Game 20 review

https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/status/1617252078866550784

Press rocking’ the Cougar Paw. Too bad he and Dusty/Pettis caught a rare bad game.

https://twitter.com/UHCougars/status/1617275820090822659?cxt=HHwWhsC8hcXy2_EsAAAA

They shut down Roberts and Chaney hustled but was no threat on offense. Francis. Looked very intimated…
What I would like to see is Sharp taking more than two or three shots.
We really need J Walker to be a threat around the basket.
Walker and Shead missed way too many inside floaters. Walker has got to finish around the rim. Post him up some.
Was something wrong with Ramon? He couldn’t have done any worse than anyone else on the bench.
I agree with my son, we need our three freshmen to step up big if we are going to do anything in March.

2 Likes

I agree!!!

1 Like

Teams are all over Sharp he has a hard time getting open shots now in the last few games, he isn’t surprising anyone anymore

3 Likes

Dana reading that quote like

5 Likes

Loss is all my fault.

I was away from seeing the game today and did not post my traditional cheerleader pictures. :smirk:

just kidding but sure sucks giving up a likely overall one seed. will be hard to get that even if the coogs win out from here which seems iffy

1 Like

What I am seeing is he only shoots when he is open and seems tentative to dribble much and create his own shots. That will improve with maturity

1 Like

True. He’s not the most athletic nor quickest; so he has to work extra hard to get his shot off now that teams are staying with him and in the scouting report.

We’re going to need T.A. to step up if they want to win a ship in April. That’s on coach to put him on the best spot to give him confidence and get him ready by tournament time.

Eventually screens will happen. In high school he could score off the dribble. He will gain confidence and eventually Sampson will loosen the leash.
He will be a great scorer here before he is finished

He looked so good against a talented Oregon team at their court earlier in the season. So the talent is there no doubt!

Oregon wasn’t ranked

Does it matter… They have quite the talent on that roster when UH faced them. Then they got banged up.

1 Like

Outside of Dante, TA was the best player on the floor that night.

That’s on Sampson he have to run more plays and sets for Sasser and Sharp to get them open looks

2 Likes

Enough working on defense. Time to focus on offense and free throws. Should be priority.

4 Likes

Ron Groover had an off day. Will give him benefit of the doubt as heard he was ref’ing like 10th straight day but he was clearly having a bad day.

1 Like

A rare loss. Very rare.

Last season I think we lost only once when an opponent scored below 65.

To Villanova.

Another one today.

Sampson wins over 94% of low-scoring games.

3 Likes

Although the scoreboard said we only gave up 56, we should definitely work on the defense a bit bc we were giving up wide open 3s all day on top of the horrendous offense

2 Likes

We have a couple of these games every year where we can’t buy a basket. I would rather it happen in January than March.

1 Like

Common theme in both losses is Shead led the team in FGA, and that is because Bama and Temple did a great job limiting Sasser’s attempts.

Walker missed a few 5-6 footers, Mark couldn’t finish, and Shead couldn’t make any floaters near the end of shot clock high pick and rolls.

pesik said it earlier, UH usually doesn’t run anything to get Sasser open for 3s.

It seemed UH didn’t go into Roberts in the low post much today, or Walker. And when they did Temple double teamed which UH rarely gets. Didn’t score muchafter passing out.

Seemed Walker didn’t step out on a couple screen and rolls early and Temple hit a couple 3s, and a couple poor close outs on Dunn at the 3 point line.

Missed FTs was also huge.

With all that being said UH had a decent shot at the buzzer to win the game.

I say UH loses 2 or 3 more games and ends up 30-4 or 29-5. 1 seed, 2 seed, whatever. It is more about who is in your region and upsets that may happen in your region

and BTW, Temple defense was really good, they got back in transition all game and I don’t remember any live ball turnovers that led to an easy transition bucket, and they kept UH in front of them in the half court.

1 Like