season waiting for a new season to begin.

I feel like it’s important for me (you do you) to come to that conclusion before the game. I’m looking at the match up and seeing the height of Kentucky’s guards being our kryptonite. Not their athleticism, or the play of their team. I think there are teams better than Kentucky that we could beat three out of four times.

So I now get to go into the game with the mindset we have nothing to lose. We won’t be the favorite, rightfully so. We got our redemption from last year’s missed free throws and unlucky final shot. We’ve accomplished what needed to be accomplished. Now, the worrying is done and I’m just going to enjoy this game win or lose. If we win, it’s just icing on that already delicious cake I’m ready to chow down on.

13 Likes

Just looked at the height of guards for U of K & OSU very similar. I’m not saying the Wildcats aren’t better but at this point it just depends on who plays. a better game!

Good perspective. I think we have a very legit shot of winning this game, but even if we lose, I’ll be just fine as long as we’re competitive. This team has been so much fun to watch.

2 Likes

House money I agree Jimmy. Last night the pressure was all on us. Now the pendulum completely shifts let’s see how we play when the higher expectations aren’t with us.

1 Like

I agree. Advancing to the Sweet 16 is a big accomplishment for the team and season and I couldn’t be much happier, but I want more. If it weren’t for a Michigan prayer shot, we would have advanced to the Sweet 16 last year and played (and beaten) Texas A&M to advance to the Elite 8. So there is a part of me that believes we were already an Elite 8 caliber team last year, which is why my view of success for this team is the Elite 8.

It would validate that last year was a missed opportunity and that we are a Top 10 program. A Sweet 16 and no more validates we are a Top 20 program.

I may be wrong (and I can live with that), but that’s the way I view it.

7 Likes

Not sure where you are looking. OSU’s top scoring guard is 6’1. Their number two scoring guard is 6’3. Both senior guards as well. In fact OSU only played one guard over 6’3. Kentucky’s top two guards are 6’5 and 6’6. I’m comparing the guards that play 30 minutes a game. Not the ones that come as the 8th man or 10th man on the court.

1 Like

Yeah, we had trouble guarding Cumberland. Their athletes probably average the size and athleticism of him. But whatever. Don’t EVER underestimate the heart of a champion! Lol

Looks like were gonna need more minutes from deeky and nate!

4 Likes

I’m definitely just enjoying the ride. This team is one of the most consistent I’ve ever witnessed so I know they’ll have a chance to survive. I’m confident we are back as a program but you just never know. Savor it friends!

In my non expert opinion, Kentucky definitely has length that will disrupt our shooters. Wofford had to take some deep 3s or put more arc on others. Can’t wait to see how CKS adapts. I think if we can be effective driving to the hoop we can open up the outside. Corey’s trigger is quicker than ever and so I think he’ll be fine. We need Armoni and Nate to hit contested shots and Deeky getting to the hoop. We can beat them if we keep them off balance on D. They can’t push us around or out run us.

2 Likes

One thing I did notice looking at those two is that put together they make/take the same amount of threes as Davis per game. This means they aren’t big three point shooters despite having good %. They must only take open ones. If we play tight on them it may throw off their game a bit.
Friday will reveal all!

2 Likes

Agree, we’re playing with house money now.

2 Likes

Totally agree. I would be extremely pleased with a program that consistently got us to the Sweet 16. At that point you are considered a top program.

I think we are there.

Getting out of the second weekend occasionally would be nice. Getting out of the third weekend would be a dream. But what was once a pipe dream is now a realistic dream.

2 Likes

Defending Kentucky‘s guards? Never underestimate #5 and #25.

1 Like

Calapari knows we are better than Wolford. He knows that we play tough defense. He knows his team could win or lose this game. I don’t care about House money. They beat Wofford because they knew that they had to run at McGee every time. CD is about scoring, take away his three and he will drive on you and shoot a 2. We need DJ to not foul as much, Fabian to keep playing like he has the last 3 games and Nate to step up and hit some threes. We can take these guys. Didn’t they lose to LSU whom we beat.

2 Likes

I like what CKS said as a definition of playing our best. Basically, he said in the post-game presser that playing our best means being the best at the things we can control like guarding, rebounding, and effort. If we do those things on Friday at our best level, win or lose, I’m happy.

1 Like

Armoni needs to step up big time if we hope to advance past UK. So far he hasn’t had a typical game, for him, in the past two tourney’s.

3 Likes

Ohio State was playing him really tight on the perimeter, though. He was also basically 1 made 3 from having a kind of typical Armoni game. I think he played fine yesterday. Would love to see him hit 5 3’s against Kentucy though.

2 Likes

Shaggy and Sect230 have the right perspective. This season has been a huge success, regardless of the outcome Friday nite. Of course I want us to win Friday nite, think we can, and will be disappointed if we don’t. But like 230 said, as long as they compete like they always do, I will be proud

2 Likes

Exactly. He attacked the basket a couple of times as well as his usual exceptional rebounding. He’s not the on-ball defender that Corey and Galen are(and Nate will become) but was solid defendively

1 Like

I been wanting to whip Coach Cal and Rick Petino since CUSA. I want the win over his team while he is still coaching. We need to beat Kentucky. I am not good until we defeat this cheater.

2 Likes