Game 20 review

I mean it’s fair to say Sampson didn’t have his best game either. No one did, otherwise we’d be talking about a win. He’s earned the right to be human every once in a a while.

1 Like

Sure felt a lot like the Villanova game.
Great defense all night. (Held Villanova to 50 pts.)
Held Temple to 26 points in the second half.
We just couldn’t score.

2 Likes

That’s what I’m hoping, that this gets the team back on the right track.

1 Like

Well it was nice while it lasted. Every conference team is taking their best shot at us.

I mean, look what we did as a 5 seed last year. Not saying being a 1 seed wouldn’t be nice, but I’m not worried about March. Still have a month and half before we are there with a coaching staff the develops players probably better than anyone else in the country!

Sampson’s technical may have done some good.
If I remember correctly, it was after that technical that we turned our defense up a notch and didn’t allow Temple to make a single basket.

As far as Shead taking the last shot, no one else was making shots or free throws.
At least Shead had the balls to take the risk.

The whole team wouldn’t move WITHOUT the ball on offense. That’s what made the offense predicable and easy to stop.

3 Likes

Freshman need to get locked in. Jarace has stretches where he’s almost unplayable. Sharp played some really good defense. But can definitely look to create more off the dribble. I really expected more from TA this year. I knew he had a lot to work on with his game but he looks scared and lost out there. I can’t see him not returning next year. He’s nowhere near league ready as of now

2 Likes

I think Temple went up 7 after the technical.

But it what it is at this point.

Mentally, I have moved on.

You never want to lose. But if there is someone that can use this loss as a teaching tool, it is Sampson.

Would not surprise me if we didn’t lose another game this season. That includes March and early April.

1 Like

Chances of a 1 seed may be difficult to obtain. We have to win out now, IMO. But never say never.

I agree!

But I can see UH losing one more game before the NCAA Tournament, tops!!!

Memphis or someone who gets a fluke win on us (UH).

If you win out you will definitely get the 1 seed, but idk if we can lose another one. Maybe at Memphis? We need to start winning convincingly

2 Likes

UCF or Memphis would be the only other ones you can afford. And not both.

That’s why this one hurts. Swap this one with UCF on Wednesday and I say we could still lose one more and get a 1. I don’t think that is the case anymore. But, honestly, it may not matter. I feel comfortable about what we can do in March with Sampson at the helm.

3 Likes

@pesik this is why this conference blows.

Temple is a solid team. But have a terrible coach. And are way too up and down. But when they are on, they can compete.

4 Likes

Yeah. Rule number 1 in the AAC is to avoid the Q3/4 loss and we did just that.

I’d say a 2 is perfectly fine as long as we don’t get the Jayhawks in KC, but we definitely are a better road team than home team after this travesty of a game

Win out and we should still be a one. Lose a second and it’ll just depend on what the other top teams do. At this point though I think we’re headed for 15-3 and the 3 line. Hope I’m wrong because I really want to see us end up in the West regional and I think we’ll have a higher chance of that happening if we’re a 1 or 2.

I would agree, Mr Money

But this year, imo the field is more OPEN than usual and there’s enough season for UH to lose one before the Conf. tournament where UH still gets a no.1 seed because other teams will have plenty of loses with the exception of maybe Purdue. Even they are not safe with plenty of season to go. Just look at UConn who early on looked unbeatable.

few thoughts

• shead the last few games have not been great… he actually had hist best 2 offensive games prior… but his passing and defense have severely been lacking … his role for us is defense and passing… he made his 1st 2 3s, then went shot happen and went 4-16 this game…
    – sheadtaking the shot with 5secs to go makes ZERO sense to me…i could live with a sasser, mark …even a marsk shot… a shead contested layup?

• obviously bad ft shooting, left 10 pts on the board in a 1 pt loss

• that was a dream last shot to end the game, bummer it didnt go in

• there was no concerted effort to give sharp the ball when he is in, and its bothersome especially when he was the best shooter in… shead and sharp had 3 back to back fastbreak shead didnt look for him once… we need bench points and the writing is on the wall that it has to be sharp

• we run no sets for sasser… we do absolutely nothing to help sasser get shots except the occasional pick… no play, no offball anything… just let him iso and random picks … at one point they had a power forward on sasser for a long stretch, there no way a power forward can stay with sasser on some of ball stuff with screens

• i though sasser had a good game (way more positives than negatives), and temple was selling out on him

• jarace statistically had a bad game but i kind like how aggressive he was

1 Like

Also. To the people saying Jarace should come back.

Ochai Agbaji was the last pick of the lottery last season.

Any guesses on how much money he is making this season?

im not sure why… the immediate feeling of the loss sucks… but we are still at minimum a 2 seed… this teams needs to develop in alot of areas, and we can continue to develop without worry of mass losses

1 Like

Because I now think we have to win out for any chance at a 1 seed with this loss.

We are 18-2 for crying out loud. And now have to play perfect basketball for a 1.