Houston adds 6-9 center Darius Bowser

I don’t think Sampson views Francis and Chaney as 4s IMO, but I just don’t know how much he trust powell and Francis right now. He said Francis will need more time in an interview this summer. I just think he wanted more size and more competition.

Never again!

Lesson learned i guess. When you’re #1 target in the transfer portal puts his name in the NBA draft. And then you have to wait on him during the NBA combine process. Its tough.

Who knows if Sasser comes back, if Lofton decides to come here. Sasser was 50-50 up until the end. And absolutely players look at how many shots they’ll get on a stacked team. Will the ball be in their hands as much.

Lofton decided May 23rd. Sasser decided the very end.

But point is, next years portal, try to target people who wont decide to turn pro during the months of March – June. And leave you high and dry

1 Like

This off season went as well as I hoped. Would have taken Lofton but also would have brought in some concerns. We are in great shape to challenge anyone so I am not about to question the roster.

1 Like

That’s not smart if true.

We will play to our strengths and they will play to theirs. I will trust what I believe to be one of the top defensive teams in the nation. The guys we have will be physical and no I don’t believe they will be killing us with isolations.

True. His defense worried me. Not much of a shot blocker.

1 Like

Shot blocking is nice but what I like even more is the ability to switch.

1 Like

Imagine what a 6-9 250 high pace big body will do in the paint. C’mon coach bishop! Get me 20lbs!

Hoping that’s what he is.

1 Like

He’s 6’9 230 right now and moves pretty well. We don’t want him to lose all his mobility and gaining 20 pounds in 2-3 months is a lot.

A heavier slower version of himself

2 Likes

Not really sure our staff was very surprised when Lofton stayed in the draft. I mean he was throwing figures out right after he announced his portal decision. I still maintain that the staff gambled and failed to land one of the top notch pure centers in the portal.
Lofton would have been nice but we will never know he would have been a good mix here. Would have been nice to have him, I think, but he was not what we needed to complete this team…

3 Likes

Carlton was a 3 star high school prospect.
Bowser was unknown.
Hope Bowser can improve well here.

Powell transferred out. So we now have 5 bigs.

If Coach Sampson wants him here that’s all that matters. He can spot talent when he sees it.

1 Like

That’s a lot of fouls to give…

1 Like

Bowser, Chaney, Walker, Francis, and Roberts.

Is this our best group of Big Men during the Sampson era?

2 Likes

no, when you add experience this might be lower 3rd of Sampson’s big core he’s had here…

last year was Sampson’s best big core… Carlton is best center of the Sampson era (1st team all league), Fabian is the winningest player in houston history ( 1s team all league)… that is the clear #1
then there are about 3 or 4 other years id take before next year… jarace is a freshmen, the other have no offense
note this is based off preseason-- francis pops out shooting 40% from 3 or something, thats a different convo

the magic of next year is the guard core, which will have a case for some historic things

1 Like

I agree - last year was better until proven wrong. Carlton simply rolled the mid-tier opponents. F. White actually managed a 10 day contract with the Lakers… so enough said there.

I think the press that has us doing so well next year is working on the assumption the freshman J. Walker is going to play lights out … I hope so. And, I really hope Chaney’s hand is 100% healed - we need Chaney to have his most productive season with us next year.

4 Likes

Walker is the most talented and most heralded under Sampson no doubt. They’re so slept on because they will do the dirty work like defend & rebound w/toughness to win!!!

1 Like

What’s it going to take to bring classic 6’10 + centers to UH ?
NIL ?