Game 20 review

Sheads tear drop floater was automatic last year and this year it’s garbage. I have no idea what happened but I really hope he gets it sorted out. He gets into the lane so easily but just can’t finish.

3 Likes

They hit 31% of their shots. Defense was not our problem

I think his point is Temple had a lot of good looks. Kick out 3s to Battle and Dunn that couldve gone down and stretched their lead

56pts, no denying that’s solid. But doubling the post, when they didn’t have a great low post scorer makes no sense

The monster defense i thought was to get the ball out of a dominant bigs hands. Like Alabama or Oregons bigs. Like a Zach Edey or Drew Timme.

Temple didn’t have a dominant big. So why double? I guess to force turnovers with a trap. But, they seemed pretty comfortable when we brought a double. They were able to pass out of the double many times, for open shots on the back side

2 Likes

Temple took away what we like to do. They were quick and mirrored us.

For much of the game our free throw percentage equalled our 3 point percentage.

Make our free throws we win the game

6 Likes

If they had been making a large percentage of those shots then we would have a case against our defense.
This one is entirely on our offense. We are really lacking that offensive go to guy.
I think Shead tries to be but I doubt he will ever be that guy. He is the team leader but he is not a scorer.
Sasser is also very streaky and personally I think he handles the ball too much at times.
And I am thinking somewhere down the line we need to post up Jarace Walker inside. He is talented but if he wants to help this team we need him attacking the basket more. He missed some open shots because he shoots in the lane falling back instead of attacking the basket and drawing fouls.
We need to win games and quit worrying about how certain players look posing for the NBA

2 Likes

Lacking a legit post player is definitely hurting us. Jwan is 6ft 7 and against more size or a double team, he struggles at times. Hes made big strides as a player, but he’s not Fabians level as a low post scorer

Would love to see Jarace posting up consistently game to game. Cause when he drives from the 3pt line, it usually results in a floater, which is kinda hit or miss for him

2 Likes

Legit question and there is no right or wrong answer. Would you rather lose by 1 at home to a bad team (e.g., Temple or USF), or lose by 20 at home to a good team (e.g., Kansas losing at home by 20 to TCU)? I’m in the camp of preferring to lose by one to a bad team. For people who watched the game, it’s obvious why we lost. Couldn’t make any shots or FTs when that’s not normally the case. We have 2 losses this year and both games were games we should have won. No one has blown us out. I think that’s a better situation than getting blown out even by a really good team. Thoughts?

4 Likes

Still number 1 in Net this morning.

2 Likes

:thinking:, resume wise. I would prefer getting blown out to a good team. This is a Quad 3 loss. Losing to a good team is like Quad 1 or Quad 2.

We lost to Alabama and made rotation changes. It’ll be interesting if there’s any changes that come out of this loss

Play Javier Francis and Arceneaux more? We need more guard bench production. I feel like our 3 guards might be getting gassed

Sasser, 38 minutes. Mark, 34 minutes. Shead, 33 minutes. And that’s kinda the typical minutes distribution

1 Like

Clearly we have two main weaknesses:
Hit free throws
Defending against bigger/taller teams
This has been going on for years. CKS knows it, his coaching staff knows it. How do we get better?
Practice, practice and practice.

Defending against taller teams is only the 2nd most important issue.
The most important is finding a way to SCORE against taller teams.
Defense isn’t the problems when the other team scores below 60.
Offense is the problem if we can’t score above 60.

2 Likes

If we played this badly there is no team in the Big 12 that wouldn’t have beat us and many of those would have been blowouts.

3 Likes

Fair enough. This last game is just another reminder for our coaching staff of how much we can improve. We will.

shead is shooting 37%

But you maybe ultimately right.
We need to improve on defense for now.
CKS might still be concentrating on defense.
Maybe offense work comes in February.
I don’t know for sure.

I havnt seen the breakdown, but I feel like we didn’t rebound that great this game? Could be wrong.

We did ok numbers-wise. Out rebounded them 39-33 and had 12 offensive rebounds. But we did not capitalize at all on those offensive rebounds. I can’t find a second chance points stat from the game, but off hand, I can’t remember a single time we scored after an offensive rebound. I’m sure we did, but certainly not enough. Especially on a night where we shot so poorly.

1 Like

Just run the table the rest of the way. Hopefully they got all their losses out of the way. No pressure on being undefeated and hopefully coach knows this team pretty well now on what works and what doesn’t. Need to have a longer leach on young players like Sharp, Francis and TA.

That’s the only way they will learn, by game action! Also, so the starters won’t be too fatigued come tournament time.

It shouldn’t have been close enough to matter, but that “foul” on Roberts was criminal. That would be a bad call at any point of any game, but tied with less than a minute left? Are you kidding me?

It reminded me of all of the touch “fouls” that Kendric Davis got last year in the SMU loss. Guess who was reffing both games?

Joe Lindsay. Guess who made the call on Roberts? Joe Lindsay!

Joe Lindsay has reffed 9 games of ours in the last 2 seasons-- we have lost 3 of them. SMU last year, Temple this year, and possibly the worst of all of them-- Alabama last year (I believe the goaltending call was his to make, as well). Opponents have shot 33 more free throws in those games than us (including 22 in the 3 losses). He also reffed in the 2OT game against Wichita State last year when they shot 26 free throws to our 12.

Anyway, not to get too conspiracy-minded here-- we played like crap and deserved to lose-- but it’s gotten to where if I see his name on the referee assignment, I wince.

8 Likes

they must’ve figured we’re 20 pt favorites…no problem!!