G5 left just trying to survive: 'We are a farm system'

I’m so glad we’re not G5 anymore.

Already historically disadvantaged from brand and budget perspectives, programs in the Group of Five are now struggling to compete with their bigger brothers in compensating players. Power Five programs, equipped with on average five times more NIL cash, are outbidding Group of Five schools to take their best players, pillaging rosters of returning all-conference athletes and transforming FBS football’s lower subdivision into a veritable minor league.

“We are a farm system,” said Liberty coach Jamey Chadwell. “No matter who you are, you are going to have to try hard to hold on to your top players. That gets taxing. We are taking the approach that if a freshman plays and he does well, we are only going to have him for one more year.”

1 Like

Glad we got into the P4 country club before the iron gates closed shut.

19 Likes

I think this is probably true at a fair number of “P4” schools, as well. It’s also true if they don’t play at all, don’t play “enough,” or don’t get “the right opportunities.”

2 Likes

But there may be a VIP section or even VIP party beyond those iron gates.

1 Like

Then we need to pay for the “elite” membership level!

:laughing:

1 Like

This is why P2 will never be a thing. It would destroy college athletics!!!

1 Like

as if the big boys cared, if they can get more money; they’ll do it. its not as if all the so far they paused once and considered the long term affects on college athletics. show them the money and they’ll stab anyone in the back, even the p4.

2 Likes

Yes, we are inside the gated community. The thing is, P4 is going to have schools like the New York Yankees and some like the Oakland A’s.

1 Like

We’re clearly the A’s or maybe the Rays is a more apt comparison, considering our consistent success despite limitations (and now, a tough neighborhood/division).

Probably best to think of these athletes as free agents on one year deals now

We are well on the way to it being destroyed won’t be long now

An athletic conference is a means of increasing the income of colleges by limiting competition.

If Chrysler, Ford, and GM attempted to operate as a conglomerate, the Federal Government would quickly stop them because it would limit competition and decrease pressure to innovate. When an athletic conference disallows membership of a school, it acts as a conglomerate with similar results.

The more athletic conferences resemble conglomerates with huge amounts of money involved, the more likely the feds will intervene. If congress can figure a way of taxing them, the faster it will act.

Ahem… the farm system has been in place for a very long time.

The only things that have changed are the yearly transfers (allowed by ncaa) and the payment and portal visibility.

1 Like

College football is going to hell in a hand basket !!

1 Like

What will happen to March Madness if P4 breakaway. That’s my concern…

That’s one of the reasons that I am skeptical that either a P2 or even P4 “breakaway” will occur.

March Madness is worth too much TV money to simply throw it all away.

That said…I’ve learned to never say never.

Or they could just breakaway in Football only is my other assumption and keep things intact for basketball and other sports

I suppose there’s a greater possibility of that.

No we aren’t!

We aren’t the A’s.

In our FIRST year in a Power Conference, we are in 1st place in basketball…in the toughest BB Conference.

In football…we are a growth stock with a huge ceiling.

Yes, we are outside the P2 tier BUT we are among the best of the rest and our fundamentals are all tending up!

Large public school
Rich alums
Rich powerful state with increased funding
Huge city + metro
Recruiting hot bed
Facility and academic improvements.

Ironically, using the Baseball comparison…we are more like the Houston Astros ( at the start of this run) than the Oakland Athletics

Strategy and organization can easily put us in the top 33%

1 Like

Yeah, I made a better comparison with the Rays in the same post.

And even the A’s are not immune to playoff contention despite limitations given how often they’ve made the playoffs since the Beane era. The Astros eliminated them from the playoffs during the Covid year. So just because I compare us to a cash strapped organization (like this school and athletic department is) doesn’t mean we can’t overcome it.

But the fact is we ARE cash strapped and lacking fan support, at least the compared to other P5/4 schools/AD’s. So if you don’t like the A’s comparison, take the Rays comparison. Either works.