Four Pac-10 Schools to Join Big 12 speculation

I’m increasingly skeptical of this. U0 especially isn’t really a B1G-tier brand, which is wild to say. 60k stadium capacity, zero all-time football championships, and constantly teetering on the verge of getting kicked out of the AAU, and the media market they bring is just outside the top 20? That doesn’t really read as a B1G expansion candidate to me. Take Phil Knight out of the equation and they’re Oklahoma State with slightly better academics.

4 Likes

The SEC and B1G are playing a game of Chicken vs each other.

They are both at 16 right now. Neither want to get past that number until it is a slam dunk add for them.

The B1G would add ND tomorrow to get past that 16 but they aren’t biting.

The SEC is attempting to add 4 from the ACC but it may take a little while.

There are barely 8 SEC or B1G worthy adds left but Washington and Oregon are DEFINITELY part of the B1G’s western wing expansion options IF/WHEN the expansion threshold makes it that far.

Leaving two new B1G scools in the Los Angeles metro out on an absurd island makes no sense…it is part of a bigger strategy.

I kinda think the B10 looks at Oregon as Walmart to their Costco. Yea, they’re successful but the quality and image don’t jibe with ours. The B10 thinks of itself as substance behind the uniform. Whether its true or not.

Oregon, while tenuous ground from an AAU perspective, is a Top 100 university overall. I think it is a top 50 public school.

Oregon knows it is on the knifes edge with regards to AAU, and is taking steps to address it. They have increased focus on R&D, and have set up new research institutions on campus to assist.

Rumor is that Uncle Phil will be establishing some new fangled medical/health science center focused on sports medicine/science. Makes sense honestly, with Nike HQ down the street.

Also, Oregon’s population, unlike CA’s, is growing.

Flight time differentials aren’t so much, at least for the teams taking charter jets.

Los Angeles to Seattle 2:43
Los Angeles to Columbus 4:17
Los Angeles to Newark 5:09

wack

1 Like

Per the US Census, CA grew by ~6% from 2010-2020. CA is growing. It’s just not growing as fast as some other states (incl. Oregon.)

1 Like

My understanding is that since 2019, CAs population actually shrank.

1 Like

I’ve learned not to argue with 1927 about west coast sports, no matter what my data says.

1 Like

“Since 2019” is a fairly unique stretch of time, given the pandemic. I’d wager against that trend continuing into the 2030s and 2040s.

1 Like

I will take that bet T-Moar.

Between water shortages, housing shortages, energy supply lines, reduced birth rates and reduced immigration (legal and illegal), I just don’t see the population growing for the next ten to 15 years.

Our country is getting older, fatter and less healthy by the day.

2 Likes

Colorado to Big 12 confirmed.
https://twitter.com/cubuffs/status/1550194649809182722?s=21&t=knxTdcmhanFjHNAnvSyCsg

1 Like

Stop!

2 Likes

Even if the B1G is concerned with growth, Oregon is still dramatically smaller than California, and even their current growth rate isn’t going to see that change for decades. To put it into context, if Oregon grew at a consistent rate of 10% per decade and CA uniformly lost 1% per year (neither of those things will happen) it would take Oregon ~60 years to pass the size of the Los Angeles Metro Area alone.

Mind you, in this same scenario, Utah passes both long before that happens. Maybe the B1G should be buying stock in the Utes?

Womp womp…

So no applications were submited after all?

2 Likes

All we be peace and solidarity at the PAC media days. The ADs will huddle in different groups, but don’t expect anything to reveal who has staked out different positions.

I agree with everything you said.

I was only pointing out that Oregon has a growing population relative to CA (it gained a congressional seat in the recent census).

I remind all that when this began, big 12 decision makers felt the final resolution as to possible new members would occur toward end of summer.That is 6 weeks away, folks…Still possible we take 4…Possible we take 2…Sources from Arizona and Colorado seems to indicate they are coming…Still a question on other 2…AGAIN, we need to wait…non events in July mean NOTHING.

There on PST still have some time only about 5:30pm there

2 Likes

All the Four Corners schools are in the Mountain Time Zone. Just so we have an idea regarding late TV windows.

1 Like