Game 37: #5 Miami vs #1 Houston - NCAA Tournament - March 24th, 2023 - 6:15 pm CST - CBS

Miami is not shy about shooting treys. They are very athletic and aggressive. Their guard Wong is so quick and a really good shooter.
We have had problems with small, quick guards this year so it will be interesting to see if our guards can hold him down a bit.
Hoping our defense makes the difference against the Canes.
And glad we are not playing Indiana although we are much more athletic.
All we would have heard from the Hoosier cult is how evil Sampson is.
That said we will have our hands full with a good Miami team

9 Likes

Miami can play. Let’s get some rest and get ready to hoop. I’m guessing opening line Coogs -3.5. Go Coogs!

2 Likes

Last year we were a 5-seed when we beat 1-seed Arizona. A lot of people thought we should’ve been ranked higher. Miami is good. We need to bring defensively to slow down their guard play, much the same way we slowed down the high powered Tulane offense.

2 Likes

There it is.

Luckily, Miami’s defense is atrocious (in the 100s in KenPom), and they shoot a ton of 3s and are somewhat streaky at it. They have that one big who is pretty solid down low but only on offense. Otherwise, they are generally pretty lanky and undersized. They turn the ball over a lot and don’t rebound particularly well. I actually like the matchup more after having looked into them a little more.

They seem kind of sloppy and not particularly well-coached. You basically just have to hope they don’t show up like they did at Indiana today where every goofy 3 they launch goes in. We match up way better with them physically/athletically than Indiana did, though, and our defense is way better than Indiana’s, too. I feel good about this matchup.

4 Likes

2 Likes

Yea if Miami shoots lights out we are in trouble. Ya never know.

7 Likes

As someone who touted Miami many weeks ago, I will just say one thing - Miami will have their hands full playing against us.

1 Like

Luckily we have the #2 3-point defense out of 363 teams. Our best strength should cancel out their best strength.

1 Like

Gosh I don’t know about their defense being atrocious. They give up fewer ppg than we do. Also regarding rebounding, they outrebounded IU by 17 tonight

3 Likes

Any insight on game time?

2 Likes

Miami will lose against us. All of their defensive ratings are over 105 which is terrible.

We hover around 87 average per player.

It’s from the sports reference website.

Only way Miami can win is if they score over 80. That will not happen with our defense.

Prediction: 75-62 Houston wins

8 Likes

They destroyed Indiana on the boards, but the Hoosiers aren’t the Cougars.
I was impressed with the Wong kid, he reminds me of Kendrick Davis.
I agree that our defense carries us unless they just shoot out of their minds

3 Likes

108th defense on Ken Pom (we are #4) and they give up 72 ppg, we give up the 2nd least in the NCAA at 56.

2 Likes

We should ask Caleb Mills for some tips

2 Likes

Ah you know what, the ppg number I was looking at is for the tournament, not the whole season. Yeah their defense hasn’t been very good this year. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Tramon will be guarding Isiah Wong, Shead will be guarding Nigel Pack and Sasser will be guarding Miller. The problem that Miami has no one who can play against Jarace Walker. I expect Jarace to have a huge game. They crowded Trayce Jackson as IU was very one dimensional team. Try doing that against Houston lol. And Mark would have played great game based on how many pts Wong scores. I think Mark can keep Wong around 10. Let the games begin.

6 Likes

Miami’s personnel reminds me a lot of Tulane. Some electric scoring guards/wings who play terrible defense, and outside of one “big-ish” F, absolutely no size down low to counter Walker and Roberts when we are on offense. I think we match up really well.

2 Likes

UH needs a long week to get guys healthy

2 Likes