Game 5 review

pesik says no

27 Likes

I think we would win a series with them regardless of the number of games. About six of their rebounds were the long, arcing kind off the rim. Additionally, Arceneaux would play increasingly more minutes each game. We won the steals battle 13-4. That is why we were able to open big leads on them three times. That is a statistic that I have no doubt we would duplicate every game. Lastly, despite looking more comfortable, Jarace has an incredibly quick first step from around the free throw line. He left about 6-8 points on the table tonight. Like Arceneaux, his scoring would increase incrementally in a series.

So while we might not shoot that high a percentage from 3 every game, I think our points from the arc in would improve with each game. And one more thing. While we had a great 3-point night, Oregon had a borderline suspicious advantage in fouls. You put any three-man officiating crew on the court other than these guys and their possessions decrease dramatically. Oregon has two great players. We have seven very good players. We’re better.

4 Likes

Any 3-man crew? You must not watch much college basketball.

2 Likes

I made a comment after the St Joe’s game about Ramon’s defense (that he struggles against players that are quicker than him) and got pushback on this from RW. I stand by my comment.

6 Likes

I agree. I think he will be matched up against some of the 4s as we advance into the season.

Ramon has been expsed on the perimeter no doubt
 But he positions himself well on offense and defense and I thought he has been shooting pretty well from behind the arc this season so far

This is a tough team to get minutes on
 Period.

2 Likes

This is awesome. What a great team.

Let’s consider Oregon was without couple of their players (starter ?) so the biased refs might have evened up the difference.

I am going to assume the refs will do this every year first time we play a power on national TV (like Alabama last year) until CKS makes a complaint with the NCAA each time.
Or maybe just let karma play out

2 Likes

No pushback. He does some things on the defensive end great. Mainly, positioning himself perfectly better than anyone on our defense to take a charge. He is also elite in the loose ball category.

I guess you would call those the hustle plays.

But his perimeter defense isn’t even close.

Oregon was seeking him every single time that they had the basketball on offense.

2 Likes

Couisnard is their main piece missing. But, honestly. He doesn’t change much for them last night.

They sucked at shooting threes. Couisnard is a bad 3 point shooter.

Only passable three point shooter Oregon has is Richardson.

3 Likes

That Oregon team would be deadly with a couple of good ball handling guards who could shoot the three.

As for us, 5th game of of college ball for Walker and Arceneaux. This team, like teams in the past, is just going to get better as the season goes along.

1 Like

If we played this multiple times, Dante would be sitting with foul trouble for most of the series. We had no trouble getting the ball inside. We’d crush oregon in a series.

1 Like

He certainly excels in some areas defensively (as you mentioned hustle plays). He struggles guarding quicker players.

1 Like

He negated one of our core strengths though, our offensive rebounding. Which makes up for bad shooting nights. Good thing we had a good shooting night.

3 Likes

Well, three refs gave it a good go

2 Likes

Our three big guys looked intimidated at times. Roberts had two points on a put back and five rebounds. Francis and Chaney had nothing, no points or no rebounds.
But fortunately we by far had our best outside shooting game of the year and our team defense was really good.
Arceneaux just earned more playing time. St. Marys is our next big test with a very strong Virginia just up the road

2 Likes

As a freshman ?

Lol
If you mean we had a conversation yes.

Arceneaux did some great things last night and his shooting was a touch of fresh air to our struggling offense. But what impressed me also is how the young freshman got the ball smacked back in his face by one of their big monsters on a drive, but moments later cooly sank a trey from the corner.
He is smooth and athletic
reminds me so much of Clyde at a young age, except Drexler could not shoot the rock this well

4 Likes

It was definitely some home cooking but I feel like the foul situation screwed them when they were fouling to get the ball back at the end of the game. In years past a lopsided foul game was usually a loss for us but this year with the strength of our bench and the depth we have it was not even a issue.

2 Likes