Game 5 review

What makes our team great is no matter how poorly guys are playing, they keep their heads in the game and make plays. Small or big plays. Wanny had that great tap of the ball forward so Mark could get the and 1 to basically ice it. We have guys who never check out because they aren’t doing well individually.

2 Likes

And I have just don’t go over board with it.

Funny how some of you now think you know Sampson. My guess is that he is proud of their performance. So what, a freakishly tall and athletic front gave us some issues.
As I said there are some adjustments to make and having seen our guys compete I am sure they will respond better next time.

What no one seems to be picking up on is Sampson’s game strategy on Dante and it worked very well actually. We let him play his game for 35 minutes to keep our bigs out of foul trouble and we still had the lead. Then, if you noticed, in the last 5 minutes our bigs got a lot more physical with him and pretty much took him out of the game. Game over!

1 Like

We just got a win (on the road) against a really good team.

As Sampson said, it’s their 5th game. LONG way to go. This team is not “great”. It has the Potential to do some “great” things come March but there’s a lot of work to do.

Excited to see how the journey plays out.

4 Likes

Dante got hurt in the end. He was limping.
That’s why our bigs played better at the end of the game.
But I’m hoping they could have done the same even if Dante had stayed healthy.

1 Like

Dante actually hurt his hip during UO’s game with Montana State. He tweaked it late in the game with us.

Not sure I’d want to send my kid to Oregon. Dante was in considerable visible pain and Altman was pushing him to check back into the game. Dana not thinking of the long run or of his kid’s health.

We had no answer for Dante. He was able to do whatever he wanted to. But after he went out of the game the Ducks looked very average and we started pouring on the points and then the refs took over.

It reminded me of the corrupt Alabama game last year. Mack will be with me in the balcony later this season so I’ll have to watch my reactions to bad calls,. Their big man got away with some impressive fouls last night.

7 Likes

You have a video person that travels with the officials at the table. At least that’s what I understand.

I don’t think we will see another center like Dante the rest of the season.

2 Likes

Unless we see them in the tourney but that’s a small chance.

Maybe the Kentucky fella Twischbe or whatever his name is

1 Like

Yeah, Oregon folks kept saying they were missing a bunch of guys but Cousinard is by far the best of the 3 and he is not all that good. Terrible shooter.

Yes…. 3-0 UH !

Anyone else catch the studio guys before Arkansas/Louisville game? Obviously Sean Farnham doesn’t come to Coogfans for his analysis of UH. He says he loves this team and that we have everything to win the NC, that we have no weaknesses. Called our backcourt the best in the country

6 Likes

Flagler, Cryer, George vs Shead, Sasser, Mark, Arceneaux

I think so. Add in the defensive part of it as well.

Marcus is averaging about 17pts right now, and honestly he can take it to another level. Only shooting 29% from 3pt on the season

Thats the scary part, Sasser and Mark, still getting back to top form after missing last season

1 Like

He had good numbers and made an impact but saying we had no answers and he did whatever he wanted to is a bit much. The standards we have set very few players are able to expose us. He impacted the game on both sides but it had more to do with finding creases in the paint we were leaving exposed. It is not like they were dropping the ball down to him saying go feed bigman. Sometimes you just tip your hat to the other player and say good game. If he comes around again in the tournament we will handle him better. There was no way he was going to beat us.

Arceneaux with the defense that he played, should see more minutes Saturday. I think he should be 1st guard off the bench

Almost averaging 10pts a game thru 5 games. 3pt stroke looks real good

Jwan, i know he was going against trees yesterday, i do want him to want the ball more offensively. Hes a good passer out of the post. He has some good moves. Hes an unselfish player, which is great. But getting some paint points from Jwan, could help us when 3s arent falling.

3 Likes

Kelvin said he told our inside guys not to go up with the offensive board, to pass it out.

2 Likes

depends

and if we play another dominant rim protecting team like this in the future, jwan should be shooting some 3s

make it a double edged sword. you have the post size, but we’ll force you to guard the perimeter

2 Likes