Good Chance Sasser Stays According to This Analyst

Good point re Lofton. Some guys are just ready to move to the next level, guarantee or not. And it’s hard to blame em.

If you had your dream goal right in front of you, what would you do?

I agree with your first 2 sentences but I think you need to go back and look at videos of Karl Malone… Banchero has work to do to be the mailman.

1 Like

I feel like that is part of the advantage that CKS has over other coaches…

Feels like his players know he is going to give them the best advice for THEIR LIVES not just for HIS TEAM… And he knows how to prepare a player to play in the NBA.

1 Like

I’ m talking about his game play :slightly_smiling_face:

Karl Malone didn’t have the handles, 3 pt shot or play making quite like Banchero :person_facepalming:

It isn’t wrong. If you aren’t an NBA mold player (size, athleticism, age) then the G-League is much better. Lofton will at minimum get an exhibit 10, probably a two way. Making $80k-450k while not having to worry about classes and getting developed every day by NBA personnel isn’t bad.

3 Likes

Do you really think some of these kids worry about going to class? Ben Simmons, or so it is rumored never attended a class at LSU

No one is deny the gleague being better than college in development

But college is drastically better than the gleague in a path to the NBA if you develop in college

How touted you are when you “enter” the nba normally defines your career…

2 Likes

How many go from the G-League to the NBA?

I think a better question might be how many go from the G-League to the NBA and stick?

G-League and a smattering of 10-day contracts or a year of college to develop and get drafted.

2 Likes

I could be wrong but I bet a higher percentage of Gleague players sniff the big league than do college players.

Thats a no-brainer; there’s roughly 4600 college players i think.

thats not the context…
its among those that are good enough to get gleague contracts but not get drafted, who have eligibility; the path to the nba is drastically easier coming back

how touted you are on draft day, and the type of contract you get normally defines how long of leash you have in the league… you 1st round you have 3 years of guaranteed millions and likely all 3 years to develop…undrafted you have 5 summer league games, and a few gleague games before they start cutting you lose. you have to provide value right away

you can drastically improve your stock in college, for how you enter the NBA… and your worst case is youd be exactly at the same spot the next year…likely gleague fighting for a spot…
keegan murray is gleague had he left last year, is a top 7 lottery pick this year

I look at Hinton, have you guys seen the insane development by him…he isnt even the same player, note that He would still have college eligibility next season if he had not declared… he left UH as the all hustle guy, with very limited offensive skills, above average D, & did not seem very athletic … his Gleague game is DIFFERENT, he is doing 20pts10rbs vs grown men, showing elite offense (along with his elite hustle), regularly running point, and shooting and driving off the dribble, catching 1 handed alley-oops… (assuming the same development) hinton is likely a 1st round pick this year. he would have had the 2 years prior development plus +3years on his new contract with an NBA team to try to stick… instead he he’s never had a really shot at real NBA minutes and this summer league/early gleague will likely be his last chance at any real shot to get a chance

2 Likes

I was just jacking with you guys. Of course the percentages are much lower in college due to numbers.
But I also understand some kids have no desire to go college when they have the ability to make more cash elsewhere

1 Like

Depends on the organization but you have a team of people specifically developing your game and you are focused on what you need to do to be in the NBA. A guy like Lofton wouldn’t be playing in college like he would need to for the NBA and no college team is going to sacrifice wins to develop him for the next level. Many G-League teams will do that to develop players.

As for Jalen Green, I was never a fan of the G-League elite team. They don’t play a real season and don’t have any current NBA people working with them. All those guys would have been safer just going to college for a year. Thankfully NIL is killing that thing.

I’m shocked! Shocked I tell you!

There are some lessons you don’t learn in an league experience that you can in college, especially our culture. The thought that you have 24/7 in a gym practicing once out of school is an overrated concept.
They have the time and facilities here and often better training staffs.
Hinton already had a three and was going to develop the consistency here. He would have been a monster and likely started his career in a higher pedestal.

Two things, you agreed G-League was better for development so you can’t assume that. Also at 23 years old? Kispert and Mitchell were the oldest in the 1st round last year at 22. Talking about All-Americans that led their team to the title. That is an extremely high bar to put on a guy to go first round. Even Butler went 2nd round.

We been over this before though. I thought Hinton should have done 1 more year. Also thought Brooks made the right decision leaving and Jarreau did as well coming back since he had NBA athleticism and length, just didn’t really work out for him.

Our offseason S&C is great for sure and if their agent doesn’t have good things set up then college would be better. The rest I would side with G-League. How often would Lofton defend on the perimeter here? Even in practice, Sampson isn’t wasting time/reps on that. Coaches only get limited time with players so don’t see his shooting getting better in college vs pro system.

Feron Hunt is another guy who made the right decision. Didn’t get any better Sophomore to Junior season but one year in the G-League he is vastly improved. If he went back to SMU this year he would have been playing the 5. Of course SMU isn’t on our level, lol.

there is drastic development in houston, there isnt a player who doesnt get drastically better from 1 year to the next. and while i do think the gleague has better development (in preparing for the nba) i agree to some extent with @TJCoog in many areas college development is better in many areas, gleague trade players like crazy…there is no long term development plan attached to the players

im not sure the development would have looked the same, im certain their would have been a similar level of development

as far as the age comments… that “extremely high bar” would have almost certainly been met, that is likely the easiest thing to check of… Hinton was the too early aac preseason player of the year before he decided to leave, and at that time would have been seen as a top 30-ish college player, that was his junior year (without the development)… we just went to the elite 8 with no major acclaim player… hinton is almost guaranteed to have been an all American on a title contending team had he stayed … we are talking about a guy regularly putting 35&11 18&18 , 27&9 type games vs grown men… whatever the college bar was he coud easily reach it

also wasnt duarte 24?

2 Likes

So if Deandre Williams returns to Memphis and blows up he would be like 35 when his rookie contract is over. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes