High School Basketball Players getting Paid $100K

When I was 17 I was making $1.75 / hour

1 Like

When I was 13 I was making around $4.25 per hour. School program.

Will it be good basketball or just NBA lite?

15 making 7.75. i thought i was on a different level

I just don’t think the viewership will be there to justify the salaries. Universities have loyal alumni and city/statewide fan bases that makes up the decent size audience for college basketball… I don’t see a fan base growing for this league.

2 Likes

What happens when these young kids get hurt. You pay a kid $100K he will be playing injured. No regulations.

Is there a state or local entity that will regulate their education, like California does for young actors.

Oh boy.

$3.15 at chevron gas station. Work mostly night shifts 10pm-6am on weekend.

https://twitter.com/TravisBranham_/status/1397213821459128321

Remember OTE….has anybody paid attention to it since it started?

I have a little bit. There was a pretty crazy game in October with Bryce Griggs going against Mikey Williams (mainly interesting because Griggs had previously left Houston to team up with Williams in California, which didn’t work out).

I was initially pretty skeptical about the entire idea, but I think I understand the vision a bit better than I did initially. This is a play on social media presence. The constant access to the players and games makes it easy to continue to create content, which the players and Overtime mutually benefit from. I don’t know if it’ll work out for them or not, but it’s an interesting concept.

The problem is how can scouts evaluate them in these games?? They are playing HS talent and feels like the production is more important than the actual play. I guess we have to see how it plays out. They don’t even have the stats available anywhere for the players.

So no TV contract but they replay it on YouTube? It looked like an AAU basketball game. All offense and no defense. I guess they are showcasing their shooting skills for NBA scouts.

Yeah, right now it feels like an alternative to high school basketball instead of a competitor to college and G-League ball. Jean Montero is the one guy I’m seeing out of OTE who is being listed on draft boards for the 2022 NBA Draft, but I think a lot of the good players in the program are on the younger side. If they are able to consistently place kids into the NBA or onto the G-League Ignite team, it’ll be a viable alternative to high school.

1 Like

Isn’t OTE recruiting mostly 5 stars and some high 4 stars? I believe almost all of them will be in the NBA so I don’t think OTE will have any problems placing them at the next level.

1 Like

I still don’t understand how the business model is supposed to actually work.

2 Likes

Here you go. So basically, every time you watch their YouTube games or follow one of their social media outlets, they are getting money from sponsors. Hmmm . . . and they are making millions from this?
:thinking:

Zack Weiner, Overtime co-founder and president, said the Overtime Elite business model is based on three revenue buckets: sponsorship, licensing and merchandising, and media rights.

To date, the league has signed Gatorade as its first sponsor. It also has a trading card licensing deal with Topps. No media rights deal has yet been signed. Overtime is banking on its 50 million followers on various digital platforms to drive interest from a young demographic. Overtime is a sports network that produces original content across social media and digital platforms such as YouTube and Snapchat. Overtime Elite will provide another source of content for the company.

Keep in mind that like many startups, it will likely not turn an actual profit for quite some time. I also suspect that they will see a massive benefit if the NBA changes its age limit rules as is expected for the next CBA. OTE might position itself as being the premier location to watch elite high school talent instead of AAU programs and high school basketball. If marketed the right way, there is potential to get the consistent viewership they’d need to eventually turn a profit.

1 Like

I understand the model itself but I don’t see how they are going to ever turn a profit.

ESPN+ required

Thinking not many care about these games and wondering how long the so called league will exist.
Many of those kids would get a whole lot more spotlight and money going to college.
I understand kids and money but can’t see how that league will survive