Houston Astros 2023 Season on a daily roll

James Click tried to land a CF but teams wanted too much in return. The good news….landing Mancini and Vazquez was brilliant.

The addition of Vazquez greatly enhances the offensive output at C. Mancini is capable of replacing Brantley thus allowing the team to keep a resurgent Gurriel at 1B.

Will Smith for Odorizzi?

At the time he left the Astros, Odorizzi’s ERA was 3.75. While with Atlanta, his ERA has ballooned to 5.93. The Braves have to score six runs to stay competitive with him in the game. Most likely, the Astros will use Smith for only one inning. I can hold my breath for one inning.

CF by committee doesn’t bother me. McCormick is not perfect but he can hit and hit for power. Dubon is versatile and has potential. Meyers is not ready for prime time.

Offensively and defensively, the Astros are solid from top to bottom.

The bullpen is another matter. The pitching coach has his work cut out for him but with the possibility of two starters moving to the bullpen (Garcia, McCullars or Javier) for the playoffs, our bullpen situation will be much improved.

Bullpen is very troublesome. Every time a reliever comes on and throws a first pitch ball, I feel like I am at a Coog baseball game.

3 Likes

Not sure what kind of “potential “ you are talking about with Dubon……he is horrible.

He’s 28 years old and has hit .216 with a .578 OPS.

Been in the big leagues for four years now and nobody has given him 200 AB’s ever.

He is versatile but definitely below average major leaguer.

Will Smith has actually performed a bit worse since the trade…. Not good.

Mancini has only hit .204 since being traded with a .700 OPS…… I will say that rarely getting to play two or three days in a row can be tough to gain any consistency.

Vazquez is hitting well now but has barely managed 32 AB and will resign with Sox in off season.

And the truth is none of us really know how hard Click tried to get a CF.

We need Diaz to come back healthy and dialed in before playoffs.

Sweep the Twins!!!

1 Like

I’m actually surprised they took Odorizzi in that trade. But maybe I’m still seeing Smith in a Royals uniform when he was dialed in.

I think Mancini will get it together sooner than later. I’d prefer he play more but Dusty gonna Dusty. Call me a tin-foil hat guy but Vazquez was probably the most unhappy-looking trade guy I have ever seen interviewed. Like it or not, people love playing in the Bosox organization. This is not home for him and you can see it on his face. But, I suspect he’ll be a pro about it and stay focused through the post-season. Boston, like NY, keeps you on your toes. Houston has to be like Club Med for this guy. Like a mini-vacation where the resort pays you for visiting.

2 Likes

One less team to worry about for Verlander.
Angels up for sale today. Eliminates one team who historically throws $$$ and years at great veteran players who will never be worth deal.

2 Likes

Arte selling the Halos would be a great Christmas present for me. Weve been drawing Mets comparisons lately (bleh). If a new ownership can turn them around then its probably the only thing that can save the Angels at this point.

2 Likes

JV probably just sealed the deal on his incredible Cy Young campaign.

3 Likes

Had he been a bit more efficient early in the game he might have had a shot at a no-no……it was the right call to pull him at that point…. He would have needed at least 120-130 to go all nine……not worth it.

3 Likes

I am starting to get palpitations of the heart with our bullpen.

1 Like

Right call to pull him…need him strong as bull at end of season to have solid shot at WS

1 Like

Our bullpen is really good, no need to worry too much.

Not lately. But I agree with you it is a good bullpen. It needs to be great in October.

1 Like

Our bullpen since the All-Star break has been HORRIBLE!!!

Era since the all-star break for the pen was 4.16 before last nights game.

Balls put in play against the pen hitters are averaging .344 since the break (only BOS pen has been worse).

Before Sundays game they had walked 35 batters in
84 1/3 IP (only 6 other pens have been worse).

Against the CSW + ATL the pen era was 7.16 in 16 1/3 IP.

August era before last night was 4.33 in 52 IP

Maton + Smith have been flat out pathetic.

Neris isn’t good in high leverage situations.

Yes they played 32 gms in 32 days but the rotation has also been consistently getting into the 6/7th inning.

There’s still time to right the ship but there’s definitely major concerns with the pen.

4 Likes

I’m least concerned about which ones make the starting four and most concerned with how Dusty uses the other. This is man-up time for McCullars. If Dusty decides he’s long relief then he needs to embrace it. We just need Lance to be able to go 4 strong no matter when he gets the ball. Same for Garcia. If Dusty plays it right he won’t need three late relievers. If Dusty wants Garcia coming out of the pen then good. He can do it.

2 Likes

Going back to five man rotation…… would really like to see what Cha-Cha can do in 2-3 as a bridge guy….if he knows he is going only a few innings he can really ramp up to 97-98 with his fastball……we saw it last year in a couple of playoff starts….he could really be a weapon in that capacity.

That makes the BP stronger.

When September rolls around I would like to see Hunter Brown in the same situation…… let loose for 2-3 innings….subtract Smith and Maton,

Playoff Pen

Pressly
Monterro
Abreu
Garcia
Brown
Neris
Stanek
Urquidy

SP

JV
Framber
CJ
Lance

That is a pretty sick staff in any series.

1 Like

I think youre the only one on the board that feels that way. Things might change when a couple of the starters join the ranks, but right now its incredible unreliable. Definitely the teams biggest weak spot.

1 Like

I wouldn’t worry so much about reliever ERA, especially over a short sample size.

Over the last thirty days the Astros’ pen is first in K/9, second in FIP, second in xFIP. They’ve had a non super elite stretch here but over all still very good.

Sounds like you’ve got a mild case of recency bias.

For the love of baseball, when Diaz comes back can we please release Dubon….so bad.

Dusty’s CF looks like a little leaguer in LF as ball rolls right by him to the wall….

And Montero has crapped the bed again.

Montero’s mechanics look way out of wack

And agree 100 on Dubon, he’s awful

1 Like