Hire Jeff Traylor thread /UTSA- 10 year extension @ $2.8 million per

No offense, but the cheapest option is out of the question now. We ain’t in C-USA now.

1 Like

I’d be okay with any of your top three.

Actually I COULD find 10 more but they would be of the sort we would seek if we were still in the American.

if you think the criticism of our HC now is harsh or severe you should have been a student in 1962 (my last year of law school) or an alumni/supporter in 1963. Of course we didn’t have the internet so the criticism took a different form like letters to the Daily Cougar or worse hanging the HC in effigy on campus. Our strong president, Phil Hoffman, saw something that most didn’t and stayed the course and we know how that worked out. To be fair there is the other side when Helton and Dimmel became in Benjamin Franklins words “an unwanted guest who like a dead fish began to stink after 3 days.”
So for both sides we have precedent.

1 Like

I appreciate your list but you forgot Jeff Traylor!

Also Bill Clark.

You guys are funny. When Texas State hired their Coach everyone said hire him,now he is on hot seat. UTSA wins one game in last second now he is Coach to hire. Get a life,WE HAVE A COACH!!!Maybe if you spent the same effort to support him as you do ragging on him we may act like a first class school instead of Texas A and M.

8 Likes

Here here. I’m too much of Coog fan to hope for Holgy to fail. I rather see him go 8-0 rest of year n the recruits will start calling , not other way around. Win n they will come!!
#GoCoogs

7 Likes

I’ll add one to the list. I know it’s a long shot but I’ll put it out there, Bob Stoops.

2 Likes

Just straight question here… Which “first class institutions” are you speaking of that have “full and total support” for coaches with 10-14 records?

I ask because I don’t know of any institution that gets real supportive of a losing coach. Lot of schools still support the team a lot better, but not the coach. In fact in big boy land 10-14 will get you a lot worse than a “Hire this Coach thread”

4 Likes

When Chad Morris left SMU for Arkansas, Traylor was picked as interim-HC for the bowl game. Dykes was hired and Traylor left the team in the lurch as he left for Arkansas without coaching the bowl game. It’s not quite the class move that David Gibbs followed through in our game vs. Pitt. Was he secretly already hired or only hired after the bowl?

This board has been a fairly accurate barometer. There was a hire Tom Herman thread weeks before Levine got fired. Similarly, there was a hire Lane Kiffin thread before Applewhite got the boot. Just saying.

6 Likes

Remember when Chad Morris was the soup du jour?

Everyone waited with baited breath to see where he would go. So many posts wanting him here.

4 Likes

Thanks for remembering my Tom Herman post. I do believe we are premature on this thread though.

1 Like

I think there is a difference between hoping Holgi fails, and commenting on the lack of results that he has shown.

I don’t think looking at the total body of work, putting into perspective where we were, where we are now, where we’re trending, based on recruiting, etc., and then deciding that we want more is necessarily a bad thing.

We want results. Some want it in a power run game, or a run and shoot/ air raid, some want the dominating defense…but you don’t hear many say that Holgi is hitting the nail on the head. With anything.

Sure, the grass is always greener, but at the same time, having expectations and accountability isn’t a negative. Hopefully we win out. I, personally, don’t think we will, and I don’t think our current coach is the man to deliver glory on the Big XII. Doesn’t make me a bad fan.

5 Likes

Just wait until you see Belk leave for a head coaching job at a P5 school.

Some other P5 school will pay Belk a lot of money to leave trust that. I said cheapest not the worse option.

:joy: I’m just playing along. I know Dana isn’t going anywhere haha. I’m on the wait and see train for Dana, see how we finish this year. We are 3-1 so far so I’m happy.

Remember how people pined over Bob Stitt for years, and then he completely faceplanted at both of his D-1 jobs?

3 Likes

I want DH to win out and keep winning. If we come out and wet the bed at Tulsa then that’s clearly a pipe dream. TF said money won’t be the reason why coaches leave, that works with buyouts too. Traylor should be our target, strong Texas ties and if he wins CUSA he’s going somewhere.

2 Likes

That’s quite the body of work. Reminds me a bit of when we picked up Art Briles except Traylor is infinitely more qualified than Briles was then. I like it.

I’m starting to get the same feeling with CDH that I had with CTL. It’s frustrating passing on talented coaches and the opportunity costs keep compounding the longer we stick with our current coach. I’m just not confident that CDH can do much better than he is.

3 Likes