Game 20: Temple @ #1 Houston - January 22nd, 2023 (L 55-56)

Tugler is already elite at Sampson ball.

Then why is coach using them early in games, even close games?
Btw Roberts also came off the bench

Painful to watch the Cougars lose! UH, as good as they can be, just can’t handle prosperity!
Seems as though we’ll be vulnerable in the tournament. We’ll Likely lose another game or two.

1 Like

I was watching Lath in pregame and he is thick and moves well, can’t wait to see what him Tugler and McFarland can do.
JMO but we need a big body inside and Francis is nowhere near ready yet

2 Likes

I hate the spacing might we might need to run more Chaney/Roberts lineups. They are so good on defense

There are a lot of questions on offense. The biggest one I have is what are our designed plays in half court? It looks like we have Shead or Sasser probing the perimeter D, to see if they can get by their guy. If they can its either a pass to Juwan or dagger back to the open guard. We tend to pass up open shots early only to pass our way back to the same spot to take the shot. I’m not a basketball coach but it looked like Temple knew as much about what we wanted to do as we did.

Not complaining, just bewildered.

6 Likes

Seems like last year’s team were over achievers, while the jury is still out on this years team.
Hope the final analysis doesn’t determine this year’s team to be under achievers!

3 Likes

I think our offensive game plan is fine.

We just missed shots. Shead missed like 3 or 4 floaters in the lane. Jarace is taking some incredibly tough shots when he doesn’t need to. But he also missed a couple of floaters. Marcus and Shead had a couple of shots blocked at the rim.

Tramon missed 2 or 3 bunnies. The one to win the game was a killer.

We also missed 10 free throws. 10!

5 Likes

There seems to be a pronounced lack of confidence in the open jumper. The one exception, in my eyes, is Sharp. I think Sharp could be 0-13 and still think his next shot is going in. I think he could be another John Starks.

2 Likes

Over achievers? We should have beaten Villanova and made the final four!

2 Likes

I am ready to see Sharp shoot the rock more!

1 Like

@bigmccoog could’ve lost to a deeper Illinois team too, in the 2nd round. That was a tie game with about 7 minutes to go

I think we overachieved last season. If any of the 2 guards got in foul trouble we were screwed

2 Likes

Ask Arizona if we overachieved

Last years team considering injuries definitely overachieved. Most woulda been happy with just 1 tourney win after how the offense looked in February

4 Likes

I would match last years team with this one. We had a big guy in the middle and Taze was clutch down the stretch.
I’m not so sure that the Edwards-Shead combo wasn’t better than Sasser-Shead.
I don’t remember Shead being called on to shoot near as much.
He ran the point and set up shots.
Edwards hit some clutch treys down the stretch, rebounded well and played defense.
Unfair really to compare teams because this team remains a work in progress.
We can resume this conversation in March

2 Likes

Yes overachievers! Considering the injuries and lack of depth last year.

1 Like

I’ll have to watch the full postgame

2 Likes

We had experience and a big body in the middle. Once again I would match that team at the end of the year with this one right now.
Hopefully this team is better at the end

1 Like

Let’s not overreact after one loss. We knew at some point we would drop one.

1 Like

Yes, i knew we’d drop one. But not to a team like this at home

I guess that’s college basketball. Just expect many Ls and move on

1 Like