Hire Jeff Traylor thread /UTSA- 10 year extension @ $2.8 million per

Good article on the Arkansas coach in The Athletic. Go for the best fit, not the biggest name.

4 Likes

This is true. You get to a point when you have the wrong coach that the cost of keeping them far outweighs the cost of a $7 million buyout (recruiting, branding, attendance, alumni support, etc.)

1 Like

The best fit over the best name is accurate. I do think Traylor would be a perfect fit here. I’d love to see Traylor come in and possibly retain Belk as DC.

2 Likes

Someone should start a puppies and rainbows thread so everyone has a comfortable place to post.

Traylor is like a poor man’s Chad Morris. Give him another year to see how he recruits and replicates this season when people know he’s good. Had poor results at Arkansas.

Sure but he had a winning season his first year at UTSA and already has beaten Illinois and Memphis this year. We know he can coach.

I have seen how Holgorsen recruits and it is bleh. He has Belk and Early helping his numbers there and it still ain’t great overall.

1 Like

Arkansas has poor results at Ark …

No one is claiming Traylor to be a Knute Rockne or Bud Wilkerson or Bear Bryant …

I have seen only seven minutes of his coaching UTSA against Memphis when he was rallying his troops at the end … and I still haven’t seen what he looks like …

I am not certain what a poor man’s Chad Morris is suppose to be … Morris was a good DC at Clemson but a flop as HC at Arkansas (4 - 18) and SMU (14 - 22) … he went to Auburn as OC working for Malzahn … when Malzahn got canned … Morris was canned …

1 Like

aim higher

3 Likes

Exactly. People are forgetting we are P5 now. We can do a lot better than the suggestions come up with so far.
Besides, Holgorsen ain’t going anywhere anytime soon.

1 Like

No, we are not a P5 program now. However, we are going to become a P5 program in a couple of years.

Wow. I didn’t know Gibbs was at UCF now.

Wow that is news to me. Thanks!

I don’t think some of y’all realize how bad Holgi’s recruiting really is. Traylor already out recruited Holgi in 2021 247 Team Rankings. Literally one spot ahead, but still - it’s UTSA. As a side note, three other Sun Belt teams out recruited Holgi last year - Louisiana, Coastal Carolina and App State. So UH probably wouldn’t even compete for a conference championship in the Sun Belt under Holgi.

5 Likes

I stuck with Chad Morris due to his HS success. Same could be true for Art Briles.

I just say give him more time to see sustained college success. Tom Herman had some close wins over Memphis and Temple to play, and dominate, FSU. Then boom…beat OU…and it got wobbly after that. We saw what happened at UT. Herman seemed to be a very good recruiter based on the class he’d assembled before he left.

After reading this article, it feels like his “dream job” would be Baylor:

Nah, you went too far here. How many starters do we have that are transfers? You can criticize him for not getting more high schoolers, but its just wrong to use those rankings to say we wouldn’t compete for a championship in the Sun Belt when we have like 10 key guys who were either high recruits or top players in CUSA/SB that transferred here. Also very lazy to just use one class as justification. Even taking an extra minute to look at 2020, all those mentioned are below us. Not to mention our average recruit ranking was way higher in 2021 as well. Stop with the extremes.

4 Likes
1 Like

“I rather see threads on what’s the best way to improve as Season progesses”

GET RID OF DANA!

Very original. :unamused:

That’s different.

In the previous case they were talking about pilfering a coach FROM Houston.

We’re talking about bringing a coach TO Houston.

Apples and oranges.

247 includes transfers in the rankings now so what I said is accurate. And 2021 is his first full recruiting class so it’s fair to use that as the barometer. I think it reflects well on Traylors ability to recruit Texas.